Join our zoo community

Animals No Longer At Your Zoo You'd Like To See There Again

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Blackduiker, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thlyo was correct; Philadelphia is the only AZA facility that still houses N. d. mhorr. St. Louis houses N. d. ruficollis, (the addra gazelle), which is the subspecies being focused on by the Antelope and Giraffe TAG of the AZA. There are some potential hybrids and animals of uncertain origins knocking about though, but these animals have been identified and are excluded from the SSP.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to @Kudu21's response, unfortunately Philly is down to one female mhorr. One that I've never managed to see actually.

I believe there are some kept in Hawaii but that's it.

~Thylo

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A shame about both of those things. I'm surprised the AZA has no plans to phase-in any Hawaiian Honeycreepers. Many of those species should really have captive populations imo.

4. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We still have Geoffroy's Marmosets. We sent the Guinea Baboons away because someone told me they were mean and crazy. The secretary bird we had was the oldest in America and passed away.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Well, my home zoo is Warsaw so I would love see again red-fronted gazelles!
    And definitely leopards. And african wild dogs.
    In the past, it was said that leopards would occurred again but now there are no plans for that...

6. PocketCookie

PocketCookie Member

For Milwaukee I'd love to see Capybaras and Giant Anteaters again in the South America yard.

JVM and birdsandbats like this.
  7. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Brookfield, I'd love to see the Aardvark, Warthog, Waterbuck, and of course the Elephants

Jacob F and JVM like this.
  8. Zoo Visitor

Zoo Visitor Well-Known Member

I moved to Philadelphia in 1969 because I was so impressed with the Philadelphia Zoo. At that time it had 2500 animals representing more than 800 species.

One of the things I loved most was that it exhibited sub-species in close proximity or even together as with the Asian and African elephants (two of each.)

The reduction in animals began between 1995 and 1999. It proceeded slowly at first, staying at 1800 for several years, then dropping to 1300. Then, during the past decade, the number has dropped drastically. The Zoo still advertises that it is home to more than 1300 animals, but no where near that number is visible to visitors on a daily basis. Many animals are rotated, many are kept permanently behind the scenes, and many are actually located in other zoos or animal facilities.

I miss the way the Zoo was at the time I chose to move to Philadelphia. The entire zoo was filled with animals - no wasted space used for carousels, swan boats, movie screens, refreshment and dining areas (one would be enough for me), etc. It was all about showing the fascinating variety of animals on earth, and that was what I loved.

JVM, StoppableSan and Brum like this.
  9. Zoo Visitor

Zoo Visitor Well-Known Member

Yes, it is America's First Zoo. But preserving its historical significance does not seem to be a priority for the Zoo, the City of Philadelphia, or the state of Pennsylvania!

I agree with all you said about the species no longer in the Small Mammal House. You have reminded me of several species I forgot to list on my post above. The striped possums and the striped weasel were among my favorites in the Nocturnal Room. Also the echidnas ... others will no doubt pop into my head. The vampire bats are fascinating and are easier to observe in the new nocturnal room exhibit. But their exhibit only uses about half of the former Nocturnal Room space. Again - too much space is wasted in America's First Zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I mean, it's the first zoo depending on one's interpretation of the whole Philadelphia & Central Park Zoo thing. Personally I think of CPZ as the first zoo, even though Philly was planned first.

The striped weasel died long before the nocturnal wing closed I think. It was sad to see how they're emptying out the Small Mammal House and how so many old enclosures are now covered over.

I agree a lot of space is wasted, but at the same time they don't have too much space to work with, hence why many species rotate. It's a common problem with major city-locked zoos, and generally comes down to a matter of quality vs quantity. I never saw the old elephant enclosure, but from what I've heard I'm glad they're gone (although they could have found a better replacement than a petting zoo..). The old part of the African exhibit is what I imagine most of the zoo used to be like, and tbh I'm happy to see it go. Their trail systems are really revolutionary and exactly where small to mid-sized city zoos need to head towards. All that said, it'd be nice if they worked on some new better houses and started stocking spaces like the old kangaroo enclosure which are perfectly suitable.

~Thylo

Echobeast likes this.
  11. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Toledo Zoo and Aquarium

African painted dog (left 2015)
    Sloth bear (left 2018)
    White African lion (died 2015)
    Chimpanzee (died 2011)
    White rhinoceros (died 2017)
    Slender-snouted crocodile (died/left?? 2010-2012??)
    Cuban crocodile (died/left?? 2011-2013??)

12. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At the Capron park zoo I miss southern screamer, Japanese macaque, ocelot, binturong, snow leopard, Reeves muntjac and purple swamp hen. They all died so really its understandable they are no longer there but they were all cool additions to the zoo.

13. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Ok, so I was able to get information regarding their Orangutan (Pongo sp.) and River hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius). The former was somwhere about the zoo's early history and the latter was from www.VertNet.org where I typed Santa Barbara Zoo into their search engine and I found that the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History has a skull of a River hippopotamus off-exhibit in their Mammalogy Collections from an animal that lived at the Santa Barbara Zoo. Other mammal species not mentioned above formerly kept at the Santa Barbara Zoo that I am finding records of in this database include Harbor seal, North American porcupine, Tammar wallaby, Black-crested gibbon, Central American squirrel monkey, Common squirrel monkey, Three-striped night monkey, African clawless otter, South American coatimundi, White-nosed coatimundi, Brown wooly monkey, Bennett's tree kangaroo, Mule deer, Black-mantled tamarin, Sunda slow loris, Nine-banded armadillo, Red-rumped agouti, Linne's two-toed sloth, Common marmoset, California ground squirrel, Rufous rat kangaroo, Grizzled tree kangaroo, and Parma wallaby. If anyone is interested in bird, reptile, and amphibian lists for taxa formerly held at Santa Barbara Zoo, I would be happy to provide that as well.

