Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The idea of Andean bears being kept in barren grottoes is rather alien to me! Though maybe I have been spoilt by the amazing exhibits at Chester and Zurich!

Mathijs and aardvark250 like this.
  2. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Don't forget the gorgeous fish/reptile paludarium. I think I may have enjoyed that singular display more than the bear exhibit (not that I didn't enjoy the bear enclosure). This section was probably the best part of my visit there.

Mathijs likes this.
  3. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yep. A lot of those exhibits aged out and got repurposed in places like Detroit, Columbus, and Cincinnati (to a lesser extent). Bronx's really stands the test of time.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And none of those Hagenbeck-inspired (or even Hagenbeck-designed) exhibits incorporated the iconic predator/prey illusions of the Hamburg original, while the lion/nyala setup at the Bronx pulls it off brilliantly. Milwaukee’s late 50’s version of the concept was lessened by formulaic repetition and distractingly abstract and visually-overpowering rockwork.

5. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bronx is the only one I've seen in which I had to concentrate to see that the animals were separated. Columbus tried the predator/prey concept and it was less than impressive. Cincinnati kind of half tries it in the new Africa complex with lions and the main yard, but again, it's pretty obvious.

6. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Columbus did it again (much more successfully) with Heart of Africa.

BenFoxster and TinoPup like this.
  7. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

The exhibit itself is stunning, but the indoor viewing has the most perfectly placed windows that focus your eyes on three different parts of the exhibit. They could have done it as one full windowed wall, but the partitions are great and definitely have purpose. One for the “underwater” viewing, one for the tree trunk, and one to see further back into the exhibit.

JVM, TinoPup, CMP and 1 other person like this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Expedition Peru is easily America's best Andean/Spectacled Bear exhibit, but, as has been mentioned, there are some amazing ones in European zoos. Chester, Zurich, Duisburg and Frankfurt are all excellent, but perhaps my favourite would be Givskud Zoo in Denmark. There are three huge, naturalistic exhibits in a corner of the zoo that can easily keep visitors busy for half an hour. In terms of size, it's the largest Andean Bear complex of any zoo in the world.

The predator/prey conversation is fascinating, even though it has briefly taken the thread off on a tangent. That's okay...the more feedback the merrier, right?

It's a very fine line between a subpar predator/prey exhibit and a truly great set of habitats. Caldwell Zoo (Texas) is a good example. When I visited in 2010, I took this image of the African Lion exhibit and in the background is a sprawling savanna for Greater Kudu, Impala, Grevy's Zebras, Warthogs, Ostriches, African Crowned Cranes and Marabou Storks.

[​IMG]

This next photo, also from 2010, shows a rather seamless TRIO of exhibits. Lions, then the big savanna, then an African Elephant enclosure. I think it looks great because it blurs the line between habitats.

[​IMG]

However, the view (in 2010) from the opposite direction destroys the illusion because the rockwork moat is clearly visible:

[​IMG]

When I re-visited the zoo in 2015, the savanna had some changes to its animal lineup and a fence had been added. It's a fine line between greatness and disappointment.

[​IMG]

9. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Neil chace mentioned he would be surprised if Bronx had six or seven exhibits included on this list, and surprised he may very well be. I did make sure to make as diversified of a list as possible where no one zoo would completely dominate, but compared to Europe there aren't quite as many collections to choose from. "Europes 100 must-see exhibits" featured a total of 69 different zoos, while this list will only have a little over 50. This means that a few select zoos will have quite a number of exhibits make the cut and I will say that there is at least one zoo that has a total of seven exhibits featured, the most on the list. It's important to remember that just because an exhibit small doesn't mean it's any less worthy of being included. To outshine an elaborate mega-complex, sometimes all it takes is a unique focus that's done well.

While the discussion regarding predator and prey panoramas is a bit off-topic, it won't be for much longer. Profile #4 will cover an exhibit that, in my opinion, includes one of the best executed versions of this set-up on the whole continent, so please feel free to keep the conversation going.

