Join our zoo community

ABQ BioPark Zoo Any fans of ABQ Biopark Zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Scotter, 10 Aug 2020.

1. Scotter

Scotter New Member

I am hoping to visit the Albuquerque Zoo later this month, after they open back up. Only the outdoor exhibits will be open so I have a question about the four animals I really want to see and where they are located. Are these animals in outdoor exhibits?

Wombat
    Tasmanian Devil
    Binturong
    Siamang

No sense in going if they won't be available for viewing.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wombat is outdoors and I am virtually certain Tasmanian devil as well (they received them after my last visit, but based on photos I believe outdoors). Siamang is outdoors as well. I don't recall binturong, so I am not sure. If it is indoors it would be in the nocturnal exhibit I would imagine (since the only other place, the tropical house, was demolished for the new penguin exhibit). So I would say 50/50 chance on binturong but a virtual certainty for the others.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Scotter

Scotter New Member

Thanks for the response.

I took a chance and went last weekend without knowing much. Turns out that they are all outside but two of them are in the Australia exhibit, which they excluded from the one-way path experience they implemented in response to COVID.

The Binturong was in the carnivores section and slept in a box the whole time. The Siamang was in the ape walk section and I happened to show up there as they were getting some enrichment. So I went 1-for-4 on the ones I really wanted to see. Better than 0-for-4, I guess.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Too bad. It is a shame they are closing the Australia section, as that is the gem of the collection in terms of zoo rarities.