Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

70. Red Rocks
    Saint Louis Zoo, MO
    Opened: c.1930
    Size: 10 Acres (4 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: Roughly 20 ungulate species as well as Red Kangaroo, Tammar Wallaby and several larger birds.

The days of zoos having an elaborate series of hoofstock yards is long gone, which makes this exhibit a cherished remnant that has held up shockingly well. Red Rocks is essentially a maze of grassy hoofstock paddocks that are very simple, but extremely pleasing to the eye. The sightlines are excellent thanks to the use of gentle slopes which provide open views. Besides a few larger multi-species savanna paddocks with giraffe, kudu, ostrich and the like, a majority of the yards only contain one ungulate species which makes it easier to appreciate each one individually. The name of this hoofstock cornucopia is interpreted in the most literal way possible, as the facades of these paddocks are large boulders constructed out of real rock, bearing a particular red shade. These particularly benefit the mountain-inhabiting ungulates like takin, goral and urial who are able to scale the rocks to reach higher points in the enclosures. The outdoor paddocks are complimented nicely by a WPA era antelope house that unlike many others of its kind in the US is still accessible to visitors. Seeing different variations of similar paddocks can become a tad repetitive and the layout is slightly confusing, but in an age where ungulate collections are being dramatically downsized it's easy to appreciate an exhibit such as this one.

[​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard

1. Giraffe, Lesser Kudu and Ostrich Exhibit
    2. Lesser Kudu, Soemmerring’s Gazelle and Saddle-billed Stork Exhibit
    3. Transcaspian Urial Exhibit
    4. Sichuan Takin and Chinese Goral Exhibit
    5. Somali Wild Ass Exhibit
    6. Javan Banteng and Sarus Crane Exhibit
    7. Antelope House

Similar Exhibits: None.

2. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

When I went in January the building was closed to visitors. Unsure if that was temporary maintenance or part of the construction for the giraffe feeding station.

Mathijs likes this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

This is a good point too. It's easy to assume that because hummingbirds are small you could fit many of them into one exhibit and make a great display - but as anyone who has spent a lot of time around hummingbirds can attest, they chase and spar with each other constantly. They will also divebomb humans during nesting season, they are that bold and aggressive. I'm not actually sure how the Desert Museum maintains so many peacefully in that aviary; I wasn't in there long, but I didn't see any signs of aggression. They seem to have 1-2 individuals of each species, so maybe that helps keeps intraspecies conflict down.

I appreciate you including this on your list, as I know it's not one of your personal favorites. The sample I quoted above captures a lot of the reason I think it's one of the best hoofstock displays we have in the States: it's simple but effective, both in terms of design and in terms of animal welfare and management. Having lots of smaller (but mostly still spacious) yards rather than one large mixed-species exhibit allows for species with a range of temperaments and needs to be held at one time. The fact that it's held up more or less as is for almost a century is more than most zoo exhibits can say too.

It also just feels like a nice stroll through a grassy park with peaceful grazers, which IMO is a valuable experience to retain when so many zoo exhibits nowadays are about highlights and flashiness. It's more of a "traditional zoological gardens" vibe than a "mega-budget zoo theme park" vibe we get a lot elsewhere.

matzek, Youssarian, Therabu and 10 others like this.
  4. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

Are there any plans to renovate Red Rocks in the future? Ungulates exhibit complexes are becoming even more rare in zoos and I wouldn’t be surprised if red rocks got some type of renovation.

Mathijs likes this.
  5. pachyderm pro

I'll admit that perhaps I was a bit harsh on the exhibit when I reviewed the zoo a few months ago. I'm still not a fan of how repetitive it can be seeing more or less the same kind of enclosure again and again, but the more I've thought about the exhibit the more it's grown on me. It really was quite tranquil walking around an old-school setting filled with scenic hoofstock paddocks. This is one of the last places in the US where you can still find this style of exhibitry and the fact it’s been around for close to century speaks volume to its success as an exhibit for animals. Seeing some really neat species that aren't very common elsewhere was also a great bonus: Transcaspian urial, Chinese goral, Speke's gazelle, Soemmerring's gazelle, Addra gazelle, Javan banteng and Somali wild ass among others, plus Nile lechwe which arrived shortly after I visited. It isn't my personal favorite exhibit, but I can respect it and appreciate it for the experience it provides and I think I'll appreciate it more the next time I visit the zoo.
    Many years ago it was slated to be replaced by the planned 'Silk Road' exhibit that was discussed earlier, although that plan never came to fruition. There are currently no plans to replace the exhibit and the only upcoming renovation is the addition of a giraffe feeding deck.

Mathijs, ifesbob, IndianRhino and 3 others like this.
  6. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I'm very happy that this exhibit was included, as it is now my favorite at St. Louis, although the two biggest houses were closed on my most recent visit. As someone who really appreciates species diversity, I don't mind the somewhat repetitive nature, and I actually really enjoy it. The enclosures, as mentioned, are very pleasant to look at and stroll through, and preserve the kind of feel I find is my favorite at zoos- that zoological park one you mentioned, rather than a mega-budget zoo. It is part of the reason I really would like to make it over to Europe, where this seems to be the preferred presentation of zoological exhibits.

7. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is certainly valid criticism of this complex, and part of the reason I'm personally not a big fan of most reptile houses. As for Red Rocks, this is an exhibit I didn't expect to see on here, in part due to your criticisms of it in the past, however it is certainly an exhibit that I can agree deserves a place on this list, both in terms of the wide diversity of ungulates on display and also the historic value and welfare benefits of this style of exhibitry.
    That being said, I would disagree with the fact that for similar exhibits you wrote "none". While there may perhaps be nothing of quite the same scale as Red Rocks, there are certainly plenty of zoos will smaller rows of "hoofstock yards" that follow the same general style of exhibitry achieved in Red Rocks. While nowhere near the same scale, as the zoo is of course much smaller, Buffalo Zoo for instance has a nice row of single-species ungulate habitats along the back wall of the zoo, housing Bison, Gemsbok, Zebra, Roan, and Addax. While of course a much smaller zoo and therefore a much smaller collection, there are other examples such as this one that also display ungulates in a prominent manner that may have been worth highlighting amongst "similar exhibits".

Mathijs, TZDugong, ifesbob and 2 others like this.
  8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Try outside AZA if you want rows of hoofstock paddocks ;) Maybe I'll like red rocks more in person, but from photos I don't find it appealing at all.

9. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

From an animal management perspective, facilities like Red Rocks (which I agree, is quite pleasant to walk around) appeal to me a lot more than big, mixed savannahs. It's easier to separate groups, manage breeding and social dynamics (many facilities don't breed in mixed-species exhibits so as not to upset social dynamics), and house species that may be too delicate or aggressive to mix well with others. It also makes it easier to customize care. For the same reason, I always have liked bird houses with single-species exhibits just as much (in some ways better) than the giant walk-through aviaries.

matzek, Youssarian, Therabu and 11 others like this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I ended up really liking it when I visited, I had previously thought it looked boring from photos. I think it helps that in-person, the rocks are more obviously real - those red rocks are not mock!

11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That does help a lot, in photos they look very fake! Weird fake-looking real rocks :D

Mathijs and Neil chace like this.
  12. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

I haven't been to STL zoo but the red rocks actually look quite nice to me in pictures. I'm just not a fan of the exhibit due to almost every paddock looking the same.

Mathijs likes this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think you'll find you may not care so much in-person. The different paddock shapes, background scenery, and inhabitants do a lot.

14. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These “rocks” are most certainly man-made! There may be a few scattered small boulders in the foreground that are real (and well-matched with the artificial), but the shapes and arrangements of the rockwork hiding holding buildings and barriers are outstanding examples of very well crafted concrete, in the tradition of the zoo’s other early exhibits for bears and small mammals.

15. pachyderm pro

71. Penguin Coast
    Maryland Zoo, MD
    Opened: 2014
    Size: 20,000 Square Feet (1,850 Square Meters)
    Inhabitants: African Penguin, Great White Pelican, White-brested Cormorant

Housing a group of close to 100 penguins, this is the single largest outdoor penguin exhibit in the US. Baltimore has a long history with African penguins, having successfully bred over 1,000 chicks since the 60s, and this habitat is a testament to that achievement. This excellently themed exhibit is modeled after a South African coastline with a 185,000 gallon pool. With the holding building placed at the center of the enclosure, the pool can be completely circumnavigated by guests and viewed from every angle. An education center imitating an abandoned guano mining settlement contains quality interpretive displays and a spacious underwater viewing pavilion. Here a dump tank will unleash 1,000 gallons of water over the heads of guests that rushes into the main pool creating tidal waves for the birds. The sheer amount of penguins on display is impressive as is, but also adding to the display are two other coastal birds: great white pelican and white-brested cormorant. The dynamic movement of the waves and frisky personalities of its inhabitants keep the exhibit in constant motion and there is never a dull moment to be had.

[​IMG]
    @TinoPup
    [​IMG]
    @TinoPup
    [​IMG]
    @TinoPup

Similar Exhibits: Cincinnati Zoo also mixes African penguins with a selection of coastal birds. This enclosure is a revamped version of an old pinniped pool so naturally the attention to detail isn't as elaborate, but the display is still quite lively nonetheless.

[​IMG]
    @Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle

16. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A brilliant addition! I'm glad Maryland Zoo made the list! The Zoo has an impressive conservation program that they support in South Africa (SANCOB) as well as a founding member of the Namibian equivalent to SANCOB. Truly some impressive conservation work, breeding program, and exhibit for a mid-size zoo often overlooked.

17. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Considering Pachy is from Chicago, I wonder why LPZ's hoofstock yards were not at least mentioned as being similar either. The layout is very similar.

Mathijs and Neil chace like this.
  18. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gradual downsize in species + it's not as big as Red Rocks to my understanding, though I don't want to speak for Pachyderm Pro.

Mathijs and Wild wolverine like this.
  19. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm a big fan of hoofstock species, and Red Rocks is an exhibit that still has a wide variety of hoofstock, some of which are quite hard to find in zoos. I think St Louis may have one of the most diverse hoofstock/antelope collections in the country. At least the most diverse I've seen. A lot of my thoughts on the exhibits have already been expressed by others, but it was one of my favorite parts of my St Louis Zoo visit. My only issue with the area is the building-which was also closed during my visit- but those exhibits look terribly outdated.

Mathijs and Pleistohorse like this.
  20. pachyderm pro

I suppose I could have given Lincoln Park's hoofstock loop a mention, although it's definitely not anywhere near the scale of Red Rocks. Many of the paddocks are viewed from rather awkward angles and the rockwork is much less attractive. It's one of the most forgettable parts of the zoo in my opinion, although for what it's worth it serves it's purpose just fine and I appreciate that some species have multiple enclosures for separation when needed.
    They aren't any worse than most zoos hoofstock barns, Saint Louis is just one of the few in the US that allows public access - although given how frequently the building is closed that access is definitely limited. While they aren't very nice to look at, the stalls are perfectly adequate as winter holding.

Therabu, CMP, Mathijs and 4 others like this.