Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Antwerp zoo

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Writhedhornbill, 19 May 2008.

1. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

The Nocturama is closing since the entire station-side of the zoo is getting renovated, and many more animals on that side of the zoo will (temporarily) move out.
    There's rumours that an indoor playground will be built at the location of the Nocturama, but nothing has been confirmed by the zoo.

Vision likes this.
  2. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good question... The complex it is in will also update very shortly, with the removal of the roof above the sea lions and the addition of Siberian tigers (replacing the old tiger exhibit + leopard/jaguar cages + old lion exhibit) and Snow leopards (replacing the larger bird of prey aviaries). Neither of those additions should have much of an impact on the nocturnal house though. I only know this info from a post on another forum, but I will hopefully visit this weekend to see the plans for myself so I can give a more detailed explanation. As @Penshet mentions above there have been rumours of an indoor playground replacing the nocturnal house, but I haven't seen anything official about that.

Indeed! The date was also not from an official social media account or anything, but just something picked up on another forum, so it seems like the zoo isn't making a public statement about the closure at all! A very disappointing way for a building of its relevance and importance to end...

Last edited: 3 Oct 2019
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All that I have seen officially confirmed in the form of an article in the Gazet van Antwerpen newspaper is that the sea lions will be getting a renovated outdoor theater/exhibit, perhaps with some expansion in the section that is now behind the scenes. That article also said that the Nocturama in its current form would disappear in the Jubilee Complex renovation. Everything else is unofficial information, mostly from the Laafse Kikkers Belgian/Dutch zoo fan forum, and I don't know where this information comes from and how correct it might be.

I visited Antwerp on September 21st and at the time quite of the few animals that now seem to have left where still present, so things seem to be moving quickly now. At that time the harbor seals had already moved to the slightly modified (new filter and sandy beach) former pelican pool (pelicans went to Planckendael or elsewhere) and the harbor seal pool was in the later stages of being temporarily modified to house the California sea lions. One jaguar and one amur leopard (both pretty old, I believe) and some birds (raptors, owls and keas) were also still present. Presumably those will also be moving fairly soon.

I noticed on September 21st that in some places you can see the Jubilee Complex is definitely in need of renovations - and some of the animal housing also needs major updates. So in that respect I welcome the changes and renovations. The loss of the Nocturama, which I have only recently come to truly fully appreciate, is painful, especially given the talk about an indoor playground. I really hope that does not come to fruition, especially with regards to the cats that will be housed there again in the future. I also find it sad that while the management claims to be paying as much attention to the history of the zoo as possible, that they are giving up on an animal house with quite some history and relevance. But perhaps there are some things we are not aware of that unfortunately make this choice necessary.

My only hope with regards to the nocturnal animals is that a few species will at least still be kept in the small monkey house or perhaps elsewhere in the zoo. Also, by 2029 the zoo is required by updated zoo regulations to provide outdoor access for all larger primates, so the current anachronistic and substandard small monkey house will have to be changed. One can only hope that they will have the guts and reason to give up on keeping monkeys, except maybe one or two species, and to redevelop that house into a new nocturnal animal house. I don't see how they could redevelop the small monkey house into future-ready monkey housing, so preferably they would use the space to bring back their historical nocturnal house.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

Went to antwerp zoo 2 times this weekend.

1.1 Von der deckens hornbills moved to the buffalo aviary (Leaving 1 behind at the bird house)
    Night monkey is visible at the enclosure to the right of the colobus monkeys ( I saw him at the top right, had to lean over the fence in order to see him, he is not signed but the enclosure is signed as golden headed lion tamarin)

Did 4 passages at the nocturnal house, did not see any armadillos in those 4 times (Each time I went looking I waited around 15 minutes in front of the enclosure), so these are maybe gone aswell already?

5. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

Ming Jung, Antwerps oldest elephant bull, will be moving to ZSL Whipsnade at the end of October.

Security Check Required

6. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Great news! I hope Donna in Whipsnade gets pregnant with him soon.

7. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad to read about the closure of the nocturnal house. Next to my interest in nocturnal houses and its species, the one in Antwerpen was a very good example how to convert a 1960's version with multiple small enclosures into a 21st century version, just like Berlin en London.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member