Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

The title is self-explanatory: what zoos or aquariums do you plan on seeing next year or want to visit?

I myself desire to see pretty much every obscure zoo in Ontario pretty much no-one else on this site has visited. Among them are:
    • Reptilia (Vaughn and Whitby)
    • Turda Farms
    • Elmvale Jungle Zoo
    • Oshawa Zoo
    • Riverview Zoo
    • Indian River Reptile Zoo
    • Greenview Aviaries
    • Colasanti's
    • Killman Zoo
    • Brantford Twin Valley Zoo
    • Safari Niagara
    • Marineland
    • Bird Kingdom

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I probably will end at Boston, Texas the incoming year due to a chance of free traveling, so I will go to New England Aquarium (whale shark, yay!). I would prefair a lot to revisit Paris (revisit Jardin des Plantes, go to Vincennes and include the two major aquariums and Parc des Felins) or well visit Poland for first time, especially Wroclaw (before last red hartebeest dies). But probably I must wait another year for these.
    Any recommendation near Boston for zoos, natural history museums and botanical gardens? Any place that while small have some odd or rare species near here?

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As for new parks, my followers have requested several zoos for me to cover. The most mentioned are the Philadelphia Zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo, and the Bronx Zoo. I promised myself I would make my way to at least two of them. Since my only means of far transportation are limited to comfortable driving distance or family vacations, those are a bit of a stretch. However, I will be going to more aquariums (Ripley's in Tennessee, SEA LIFE in Michigan), I'll be returning to SeaWorld Orlando, and going to the Disney Animal Kingdom for very first time.
    Cincinnati, Columbus, the Wilds, Louisville, Cleveland, Akron, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Nashville, Knoxville, Brookfield, Lincoln Park, Newport Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium, Saint Louis, Toledo, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne, will always be part of my annual lineup.

TNT and Jambo like this.
  4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Austin, Texas? Or Boston, New England? And am I the only one getting a "Road Trip" vibe? :p

That'll be the Georgia Aquarium, in Atlanta?

CGSwans, TinoPup and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'm confusing terms? Sorry for the mess! I will go to Boston, assuming that is in Texas while it's in New England. But there is no whale sharks in New England Aquarium too? Some Google images suggested me that they have... Ops!

For zoos I see that there are Stone Zoo and Franklin Park Zoo, Are they worth the visit species-wise?

Jambo and Brum like this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Those pictures came from a website that had a 'vote for the best aquarium in the US' competition. For some reason pictures from Georgia were used to illustrate almost all of the aquariums...

Hammy and Kakapo like this.
  7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

KL bird park and Zoo Negara is my major trip next year.

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no Whale Sharks at the New England Aquarium. They're supposed to have a great collection, though, including a very large colony of Little Blue Penguins.

Stone and Franklin Park are both worth visiting and have some unique collections. For you perhaps their only new species may be Ruwenzori Rousette (Rousettus lanosus), Hartlaub's Duck, Hooded Crane, Black-Necked Crane, Siberian Crane, Whooping Crane, and Jamaican Iguana but their may be other surprises I'm not thinking of.

~Thylo

TinoPup and Kakapo like this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not entirely sure where I'll end up in 2019. I want to do more US zoo visiting for a little while as I've never been to a lot of the major collections here, but US zoos are significantly harder to travel between cheaply compared to Europe. I've considered another Europe jaunt, too, but I'll probably hold off for a while until I figure some things out. I also might do some more wildlife watching trips (likely within New England) as I need to improve my birding skills.

~Thylo

m30t, Brum, ZooBinh and 1 other person like this.
  10. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

I’m heading to San Diego the first week of February so that’s going to be fun.

Henry Doorly, Detroit, Louisville, Toledo, Memphis, The Wilds, Como Park, Minnesota, Atlanta, are all on my hopeful list and then possibly some zoos in the Rockies, the Appalachians or Florida.

Revisiting Columbus, Cincinnati, Fort Wayne, Potawatomi, Indianapolis, and possibly Brookfield and Lincoln Park.

Jambo, Moebelle and birdsandbats like this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the Twin Cities, you could fit in SEA LIFE Minnesota or Gabbert Raptor Center into the same day as Como Park.

12. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Am going to New York in April for 10 days to celebrate me being 40, and am planning on visiting all 4 zoos, the aquarium and Philadelphia Zoo.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have several plans, all dependent on getting a job (which I should get! ;)) this week. But plans I'm willing to share are I'm determined to get to Hamerton, not sure how yet, but I'm bloody well getting there! :p And secondly, my best friend got married in 2018 and is now stranded in a backwater country until he's granted citizenship so at some point in 2019 I will be flying out to see him, in Chicago, USA, unless he gets deported before then! ;)

14. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only solid plans for next year are Colchester Zoo (obviously, considering its closeness) and hopefully ZSL London where, idea permitting, I may be doing my MSc dissertation.

Anywhere else would probably be dependent on whether I pass my driving test this year.

15. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would like to make it to Walsrode again next year. Not sure how though.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  16. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

I’ll have to look at those. Thanks for the advice!

birdsandbats likes this.
  17. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Zoos I will definitely be revisiting: Hamerton, Twycross, Dudley, Chester, Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park, Bristol, Monkey World, Exmoor (already have an experience booked there for later in the year), Linton, Cotswold Wildlife Park, Crocodiles of the World, Paignton, Colchester.

Zoos I will probably be revisiting: Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Thrigby Hall, Shaldon

New places I hope to visit: Blackpool Zoo, one or two more of the smaller places around Suffolk / Norfolk.

And any others I can manage to fit in!

18. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aside from my visits to local zoos (Smithsonian National, the National Aquarium, Maryland Zoo, Philadelphia Zoo) I’m opening the year with a quick jaunt down through the Carolinas, and am hoping to at least get to Chicago this year. Other than that, I don’t have any major plans, but that could always change.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brevard zoo, Florida Aquarium, Nashville Zoo, Dallas Zoo, Fort Worth zoo and Dallas World aquarium are all possibilities at the moment for myself.

m30t likes this.
  20. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not quite sure where I’m going to end up next year, I traveled a lot this year (Chicago, New York, central US road trip, California to the end of last year) so I might have to stop travelling for a bit next year. I’d like to see Columbus at its peak in the summer and I’ve had my eye on Philadelphia for a while, but I expect this to be a quiet year Zoo-wise.