Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In 2020 I hope to visit any European zoo that has Walrus. I've never seen one, and it's about time.
    I've been to 51 zoos in 2018, which has been fun.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

The next 12 months will be quite busy for me with zoo visits and vacations with focus on wildlife observation...

In a few days I'll fly for about 2 weeks to Uganda - beside various game drives and boat tours we'll also do mountain gorilla tracking and two chimpanze tracking tours.

For end of 2020 there is a potential trip to South Africa planned - however nothing detailed out yet.

Regarding zoo visitis planned I've already booked my next trip to Pairi Daiza in April and plan to go there 2 more times next year with friends and family.

What is also already booked are a few days in France including visits to Zooparc de Beauval and Parc de Felins in May.

In September I'm planning to do a tour through Germany - visiting some of the zoos I've not seen for many years (Munich, Nurnberg, Hamburg), some zoos I've never seen so far (Hannover, Rostock) and to re-visit my zwo most favorite german zoos (Berlin Zoo and Tierpark)

Beside that I'm sure I will have also next year again the opportunity to visit the one or the other zoo closest to where I live (Heidelberg, Landau, Karlsruhe, Frankfurt, Opelzoo, Stuttgart)

3. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not any big plans due to uni. But I'm thinking of a long weekend at Newquay to visit the zoo and aquarium. I'm also applying for a summer position at Jersey Zoo so I'll visit that if I get it. Hamerton is also a possibility for September and maybe another zoo in the same trip. Bristol, Slimbridge, Wild place and Noah's ark are possible if I visit family in Bristol. So many plans, no money to back them up

4. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I know that feeling too well :D

5. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This year I tried to hit as many of the major Dutch collections, and succeeded to hit most of them, apart from GaiaZoo and Safaripark Beekse Bergen I say. So; next year I want to aim at the smaller collections in the country and try and sneak in some visits to zoos across the border. Thinking possibly in the ways of Zoo Antwerpen or one of the German zoos close to the border or within a acceptable train trip lenght.
    Saying that I do hope to do some form of trip through Germany. But this is all still being planned and nothing is set in stone.

The only zoos set in stone for 2020 for me are the two Berlins. As I asked to visit those zoos and do a city trip to Berlin for my 18th birthday this year.
    Aquazoo Dusseldorf could be a possible visit. As I will be heading to Dusseldorf for a day with school. However I don't know if I can squeeze in a visit in between whatever program they made for us :p

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  6. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have very rough ideas for a trip to Frankfurt. I'd like to throw in Wuppertal and revisit Cologne - I had to hurry a bit on my last visit. Maybe some medium sized or minor zoos as well - Opel-Zoo, Neuwied and so on.

A part of me really wants to skip the minor collections and reach for Nürnberg or Stuttgart or maybe even Munich. However, currently nothing is certain yet and it may not happen altogether.

7. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that next year I will make it to Amersfoort, Dierenrijk and Overloon. Additionally on my wishlist is a 2-day stint to Walsrode in early May, in June a trip to Wroclaw + Poznan and then in summer a trip to Leipzig and Czechia, with Nürnberg and Frankfurt on the return. I'll have to see what's possible money-wise.

8. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I am hoping to go to okinawa or some japanese aquarium, and maybe some european zoo.

9. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definite or Highly Likely
    • Sacramento Zoo (a lot)
    • Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (a lot)
    • Los Angeles Zoo (April)
    • Oakland Zoo (Spring or Summer)
    • Utah's Hogle Zoo (May)
    • Georgia Aquarium (July)
    • Sequoia Park Zoo (Fall or Winter; hoping to start volunteering here when I move off to college)
    Less Likely or Extremely Unlikely (but still possible)
    • Cincinnati Zoo (June)
    • Columbus Zoo (June)
    • Indianapolis Zoo (June)
    • Brookfeild Zoo (June)
    • Lincoln Park Zoo (June)
    • Shedd Aquarium (June)
    • Bronx Zoo (June)
    • Zoo Atlanta (July)
    • Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (July)

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He was 14. He had some heart issues, some liver issues, etc, but mentally he was completely gone from dementia. I've never had to plan out and say "this is going to be the day" before, so that was rough, but it was the right decision. I hired a photographer and we did a photoshoot the day before.

