Join our zoo community

Animal Quiz

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by ZYBen, 24 Mar 2006.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

well it was over a tonne

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes it was, it stood 11 feet one and a half inches tall

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Just to kick start the Quiz again, some of you were close so lets move on from that, Zooboy you were close with this answer so its over to you. The weight was 1002kgs or 2210lbs in the old money.

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

Captive elephants

How Many Captive (zoological not circus) elephants are in Australia, give numbers(males/females/unknown), name of institute and species(asian or African).

To kick off, i will include zoos who own elephants so taronga and melbourne to kick start list;

Mebourne Zoo 1.4.0
    Taronga Zoo 1.4.0

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Heres my try,

Asians
    Mebourne Zoo 1.4.0
    Taronga Zoo 1.4.0
    Austrlia Zoo 0.3.0
    Perth 0.0.3 (i dont know teh sexes)
    WPZ 1.1.0
    Bullens Wild Animal world 0.2.0

Africans
    WPZ 1.3.0

that my attepmt

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

elephants in australia...

asian elephants
    melbourne zoo 1.1
    western plains zoo 1.1
    perth zoo 1.3
    australia zoo 0.3

taronga zoo own 1.4 and melbourne an additional 0.3 animals

african elephants
    western plains zoo 0.3

7. Zoo_Boy

pats got in in 1 good man your turn

8. patrick

where would you find a possum?

how many nations on earth would count possums amongst their native fauna? (excludes american opossums)

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  9. Zoo_Boy

1. australia
    2.a few south american nations ?
    3. new zealamd
    4.indonesia
    5.png

10. patrick

thats a good educated crack Zoo_Boy, but afraid your not correct. your on the right track but (hint) perhaps you should re-read the question a little more carefully...

just quickly - i think your quiz idea is working really well, but after this turn maybe we should come up with some clear rules to make it run smoother. we could ask sim to start the thread again with the rules posted at the beginning. i would suggest...

just one attempt per person (maybe per day- you could have another crack after that)

only title the post with the question so that others can quickly scroll up and locate the current one..

title the question posted with its topic only eg; Gorillas or alternatively we could title each question with a number eg; Question 14, then ask the question within the text box. and maybe make the question written in italics or bold italics. again, this would just make the current question quick to locate and more fun for anyone who wants to read back over the thread.

we could play around with adding a red thumbs up or a yellow thumbs down (for correct or incorrect) when the quiz master is responding to attempted answer

revealing the answers are at the quizmasters discretion, but maybe its a good idea to say they must reveal with in couple of days or after two or more have attempted the question.

then, as we have been playing so far - they have control of the next question.

the questions can be a little tricky - but try to make them something you could expect someone to at least make an educated guess apon. that way its more likely encourage a guess (and not look up the answer). so far we have been doing well at this though...

what do you think?

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  11. Zoo_Boy

pat thts great, o tough qns about the ossums

we shall make a list of rules after this qn to submit, then restart this thread

so who ever wins, starts there next qn once we have new thread running

12. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

my guess

Australia , Papua New Guinea , and Indonesia ?

Zuki pah is correct about the possums in NZ , and if you are not referring to American possums , that would assume to include SOUTH America countries.

13. patrick

you guys are close - but i'll give you another hint...

i said native fauna so you can exclude introduced populations such as new zealand and i said to also exclude american opossums (which are actually of no close relation to possums) so countries from the americas are out...

possums can be found natuarlly in four nations.

14. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

2nd guess

I am not sure if I am allowed a second guess , but as I havent bothered with the previous questions , I will venture .......

Australia , PNG , East Timor , Indonesia ?

15. patrick

nigel, nigel, you have won the quiz.

however you actually, in calling east timor - have make a fool of me! though i knew cuscus are found there, i forgot all about timor when i said four nations as a hint in the last post...

there are actually five (not four) nations with indigenous populations of possums...

1) australia

2) papua new guinea

3) indonesia (west from sulawesi to the moluccas)

4) east timor

5) solomon islands

fortunately nobody guessed even four correct until now so my error has not effected the outcome of the quiz....

your turn..

16. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Zoo quiz -- rules ?

Before I ask a question , perhaps we could look at establishing groundrules or clarifying them , if you think it is neccessarry ?
    I know that some questions asked will not be able to be answered from people outside Australia , hence I havent bothered with trying to answer most of them until recently .
    But at the same time , most of the forum are from Aust. so I do not wish to limit the quizz idea in any way just to accomodate foreign members like myself ......

Feel free to put in whatever groundrules you think you need , but I am generally happy with how things are at the moment .....

17. patrick

rules for quiz.

nigel i posted these rules just slightly earlier in the thread, they are simply my suggestion to make it run smoother and were open for suggestion, but Zoo_Boy seemed happy with the idea so i guess we ca just follow this...

just one attempt per person per day- you could have another crack after that.

Do not title posts that are attempts at answers - only the question should be titled.

title the question posted with the word Question, attach a question mark icon, then ask the question within the text box. make the question written in italics.

quizmasters please attach a red thumbs down when responding to an incorrect attempted answer.

revealing the answers are at the quizmasters discretion, but maybe its a good idea to say they must reveal with in couple of days or at least after two or more have attempted the question.

when revealing the answers please add the yellow thumbs up and title the post Answer and agin use italics when writing the answers.

then, as we have been playing so far the person who answered correctly is then the new quizmaster and gains control of the next question...

the questions can be a little tricky - but try to make them something you could expect someone to at least make an educated guess apon. that way its more likely encourage a guess (and not google search for the answer!). though the question is entirely up to the person in control of the quiz, asking general animal rather than non-zoo based questions is more inclusive of non-australians.

the rules regarding layout and fonts of the text are just ideas i came up with that would make the quiz a little more fun and easier to read if you read back thoughout the thread. the italics and titles on Q and A boxes only would instantly distinguish them from all the other posts.

below are an examples...

goodluck nigel..

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  18. patrick

Question

This is an example question with everything written in italics, title reading "Question" and a blue ? icon attached.

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  19. patrick

this is an example attempt at answer with everything written without a title or italics..

20. patrick

Answer

this is an example answer. with a yellow "thumbs up" icon representing someone guessed correctly (a red thumbs down would indicate they where incorrect), and a title reading "Answers".