Join our zoo community

Another thread about a new zoo...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by nicholas, 28 Jul 2017.

1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very true. Having (visible) staff around to talk to visitors does make huge difference already, but with guided tours you can have an even greater influence on your visitors.

I'm pretty confident ring-tailed vontsira (and probably narrow-striped mongooses too) are not really suited for walk-through enclosures. And they can be almost impossible to source without paying a particular British chap a not-so-small fortune. ;)

2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

Why do you think that? I would hope both would be quite safe when doing tours, and at least wild vontsiras are sometimes quite curious of people, and certainly not not shy, so that's why I want to explore the possibility at least.

They're not a dime a dozen, but I've been offered both species in the past so I don't think it would be impossible to get them. I don't know how experienced you are in the zoo world, but most people would be surprised by how hard it is to find holders even for some very rare species.

SpinyLiving and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  3. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are very agile, very fast, not shy and extremely curious. In other words: keeping them inside a walk-through enclosure might be a problem. They might also try to find out what visitors taste like.

4. nicholas

Thanks Mr. Zootycoon, I appreciate the input.

The same could be said for squirrel monkeys though. With careful planning, and a backup plan, it might be worth a shot.

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For a species of lemur, may I recommend coquerel's sifaka? They are very charming and fun to interact with, and zoo nerds will enjoy a species of lemur that isn't ring-tailed or red ruffed. The only problem I could see is them being harder to source.

nicholas likes this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Especially impossible in Europe ;), even Crowned sifaka would be very hard to obtain ;)

Canihelpyou? and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have experience of Boky-Boky eating food intended for other animals and getting obese. Also, I would not trust any mongoose species not to try and eat a tortoise.
    However, Meller's Duck and Madagascar Teal go well with Lemurs.

nicholas likes this.
  8. nicholas

I don't think I stated that the zoo will be in Europe, so pachyderm pro is exused :). Sifakas are cool, but this plan for a zoo is something that's actually in the works, so dreaming about sifakas is not something I do now. If I had made this thread 15 years ago, then sifakas would deficiently have been on the list of species. Now, with age, I stick to rabbits.

Vision, Brum, savethelephant and 2 others like this.
  9. nicholas

The joy of engaging visitors in the wonders of nature, making them more passionate of animals. Having a on where to teach people about sustainable use or resources. The joy of giving people an experience that makes them happy, that they will tell their friends about. The joy of having enough visitors to make enough monkey to contribute to conservation projects.

Civets are fine, but they won't make people come to a zoo. I really don't care about about how rare an animal is captivity, nor do the people I hope to educate.

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread, and I very much hope that the zoo that you are describing, Nicholas, can indeed get off the ground.

I wanted to return to the idea of educating visitors through a guided tour, which, in my opinion, misunderstands the reason why people visit zoos in the first place. By definition, anyone on this site is genuinely interested in natural history, and, as such, will be receptive to learning about what they are seeing - even if, like many, they feel constrained by doing so in a group, or they may struggle with the "one size fits all" approach that such a tour would inevitably offer.

However, if I were to go to, say, an art museum, the thought of a tour would be a real deterrent. I don't want to be told stuff. I am very happy to remain largely ignorant. At risk of sounding like a real charlatan, I don't really want to learn a great deal. Instead, I want to potter round at my own pace, see some things, react to them in my own way, spend some time with my family or friends with the nice backdrop of some works of art, and that is it. I think most people have the same attitude towards zoos - that is, that they are for something different, something other than learning (in a straightforward way) about the animals on display.

I don't think this is a bad thing at all. In fact, I think it is good that, for every visitor, there is a different motivation. But I do think it means that, for a conventional-looking zoo, a tour-only approach is not desireable (I think that for a smaller, more niche establish, such as that being offered by @Batto, things are rather different.

Incidentally, this is also my objection to the Hannover approach to building a zoo. The design of Hannover seems to encourage one particular response, one particular narrative, for visitors, with the possibility that not everyone will want to see this in this way, to respond in that way, being ignored.

nicholas, CGSwans and Shorts like this.
  11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I understand your point, sooty. Nevertheless, an art museum also offers guided tours, just as zoos do. If a zoo can include both options (like most major zoos do), there's something there for everyone. Unlike an art gallery, however, (zoo) animals are living creatures. And the irresponsible and sometimes even lethal behaviour of quite a number of visitors makes me wonder whether guided tours are less stressful for all involved and from a ethical pov, a fairer deal for the animals than the screaming, obnoxious masses you encounter on busy zoo days. The visitors I've had so far also remarked that my tour taught them more (and in a more memorable way) than the zoos they've been to.

12. Batto

Another example of a private zoo founded by two friends of mine that actually moved from Belgium to Hungary to realize their concept:
    Repzootic
    Repzootic

13. nicholas

Thanks for those thoughts Sooty Mangabay. I can't say that I think you're wrong in any of your statements. The best thing would probably be to offer both tours and the ability to walk around at your own pace. Maybe I will do that, there is still time to change plans. Things evolve. I might see that just tours doesn't work.

There are how ever many reasons why I plan to start with just guided tours. Managebility being one, as this will be run on the side of my main income.

14. pachyderm pro

Actually that brings up an interesting question, where will the zoo be located?

15. pachyderm pro

Another question, do you have a name for the Park yet?

16. nicholas

I'd rather not say yet (for the totally unrealistic fear that someone will start something similar close to me before I have my place running.

It's in Europe, not UK or Germany.

17. Batto

About 900 km away from my current location, I assume? ;)

18. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

The collection you have planned is a great way to start a zoo (Don't know about how easy it is to get the more exotic species in Europe)

I noticed you haven't said anything about birds. Do you have any plans for that? I love seeing birds after watching large, bulky elephants and tall giraffes(Or in your case cute rabbits and playful monkeys). Something about birds make a zoo seem more...exotic. Thats just me though.

19. nicholas

I'm a bird nerd, but birds are high maintenance and usually score low on the visitor experience chart. I won't have a lot of birds in the opening stages at least. There are ways to make birds interesting to the public, but there are no short cuts. Exhibiting birds in a successful way is expensive and labour intense.

20. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

It is normal for zoo gardens to have domestics when they open: and honestly I can't see why not. Sometimes people think a public zoo is a private fanciers collection, but on crack. People come for the aaw factor, to laugh at monkeys or parrots, to be enthralled by danger at a safe distance. Or to interact hands on with the animals. Domestics supply the latter and the saw factor. Shed city grade animals like squirrel monkeys and short clawed otters add the fun aspect and a degree of exoticism. And the income they draw in then supports anything more hardcore or offbeat.

That said zoos trafitionally use duck ponds and small passerine aviaries as space fillers?