Join our zoo community

Any UK Zoochatters know Jeremy Corbyn's stance on zoos?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pacu, 12 Sep 2015.

1. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Finally a bit of a shake up in UK politics but some of the far left are anti animal captivity, aquarium trade etc. Does anyone know Corbyn's stance on zoos?

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

From the "Network for Animals" website:

“Alongside our shared commitments to human rights and environmental justice, our party has a strong commitment to animal welfare. As a vegetarian all my adult life, I have used my position in parliament to advocate for greater animal welfare protection.

The last Labour government achieved much to reduce animal suffering: banning hunting with dogs, securing an end to cosmetic testing, banning fur farming, and introducing the Animal Welfare Act. I supported all these measures.

One of the first set of questions I tabled after I was elected to Parliament in 1983 was about the use of animals in tobacco research experiments. I also campaigned against the use of primates in research, and I negotiated tougher regulations with ministers on how they are imported for use in research, and as pets, under the Animal Welfare Act.

In this Parliament I will continue my lifelong opposition to hunting with dogs. I have also voted, spoken and campaigned for a ban on wild animals in circuses and I opposed the badger cull in the last Parliament.

I was a childhood opponent of fox hunting growing up in Shropshire. Back then we had otter hunting, badger baiting and hare coursing. Gradually we got legislation to end all these awful practices. It was my old friend Tony Banks who finally got the badger as a protected species – I was quoted in the press calling it ‘A Good Day for Brock’ when it finally went through.

I have supported the campaign against the dog meat trade, as well as campaigning to ban imports of foie gras, following India’s welcome lead on this issue.

Our country and our party have much to be proud of on animal welfare, but we still have further to go to match the best practice around the world. This is another reason why we must resist the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), which would threaten the European and national legislative protections that we have campaigned together to achieve.

If elected leader, I pledge that a Labour government in 2020 will continue to advance our animal welfare protections so that they are the best in the world – and I hope that you will hold me to that pledge.”

All very worthy, but he doesn't come across as someone who would be sympathetic towards zoos

3. Pacu

Thanks for that. There is no mention of zoos, though, and I don't disagree with anything that is there, so I see that as positive. A reminder too, that parliament will protect a species and then support its destruction because of TB in domestic animals.

4. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is Corbyn far-left? In America, we have Bernie Sanders.

5. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

And neither does he come cross as someone who is anti zoo.

6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes, and he is allied to Ken Livingstone - famously pro-zoo. On the other hand, he was also close to the late Tony Banks, who was very much anti zoo.....

7. Pacu

I suspect he may have other things to keep him busy for now. We'll have to wait and see...

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The man is an ambitious politician: ergo he will not hesitate to change his position on any issue if he thinks he can gain an advantage by doing so.

Alan

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Whether or not you agree with his politics is one thing, but I think it is hard to find the evidence to support this statement. Corbin has consistently held the same far left positions throughout his life. His actions across his parliamentary career (constantly rebelling, never seeking or achieving front bench status) are not those of someone who values power over principle. I'm sure he is as surprised as everyone else that he won; I do not think he entered the race expecting or wanting to be Labour Leader at the end of it.

10. gentle lemur

Maybe not, but if he didn't want to be leader at the start, he certainly did at the end. I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply I gave earlier ;)

Alan

11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

For some reason that's really made me chuckle! Well done on a genuinely exquisite riposte! I think my general argument still stands though :)
    Back on thread I think it's unlikely that we will see zoos form a key part of the next labour manifesto! I've just done a quick google of the UK public's attitude to zoos and how this is changing and drew a blank. Does anyone know of any recent research or polling on this?

12. Johnny Morris.

You clearly know very little, if anything about Mr Corbyn.

13. Johnny Morris.

I wasn't surprised, I backed him at 100/1. People like me have been crying out for this mans kind of politics for decades.

14. gentle lemur

I know that he is a bit different from most other MPs. But I also know that no-one would seek to become an MP, remain in the House of Commons for many years or dream of becoming a party leader without a considerable ego, enormous ambition and colossal chutzpah. Mr C may show the symptoms of these afflictions in a rather different way to his rivals - but listen to any of his speeches or interviews and you will hear them clearly.
    But I agree with FG, most animal-related issues are likely to be low on his agenda. I hope he will berate the Tories on badger culling and fox hunting at least.

Alan

15. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does it matter? He will never be anything other than the leader of the opposition.

16. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, I expect you'll be crying out for a very very long time. :D

17. Johnny Morris.

We'll see.