Join our zoo community

Closed Animal ID

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Elephas Maximus, 10 Feb 2014.

1. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

There are many correcly identified animal pics in "To be Identified" gallery.
    Those should be moved to their respective galleries - for a certain zoo or a certain country's wildlife.

2. Elephas Maximus

Seriously, they need to be moved! So only the doubtful and un-identified pics will leave.

3. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't even know there was a "To Be Identified" gallery! If I need something identified I post it in the zoo where it was taken.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it isn't as simple as waving a magic wand. It depends firstly on moderators having the time to do it, but also it is going to be a lot of work because there are almost 400 photos in there and to move ID'd photos to their respective galleries means looking at each one individually to see which zoo it belongs to and whether it has been identified satisfactorily etc (and also some people re-upload the same photo to the right gallery after identification so you'd end up with duplicate photos in those galleries).

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have reduced the ID gallery to just over 130 photos. All identified photos have been moved to their respective zoo galleries (or "other" or "wildlife"), or deleted if they were useless. With ID shots of wild animals the identified ones have either been moved to the "wildlife" galleries, or deleted if they were not good enough to bother keeping.

The only photos left in the ID gallery are:
    1) ones for which no identification has been attempted;
    2) ones where the identification suggestions are not solid;
    3) where no locality for the photo is given (so they cannot be moved anywhere);
    and 4) where there are currently no forum sections (i.e. Burma and Mongolia).

Any complaints let me know.

6. Elephas Maximus

Thanks!!!
    I'll try to help ID the remaining ones :)