Join our zoo community

Animal Map of Great Britain

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by amur leopard, 13 Jul 2021.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi all,

Some of you may or may not have seen my (in progress) map of Chester Zoo over in the UK forums. Unfortunately, that has had to be put on hold due to to a broken laptop so I have started an entirely new project, this time focused around wildlife.

You may have seen a few similar maps to this laying around the Internet at some point - it's essentially an attempt to form the image of Great Britain using the shapes of the animals that inhabit it. I've started in the North with Scotland and am slowly working my way downwards. All the animals depicted are actually found where I've placed them on the map to make it a more accurate depiction. Of course this project is in its early stages but I've managed to complete around half of Scotland and I'm thinking about what animals to show further down the island. Here is my drawing so far:

scotland detail 1.PNG

While it may look a bit rough at the moment, I hope that it will imminently actually resemble the shape of Scotland :D.

Hopefully the animals depicted are fairly recognisable (Red deer, European crested tit, Pine marten, Scottish wildcat, Bank vole, Scottish crossbill, White-tailed eagle and Common eider).

Planning this is actually really quite fun as it is a bit like a jigsaw puzzle (with a bit of room for error since I can use any pose of the animals in question).

So, does anyone have any species they request to be on there?

Hope you like it,

AL

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not entirely sure why you've gone with Bank Vole there precisely :p it's not exactly the most iconic (or unique-to-location) of Scottish species!

However, on the subject of voles you should probably have Orkney Vole (a subspecies of Common Vole, a taxon otherwise absent from the UK) on there.

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't exactly remember the thought process but I was of course thinking rodent as soon as I saw the gap and I think I decided on it fairly randomly. Fair enough though, it was a puzzling choice.

Definitely, if I can fit it on. I think I'm planning a puffin and a vole for the Orkneys, then a Golden eagle on Lewis and Harris. I reckon I'll definitely have a Mountain hare in Scotland as well but debating some other choices (as for whether they fit, I don't know).