Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

62. Migratory Songbird Aviary
    Columbus Zoo, OH
    Opened: 1997
    Size: 8,000 Square Feet (740 Square Meters)
    Inhabitants: 30 species of North American bird including American Robin, Mourning Dove, White-Faced Ibis, Wood Thrush, Sora and more.

Considering Columbus is known for its excessive theming and amusement park atmosphere, it’s a little surprising that one of the zoo's most impactful displays is one of its most subdued. Many guests view native birds as animals they can frequently see in their own backyard and rarely spend any valuable time observing them at zoos. In this aviary visitors are encouraged to linger and learn to appreciate migratory birds in a tranquil woodland environment. It’s primarily used as a rehabilitation facility for native birds of varying sizes and as a result the stocklist changes frequently depending on what's are being cared for, but is usually quite extensive and highlights some wonderful little species. Songbirds are the primary focus and can reliably be found in the densely forested portion of the aviary while the various waterfowl and wading birds can frequently be seen in and around the pond area. It's definitely not the largest aviary, but birders can still spend plenty of time searching for all of the tiny oddities hidden among the foliage. While the presentation may appear entirely simple, the landscaping is very well done and this is one of the most brilliant showcases of native birds you'll find in a zoo.

This aviary is very underrepresented in the ZooChat gallery. If anybody has some additional photos of the exhibit, I encourage you to post them here.

[​IMG]
    @blospz
    [​IMG]
    @Buckeye092
    [​IMG]
    @TinoPup
    [​IMG]
    @TinoPup

Similar Exhibits: The state of Ohio has a few other notable local bird aviaries. Akron Zoo's native bird walkthrough is quite good, although viewing is rather limited. Another impressive native songbird aviary just two hours north at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. This is another aviary that focuses on rehabilitating rescued birds and while the collection and structure is much smaller than the Columbus aviary, there are multiple levels to view the birds from.

Akron Zoo

[​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle

Cleveland Museum of Natural History

[​IMG]
    @geomorph

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

About time Columbus made its move. It’s slipped well behind the other top tier zoos.

3. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

No idea why I continuously underestimate this exhibit. Both in not thinking it would make this list and every time I visit the aquarium. I always assume I'll just speed through it and see the big tank and then I'll find myself at the Engineer Gobies for half an hour.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2023
    BenFoxster and birdsandbats like this.
  4. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An interesting and certainly unexpected pick. While it doesn't stand out to me as an obvious "must-see", I don't hate it's inclusion either, and can understand the rationale. I'm a big fan of walk-through aviaries, and also a big fan of when zoos highlight native species, and since this exhibit hits both those, I can certainly agree that it is a great exhibit. Is it flashy in the way some exhibits on this list are? No. Is it what I immediately think of as a "must-see exhibit" or even when I think of Columbus Zoo? Also no. But I can get behind this exhibit's inclusion much easier than I can a lot of the other smaller picks.

5. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

This does look like a nice aviary, but I fail to see how this differs from other walk through aviaries. Columbus is known for its Heart of Africa, Polar Frontier, and Asia Quest, not this aviary.

BenFoxster likes this.
  6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This might answer your question:

Your perspective differs from mine, as a (hopeful) future overseas visitor to Columbus. This aviary sounds fantastic.

7. Neil chace

"Known for" and must-see are definitely not the same thing. I agree that Columbus isn't "known for" this aviary, but plenty of zoos have an exhibit they are "known for" that is different than what their "best" exhibit is. If this thread was 100 exhibits that zoos were known for, then this would be an absurd pick, but this thread is "100 must-see exhibits", a much more subjective list that this exhibit is a much more defendable inclusion into. Personally, I was expecting three Columbus exhibits on this list (Heart of Africa, Polar Frontier, Congo Expedition), but I can get behind this inclusion even though it was an unexpected one.

CMP, Fallax, TZDugong and 4 others like this.
  8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

63. Lied Jungle
    Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo, NE
    Opened: 1992
    Size: 123,000 Square Feet (11,430 Square Meters)
    Inhabitants: Roughly 70 species including White-cheeked Gibbon, Francois' Langur, Malayan Tapir, Pygmy Hippo, Egyptian Fruit Bat, >20 bird species and a range of other mammals, reptiles, amphibians and fish.

