Join our zoo community

And Trump's Pick for Head of the EPA is…

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Giant Panda, 8 Dec 2016.

1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A climate change denier!

Not to get embroiled in politics, but since this is a conservation forum, the Washington Post has reported that Scott Pruitt is Donald Trump's choice for Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Pruitt is pro-fossil fuel, anti-regulation, and currently suing the EPA over global warming. His nomination has not yet been approved by Congress.

Trump names Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma attorney general suing EPA on climate change, to head the EPA

My views on this are probably pretty clear, but what do American ZooChatters think? Given that we're presumably more environmentally conscious than the general population, does anyone here support this decision? If so, why? I'm not looking to shoot people down; this is genuine interest.

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Climate change denial in the United States began as a propaganda campaign by oil corporations and the Koch brothers to protect their interests. Conservative politicians then jumped on the bandwagon because the Koch brothers and oil CEOs donate money to their campaigns, and because they realized it was an issue they could use to galvanize voters and get re-elected.

Most polls find that a majority of Americans believe in man-made climate change, myself among them. It annoys me to no end that whether or not climate change is real is considered a legitimate debate in my country. The movement is based in ignorance and greed, not in fact or genuine concern. The fact that Trump and other conservative leaders are allowing this movement to be embraced and encouraged horrifies me.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe during the campaign Trump said he either wanted to reduce or completely eliminate the EPA, so this is not surprising. At least two of my co-workers who were rabidly pro Trump also said man made climate change is a farce.

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No matter what the hell happens remember, the Bush Administration wanted to do the exact same thing and could they dismantle the EPA? No. Here's a whole article about how hard it could be for Trump and Pruitt: Trump's EPA pick may struggle to dismantle Obama's environmental legacy

Also know that in the last few years, most of the cases in which climate-related actions and regulations have been acted on are on the state level, and like Coelacanth said, most people in America believe in climate change, and that it's our fault. So if the circus comes to down, people are going to stand up and they are going to oppose 100%. Here's an example: Cities all over the world, 60% of the cause of man-made Co2 are standing up and are going to move forward on their fight against climate change with or without Trump or the fedral government: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/mike-bloomberg-donald-trump-climate-change.html?_r=0

In other news: Al Gore’s new climate change movie arrives just in time

5. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member