Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Another Taronga update 2010

Discussion in 'Australia' started by torie, 10 May 2010.

1. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

This information is sourced within the zoo

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

As a member with only 60 odd posts your gonna have to do better than that!

3. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

The odd post doesnt mean the facts are any less than yours... Guess you will just have to wait and see

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know anything of the situation but....if the cubs are from over-represented parents or are otherwise surplus to the programme's requirements then they could be considered to no longer be part of that programme. And if that is the case then there shouldn't be anything stopping them going to a non-ZAA zoo because they are outside the programme. Just my thoughts.

5. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Anyone know where the scimitar horned oryx and dromedary camel went that used to be mixed together where the current ostriches are?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see with some trepidation this happening in quite a few zoos. 1) What is surplus to one region may not be in another ...! 2) If the receiving zoo is not part of a recognised zoo association ... goodness if the animals where required again within the programme (no jurisdiction anymore) 3) Surplus means THE challenge to allow for animals going back to the wild ... too.

So, much for meta population management, ay ... :(

7. torie

torie Well-Known Member

in this case there is aboslutly no way that these two cats could be used in the breeding program in the future, hence why they can go to a non program zoo with very few issues.
    But I do undestand that your post was more of a general statement.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Indeed, torie it is ....! It is a criticism we can level at almost all conservation breeding programmes when they become successful. It is one area in which conservation breeding zoos of the realm do mostly - alas - excel.

We - zoos - do not look at the other options available nor at the bigger picture nor at true meta population management for a species. In this particular case: snow leopards continue to become rarer and rarer in the wild (and for all its worth those genes of over-represented lines are more than wellcome in very fragmented populations).

9. Jabiru96

Why cant they send the cubs overseas or somewhere that really does need them to breed rather than not making them breeding animals or is this not possible?

10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kifaru, is there actually an established program for releasing snow leopards into a safe habitat in any of the range countries?

Taronga can't be expected to do all that groundwork themselves on behalf of two cats. If there's nowhere to release them, the point is surely moot.

11. Kifaru Bwana

The issue has been discussed elsewhere in the ARAZPA forums.
    My comments are more generalised in nature and DO include most - if not all - zoo association regions with conservation breeding programmes.

We might open a general thread for this discussion.
    (I do not wish to take it any further here).

Back on topic: what is next up at Taronga? :)

12. Jabiru96

BTW, current off-display animals are (according to their website):

Orangutan (obviously)
    Blue & Gold Macaw
    Pheasant Concal? Pheasant Coucal I believe
    Long-Beaked Echidna
    Eastern Barred Bandicoot
    Yellow-Footed Rock Wallaby
    Dingo

And birds not in the bird show (once again, according to their website):
    White-Bellied Sea Eagle
    Ecelectus Parrot
    Peregrine Falcon (only in good weather is displayed)

13. Jabiru96

Chimp exhibit renovations and front entrance renovations

After that, who knows. Possibly extension of Wild Asia if possible (maybe they have to wait until old Bethyl dies?)

14. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Torie do the two cubs have some sort of genetic problem and if so is it wise to breed from the parents again? As I understand it, the father of these two is also the father of the cubs born at Melbourne last year?

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, I just member something about what I said was stated on the forum during the last ZAA conference.

MRJ? any ideas?

16. Jabiru96

Info

I emailed Taronga some questions and got good responses. Here is what I found out:

-At present time they will not be adding anything to Wild Asia

-There are no pregnant animals apart from Pak Boon (Asian Elephant)

-Lions are called: Bruiser(m), Johari(m), Asali(f), Kuchani(f)

-Tigers are called: Satu(m), Jumilah(f)

17. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is anyone else a member of zoo friends? What do you think of the new magazine? I have been getting the magazine since 1989 and in my opinion the new one is not as good. There has only been two additions of the new magazine so it can only get better. Just one thing I did notice, including the front and back covers it is 24 pages. Of these pages 2 are full page ads, 3 pages are the kids section, 6 are full page photos, 2 pages are the calendar, 1 is the contents page and only 10 pages are text related to articles of which one is a short meet a keeper type article.

The March 2010 edition of Zoonooz, the final of the old magazine, had 0 full page ads, 2 pages of kids sections, only 3 pages of full page photos(the front and back pages plus one in the magazine), 1 contents page, 0 pages for a calendar and 18 pages of articles.

18. Jabiru96

boof, what does it say in this edition of the Zoo Friends? Any interesting news worth pointing out or not really?

19. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I joined Melbourne and tarongas zoo news to obtain details of births, deathas and holdings of the animals. Melbournes stopped tht info and seemed mainly to contain the same sort of article each time. (Going to Werribee is like a safari in africa, as you enter there is....)
    Tarongas new mag isn't as good I also feel but as the last couople have contained stories that were heavily covered in the press, ie the birth of Mr Shuffles, the king cheetahs etc I didn't get anything much out of it. I've had to cancel my membership as it is becoming too expensive.

20. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

not really. there's an article about how they train the seals (to bite kids). Another on helping people overcome their snake and spider fears. ( pretty much a copy of an older article.) Not much else.

As jay pointed out it no longer goes into much detail about the comings and goings of the animals. It does mention the snow leopards going to billabong wildlife park.

******JUST JOKING ABOUT THE KID BITING THING.