DSC_3791.jpg

Regarding your trip to San Diego, they only allow memberships for people in a few local zip codes. Outside of that, the minimum is $375 Curator's Club level membership.
    If you're a student, you can get 15% off the regular ticket prices.
    Regular tickets:
    Zoo and Safari - $58 each
    2-Day Pass - $92.80 Go once each to zoo and safari, or twice to one of those places. Saves you $23.50.
    3-for-1 Pass - $149. Gets you one visit each to zoo, safari, and seaworld. SeaWorld is regularly $93.50 ($20 cheaper if you buy online), so this would save you $60.50 if you were going to go there, as well. You can't go to one place twice with it.
    You might also want to consider a Go San Diego pass. 3 days is $207, 5 is $279. Those both come with one premium attraction (Seaworld or the $100 trolley tour that you can hop on and off of), plus the zoo, safari, whale watching tour, a whale and dolphin cruise, living coast discovery center, birch aquarium, legoland (which has an aquarium), the natural history museum, and a bunch of other non-animal places that your mom might like. Also keep in mind that the safari park is outside San Diego and 30-60 mins from the zoo, so Uber or whatever could be expensive.

For my 2020, I'm hoping to either do San Diego or that Ohio trip. I think I'm going to make the wolverine my goal animal to see.

11. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope your other dog gets better. It is sad seeing such a nice animal go, especially when you have a strong connection with it. It isn't the same, but there was a family of foxes in my backyard who visited frequently and with whom I often interacted. One day, the mother got run over and it was probably one of the saddest moments of my life :(

As for SDZ, I wasn't going to go to SeaWorld, and it seems really expensive, so I think we will get the 2 day pass :)
    Thanks for running through it.

Ebirah766 and Luke da Zoo nerd like this.
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That sounds really good, but you'd want to work out carefully what you were actually going to do to see whether it would be cheaper or more expensive than just paying for the attractions at the gate. I think the best thing with it is that you can visit the attractions as many times as you want (once per day) for as long as the pass is valid.

Gocity does a bunch of other cities as well, including New York. The New York one has 90 attractions included for free (!) BUT does not include the zoos apparently (!!).

TinoPup and amur leopard like this.
  13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed. Some of the cities are worth it, some really aren't, unless you want to do a few highly varied things. I'm a major planner so I usually try to work out if it'll be cost effective. The main problem for me with the San Diego one is I want to do 4 days, not 3 or 5 ;) Zoo, Safari, SeaWorld, and then a marine mammal cruise and an aquarium or something smaller. I think the San Diego pass is one of the better ones for the average person or family, there's a big variety and a lot of things that are fun but don't take the whole day.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  14. amur leopard

Change of plan yet again because I just realised that the flight really isn't worth it. We are now taking the Amtrak from San Francisco to Monterrey, then from Monterrey to San Luis Obispo where we are changing after having a quick peek at the elephant seals and then going from there to San Diego direct through LA, but not stopping. :)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had an incident with other visitors at Zoo Antwerpen yesterday and as a result I have had to put on indefinite hold or cancel all plans I had for 2020.

At this point it is highly likely I will never be visiting another zoo again for the rest of my life. I made a bad error that I should have been smart enough to avoid and I will be paying for it hard and painfully, and for a very long time.

16. amur leopard

I'm sorry to hear that.
    I hope you get to visit again as soon as possible. :)

17. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2020 is probably a non-zoo year for me. After visiting ~10 zoos in 2018 and 2019 each, I think I won't be able to visit any new zoo in 2020. I can't go to a trip because of the busy school life and I need to have a ton of extra lessons even in school holidays.

18. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Blimey Kevin.........what the hell is this? I hope you are OK?

19. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Already got quite a few things lined up for 2020:

Zurich in Jan - work trip but time for zoo
    Berlin in Feb - as above, should have time for both zoo and tierpark
    Getting married in March - no zoos - ;)
    Early April Zoonerd tip with @Shorts and @robmv to Walsrode, Hannover and Madgeburg
    Late April holiday to Slovenia - probably will get to Ljubljana zoo, and hopefully some wildlife spotting
    Possible trip to California in Nov - platypus beckons! Early days on this one.....

20. amur leopard

Mine fell through, but on the bright side, I am certainly going to the Big Cat sanctuary on the Thursday opening day on the 30th of July so that should be fun. Otherwise, Beauval, Paris zoo, Paris Menagerie, Thoiry, Doue, Cologne, Montpellier for the umpteenth time, Pafos (also for the umpteenth time), Sigean, Parc des Pyrenees (hopefully), Madrid Faunia, Madrid Zoo and Aquarium (both for the second time), a possible trip to Zurich and a very sketchy but possible trip combining Berlin zoo and Tierpark with Prague :)

Newzooboy likes this.