Join our zoo community

Animals extinct in the wild

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Surroundx, 7 Dec 2010.

1. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

Hi everybody, I'm currently building a database of all "missing", recently extinct and extinct in the wild species. I would also like to add pictures to go with the text so that people can actually see the species that we have lost. For extinct species, I can only upload pictures for which the copyright has run out. But because species which are extinct in the wild are still alive, I can get new photos of those few species. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near where any EW species. So I was quietly hoping that some ZooChat members may be willing to let me use some of the photos that they have taken of EW species in their local zoos (with full acknowledgement of the source, of course, and a link to your own website if you have one)?

I have only roughly completed 3 databases so far (Reptiles, Fish and arthropods), but here is the address if anybody is interested: The Extinct Plants and Animals Online Database cubit: homepage

2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

3. Surroundx

Surroundx Well-Known Member

I certainly have Sun. But mine will cover all species within the last 100,000 years, whereas his only covers the Holocene. Secondly, his doesn't have enough information on most of the species that it covers. And thirdly, even amongst the Holocene period there are many species which it does not cover.

Branden.

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Respice post te, hominem te esse memento...

Good luck and stamina; you'll need both of them.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010