And to those following along in real time, sincerely hope you had a merry Christmas! :)

Last edited: 26 Dec 2022
  10. pachyderm pro

3. St. Vincent Dolphin Pavilion
    Indianapolis Zoo, IN
    Opened: 1989 (dome added in 2005)
    Size: 2.3 Million Gallons (8.7 Million Liters)
    Inhabitants: Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin

Dolphin stadiums have become an outdated concept in zoos and general trends indicate they are well on their way out. This stadium is a rather significant exception to that trend. What was originally a rather standard dolphinarium was enhanced by the addition of an underwater glass dome situated directly at the center of the tank. At 12 feet tall with a 30 foot diameter, the dolphins can swim above, below and beside guests from every angle. The Dolphin Dome is an easy crowd-pleaser and is quite a spectacle for the public, although it did mean a reduction in space for the dolphins themselves. Even before the dome was added the tank was admittedly already rather small by modern standards. Dolphin captivity is controversial no doubt, but luckily in the event dolphins are eventually phased out, this tank could easily be converted into an excellent aquarium for just about any other form of aquatic life with the dome still acting as the glorious centerpiece. Regardless, being completely submerged in the middle of a large tank and surrounded by a pod of nearly a dozen cetaceans is both a unique and rather tranquil zoo experience.

[​IMG]
    @Grizzly Hound
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle

Similar Exhibits: There's nothing else quite like this for cetaceans. However, there is another impressive underwater dome in the middle of Seattle Aquarium's puget sound tank - featuring a wide variety of pacific northwest native fish.

[​IMG]

@bubblywums
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard

11. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

This inclusion may start a debate…

Mathijs likes this.
  12. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

Huh. Wasn’t expecting to see my childhood zoo here for anything but the orang center, if you decided that was, in fact, Great. Or maybe the macaws. Maybe. The three exhibits + pavilion add something that any one exhibit wouldn’t have. Indy does some bad, most passable, a little good, very little great when it comes to exhibit design. They focus more on their ABC species over the aesthetics of the whole operation, which by and large haven’t changed since the facility opened in the late 80s. Impressive if you want to see walruses, cetaceans, elephants, great apes, grizzlies, and two species of big cat in one day. Otherwise…

Actually, come to think of it, is Indy the only US zoos with both cetaceans and elephants?

Well, let’s talk about the cetaceans part. I’ll skirt around the ethical question because you did and not doing so could derail the thread. Fun fact: they used to have false killer whales in there (with the dolphins, I think, but before my time). Admittedly, this was well before the dome was built. The dome’s a really great place to sit and vibe on less busy days. It does echo a lot, which undermines the peacefulness on busier days. When it’s only you or older patrons in there, though? Perfect. Just plop yourself down somewhere, listen to the music, and watch the dolphins swim. I prefer visiting near the end of the day when the crowds are smaller.

Really cool to see Indiana represented on this list for anything lol. I was trying to think of what else the state had and could really only come up with Amazonia down in Mesker Park and maybe the African Veldt in Fort Wayne as an honorable mention in another entry.

Mathijs, ZooElephantMan and CMP like this.
  13. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well keep in mind there's a difference between being a "must see" exhibit and being one of the best exhibits in the country. I'm sure there is a number of attractions (this being one of them), that wouldn't be included in a list of the best zoo exhibits in the country, but are included because they achieve something unique that nowhere else is able to. After the first exhibit of the thread, I created my own list of 99 Zoo exhibits that I'm guessing would be included (so far I'm two for two for correct guesses), and I certainly included a few exhibits that I (and most people) would not include in a list of best exhibits, but due to their uniqueness or their historical value, do warrant inclusion as a must-see exhibit. This was a point of debate in last year's 50 exhibits thread also, especially surrounding Central Park Zoo, as some zoos made the list for reasons other than being the "best".

birdsandbats, Mathijs, JVM and 3 others like this.
  14. toxodon

toxodon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am excited to see what is considered to be the must sees. So far the list has been great.