Director Lee G. Simmons had an ambitious vision to make the once little known Henry Doorly Zoo a trailblazer in the zoological world, and constructing America’s largest rainforest house was the first step towards realizing that vision. Arnhem had already created an immersive rainforest environment a few years prior, but something of that scale had never been done before in the states. With over 2,000 live plants in an expansive 1.2 acre atrium, the rainforest was seen as so realistic that it initially triggered Vietnam war veterans to have flashbacks. It’s a truly iconic exhibit, although its flaws become more glaring upon closer inspection. The amount of things included under one roof means that the rainforest atmosphere is never able to truly dominate and there are a lot of visible pipes and obvious concrete walls with washed out murals. Keeping tapirs and pygmy hippos indoors 24/7 is rather unfortunate even if the conditions have been marginally improved, plus the primate islands really aren’t anything special if you strictly judge the area they can access and not the surrounding vegetation. With that said, there are some truly amazing sights to see here. The water moats surrounding the primate islands are stocked with impressive larger fish like arapaima and Mekong giant catfish. Hundreds of birds are in free flight and there are also an estimated 750 fruit bats with full range of the building. The lower level of the building has a bit less going on so the attempt at immersion better succeeds, with a barrierless Amazon stingray pool being a highlight. The furnishings are stunning and although it doesn't always follow through on providing the perfect rainforest recreation, the Lied Jungle is still one of the most awe-inspiring zoo buildings of all time.

[​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro

Similar Exhibits: You'll find out at a later time.

9. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

Was at opening day at Lied Jungle as a youngster. Despite the number of species going down over the years, it is still my all time favorite exhibit and won’t be topped.

10. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

One of my favorite exhibits at Shedd, with some very nice individual tanks with many interesting species. It works better than Amazon Rising IMO, although Amazon Rising does have a much more naturalistic feel. Wild Reef relies quite heavily on fake coral reefs and moc rock, both inside and out of the tanks, and that is honestly its biggest fault.
    I think there are somewhat similar exhibits around, steinhart aquarium also has a representation of a Philippine reef, but although the main tank is larger and more impressive, the exhibit as a whole is smaller.

BenFoxster and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. Pleistocene891

This is a good rainforest building and definitely must see but I will say that it's a bit disappointing that this is arguably the best America has to offer when it comes to indoor rainforests, especially when compared to Europe's best indoor rainforests.

12. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is not the best. It’s most redeeming feature was the ground level pathway with no-barrier access to a shallow, fish-filled stream—now closed off for years. The best US rainforest exhibit is a building that served as the inspiration for the Lied Jungle, which I expect will be popping up here soon!

BenFoxster, Otter Lord and Ituri like this.
  13. Neil chace

I mean, best is an inherently subjective distinction. A strong case can be made that Lied Jungle is in fact the best US rainforest exhibit, but an equally strong case can also be made for the exhibit that I think you are referring to.

14. Pleistocene891

Even the exhibit you’re referring to pales in comparison to Europe’s best rainforest buildings.

15. reduakari

Masoala and Burgers Bush are fantastic, though both lack some of the the drama that comes with the megafauna and exquisitely-detailed simulated Dipterocarps, carefully controlled sightlines and other features of the 1985 exhibit in question. Gondwanaland is awesome but cartoonish, as is Emmen. It’s interesting that the rainforest “megastructure” trend continues to expand in Europe but has largely been abandoned in the US.

BenFoxster and StoppableSan like this.
  16. Pleistocene891

So why would Lied Jungle be worse than the “1985 exhibit? I’ve see both and thought they were roughly on the same level.

17. reduakari

Attention to detail (more accurately crafted artificial trees, rocks, murals, plantings), fewer egregiously small exhibits (with one glaring exception), better choreographed sequence of experiences, much better graphics and interpretation, carefully controlled sightlines to minimize sense of being in a building. All pretty subtle distinctions but important to me…its all subjective. Both are amazing experiences no zoo in the US has come close to matching.

18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At their USDA inspection last July Omaha had over 1,700 Egyptian Fruit Bats - which is a lot of bats!

19. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And that's on top of the flying foxes!

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omaha's total bats at that inspection was over 2,550 individuals of 11 species, so quite batty!