14. Jacob F

Jacob F Well-Known Member

I would love to see tigers at the Birmingham Zoo again since they're my favorite big cat. I was devastated when their male, Kumar, passed away in 2018. I would also love to see macaws again since they're my favorite bird. The Birmingham Zoo used to have three green-winged macaws, but they passed.

savetherhino likes this.
  15. Jacob F

Also, I would love to see kangaroos at the Birmingham Zoo again. They just came and went.

16. OkapiFan

OkapiFan Well-Known Member

All of the animals that the Greensboro Science Center and North Carolina Zoo have lost while I've been around.

GSC:
    Blacktip Reef Shark
    Southern Tamandua
    White-nosed Coati
    Two-toed Sloth
    Nine-banded Armadillo
    Mongoose Lemur
    Red Rumped Agouti
    Wallaby

NC Zoo:
    Lechwe
    Peregrine Falcon
    Ringtail
    Kangaroo Rat
    All of the aviary birds that got transferred when the aviary closed.

Jacob F and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

Hmm. I have three home-ish zoos. I guess I can go through them.

Indianapolis Zoo

Indianapolis hasn’t outright lost many species, but there are a few. The entry to the waters building used to have chambered nautilus and giant pacific octopus where the whale shark projection is now. I would be thrilled if they made a return, either in their old place or where the small reef / seahorses currently are. Really doubt they could get polar bears or false killer whales without luck and clearing a lot of land, and I don’t like either enough to make it worth what they’d have to get rid of to make space.

There used to be snow leopards, ravens, and Asian Small-Clawed Otters in the forest. I kind of hope they eventually replace the tigers or bears with snow leopards since I like them more. Tbh the otters would be a better use of the gibbon exhibit than the actual gibbons. Ravens depends on what fish and wildlife sends their way, but they were fun when they were in the North American birds aviary.

At one point or another the zoo had giant tortoises and Komodo dragons. I would be happy if either returned anywhere in the zoo. Maybe near the exit of the desert area where the tortoises once were. I know at one point the zoo was considering an Islands area where flights of fancy is now. I think that could be really cool with the lories, Arctic foxes (Greenland), giant tortoises, lemurs, and Komodo dragons. Would probably have to reopen or partially demolish the encounters building back to fit it all. Would mesh rather well with the orang center next door. Maybe the flamingoes could move to the current lemur habitat? Idk. Just thought that idea was cooler than what we got, even as a huge bird fan.

Nothing lost from plains really demands to be brought back. No space for wild dogs. Marabou would be cool but not revolutionary or anything. Kangaroo crossing isn’t really big enough for emus.

Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo

Bring back honey badgers or we riot.

More seriously, I do hope they get devils back someday. Right now it sounds like more of a logistical problem than anything since they still have the Devil exhibit untouched. It would be great if they could bring echidnas back, but I understand that they were never the most popular while they were there.

I have no idea what’s going on with their Komodo exhibits after red panda ridge and the new Indonesia entry. They might be gone at this point and they’re already missed.

EDIT: Forgot Fossa and binturong. Miss both, even if the Fossa weren’t there long.

Riverbanks Zoo

Ah, Riverbanks. I have the shortest history here so can’t say that much. False Gharial and Malayan Tapir are the only major losses in the last few years (aside from the elephants that their exhibit couldn’t really adequate for). Would be cool if they came back in the new Bridge to the Wild area with siamangs and orangs but I’m not holding my breath.

I know they used to have hippos. Maybe that would a better use of the old elephant exhibit if they were ever willing to put up the cash to convert it. Rhinos are the cheaper way to go and with a lot of other projects on the horizon I doubt that would get done for another two decades even if they wanted to do it.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2022
    evilmonkey239 and Jacob F like this.
  18. Jacob F

Wow! The Birmingham Zoo also used to have a hippo named Tadpole. He passed away in 2020.

19. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Ok, for the bird list. Taxa formerly kept at Santa Barbara Zoo according to www.VertNet.org were Ancient murrelet, Barn owl, American kestrel, Brant, Wood duck, Least tern, Brandt's cormorant, Western gull, Heerman's gull, Common gull, Bonaparte's gull, Cattle egret, Chukar partridge, Ruby crowned kinglet, Cocnut lorikeet, Ashy storm petrel, Yellow-headed amazon, Keel-billed toucan, Great blue heron, Common loon, Ruddy duck, White-tailed kite, American flamingo, Red-crested cardinal, Black-necked grebe, Belted kingfisher, Mikado pheasant, Marbled godwit, Acorn woodpecker, Surf scoter, Marabou stork, Snowy egret, Whimbrel, Greater rhea, Pelagic cormorant, Common murre, White-crested laughingthrush, Crested guineafowl, American cliff swallow, Burrowing owl, Yellow-billed magpie, Common hill mynah, Chestnut mandibled toucan, Andean condor, Black-crowned night heron, Hyacinth macaw, and Striated heron.

and now for Reptiles and Amphibians formerly kept at Santa Barbara Zoo. Bengal monitor, American alligator, Jackson's chameleon, Pond slider, Common snapping turtle, Cuban rock iguana, Green iguana, Knight anole, and American bullfrog.

20. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

I’d love for Phoenix to have Meerkats and Spotted Hyenas again. Oh wait…
    On a more serious note, I think they can easily fit Ocelots into their new Big Cats of Arizona exhibit.
    And while their time at the zoo was short, I’d like for Phoenix to display Koalas again, even if it’s temporary like the last time.

Jacob F and StoppableSan like this.