Mathijs and Lota lota like this.
  15. pachyderm pro

I'd very curious to see how your list compares to mine, so if you'd like you can send it to me and I'll let you know how accurate it is (unless you don't want me to tell you). This goes for anyone else as well, as it really is fun to see others opinions.

Mathijs likes this.
  16. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not only did Antwerp Zoo pioneer the use of darkened public space as a barrier for birds, but many of the innovative techniques and concepts showcased in the World of Birds were first experimented with in an earlier Bronx Zoo project—1964’s Aquatic Bird House. Open-fronted exhibits; naturalistically-planted spaces; a strong interpretive graphics program highlighting concepts of habitat and ecological niche; “treetops” level and underwater viewing; circuitous public circulation that reveals unexpected views around each turn; detailed replications of trees and rocks—all of these elements were debuted in Bill Conway’s first major building project at the Bronx. However, unlike the subsequent WOB, the Aquatic Bird House has not been modernized and today definitely looks and feels dated. Most of the World of Birds was significantly renovated in the 90s, and the building continues to receive attention as exemplified by the recently added 50th anniversary graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Dec 2022
  17. pachyderm pro

4. Heart of Africa
    Columbus Zoo, OH
    Opened: 2014
    Size: 43 Acres (17.5 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: Masai Giraffe, Grant’s Zebra, African Lion, Cheetah, Vervet Monkey, Dromedary Camel, Ostrich, various antelope and more.

American zoos are stereotyped for their love of thematic man-made creations in their exhibits. Although that’s a fairly broad generalization, it’s exhibits like these that prove that’s not entirely inaccurate either. The real challenge is if you can integrate the thematics without a negative impact on animal welfare, which this complex has done an excellent job of. A crashed jet plane through the window of the lion exhibit or a patio barbecue overrun by a group of vervets may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they do create memorable vistas for guests and enrichment for the animals. The beautiful multi-acre savanna avoids this style entirely and the rolling hills make it appear as if the exhibit goes on forever, obscuring the adjacent suburban neighborhood. It essentially serves as a continuous backdrop to the other enclosures which limits up-close viewing opportunities, but flows effortlessly with the lion habitat and a smaller giraffe yard in the foreground. The waterhole habitat is a jack-of-all-trades display rotating through dozens of different species. Depending on the time you come by, you can find everything from warthogs to aardvarks to hyenas. For the amount of space the zoo had to work with, it does make one wish more species were present and it’s a shame further plans for hippos, rhinos, baboons and other species never materialized. Either way, what has been realized is fantastic and proves that theming can be done right, even when it’s a tad over the top.

[​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Milwaukee Man
    [​IMG]
    @Milwaukee Man
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Amnesiac

Similar Exhibits: There are countless African savanna complexes across the continent, far too many to name here and several that will appear on the list later on. I would like to highlight another midwestern savanna that also has strong theming, but in a more subdued manner: Wild Africa at Binder Park Zoo. It's disconnected from the original zoo and can only be accessed by a short tram ride or a 15 minute walk through the forest. The 18 acre savanna enclosure is the showstopper and is stunning, lacking any visible barriers. Adjacent enclosures for carnivores, primates and birds blend right in the surrounding woodlands and are aesthetically pitch perfect. Until recently there was an African farm area that focused on domestic livestock and fowl, although recent reports indicate it may be gone or in the process of being rebuilt.

[​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'll come out and say it. We all know what has happened with dolphin deaths at the Indianapolis Zoo. Over three dozen dolphins have died in this exhibit. Can any exhibit with this kill record be considered a great exhibit, no matter how spectacular it is from a human visitor perspective? It's an important question if we are being honest about the animal welfare dimension of an exhibit.

JessKimber, ifesbob, TNT and 8 others like this.
  19. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Animal welfare comes before human entertainment. An exhibit with poor animal welfare cannot be considered a great or must see exhibit.

JessKimber likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know what I'm missing here, but I've read through this several times and I still can't see why it is "must see" - especially when you have followed it up after the photos by saying "Similar Exhibits: There are countless African savanna complexes across the continent, far too many to name here and several that will appear on the list later on."