Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Anyone have old photos/postcards/maps of Flamingo Park/Land Zoo?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bubbles, 27 Sep 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

.. I'm in the middle of doing the history pages for each section of the Zoo and would love to have some copies of photos/postcards/maps either just to look at or/and for my website. I've managed to do a fair bit, but still missing a lot of vital info, so need the photos/postcards/maps for point of reference and to know where each animal was kept or moved to. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone of you reading this can help me.. :)

Just out of interest, has anyone else got a Zoo website or thinking of doing one of your local Zoo?

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have the 1976 map and the 1979 map if they are of use to you.

3. Bubbles

Oh thank you so much! I haven't seen those.. :cool:
    Will send you a PM..

4. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Flamingo Park Memorabilia

I have quite a few photographs and some postcards from the 1960s, and many more photographs from the 1970s plus a few postcards. I have other bits and pieces too, although sadly I do not know what happened to the 1960s guidebook I had that was a joint one for Flamingo Park and Cleethorpes. My favourite photograph from the 1960s is probably one of Gog and Magog the Southern Elephant Seals.

5. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only survivor I have from many visits in the 70's and 80's is a Park Guide (map), which has no date on it, but I think its 1988.

I can scan if its of any use.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you have any photos of the Flamingo Park Orangutans that you could post in our Gallery on here?

Particularly the Sumatran male 'Adam' which came from Belle Vue Manchester when they exchanged one of their two females for him.

7. Parrotsandrew

I don't I'm afraid - the exhibit did not lend itself to photography, although as far as I remember there was indoor viewing through glass. There was a strange corner visible through glass from outdoors and this held Raccoon Dogs for a while in the 1970s. I do have Keith Laidler's book "The Talking Ape" about the celebrated Cody. In 1984 "The Yorkshire Post" ran a series of articles critical of zoos in the county and the initial one was illustrated on the front page of the newspaper with a photograph of a male Orang-utan at Flamingo Land, said to be in solitary confinement. I have these articles in a scrapbook.

8. Bubbles

Andrew - Thank you for replying to my thread. :) Is there any way you could scan be any of the items you mention for me? I would love to see them as they sound really interesting.

btw.. this strange corner you mention that housed Racoon Dogs.. it wasn't the one I'm thinking of that housed the Lynx was it? That had the glass running down at a strange angle.

Nige - many thanks.. can you tell me what colour and what's on the front before you do?

Pertinax - The only photo I have of the Orangs, is one I've posted before.

9. NigeW

No problem Bubbles.

Its white, is A3 sized folded twice, and has

"More for your money £ at Flamingo Land zoo & funpark. The biggest value family day out in the world"

around the logo with cartoon chimp hanging off it, and 'Park Guide' on a red diagonal sash across all of that.

They are being a bit optimistic with the claim there don't you think :)

10. Parrotsandrew

Bubbles,

I'll attempt to learn how to scan as I'd love to share my photographs with anyone interested in the Flamingo Park days.

The corner I mean was in the bottom left of the Orang exhibit as you faced it when outdoors. The Lynx exhibit was the one against the wall to the left of this wasn't it? It used to hold primates (Cody was there at one time), but I think I've seen a Lynx there. I did not ever see one in the bit I mean, but there does not mean there never was one there of course.

11. Bubbles

Nige.. I've just had a look in my file and I've already have that one, but I'd like to thank you for taking the time and trying to help me. :)

12. Bubbles

Andrew... oh I'd LOVE to see them..scan away! :)

btw..regarding the corner in the bottom left of the Orang exhibit ..do you mean here

13. NigeW

Its a pleasure Bubbles. You could help me though, if you have this one on file.. could you confirm the date? is it '88?

:)

14. Bubbles

Hi Nige..unfortunately, there is no date on it at all..nothing that would give me a clue anyway. It's not '87 though, as I have that one and it's different.

15. Parrotsandrew

Bubbles - yes that's it, the window on the right. Happy days. Are those two of the hybrid Bear cubs? They look as I remember them after all these years i.e. brown with a whitish collar. I did like that display area. I do have a postcard of a Chimpanzees' tea party in that area. I am told the keeper on it still lives in Kirby Misperton.

16. Bubbles

I wonder which Keeper that is? The two longest serving ones from that time have sadly passed on. I don't remember the cubs, but I guess they must be the ones you remember.. :)

17. Parrotsandrew

The keeper I meant was the one on the Chimpanzees' Tea Party postcard - I didn't express myself very well in my reply - sorry. I do not know when the keeper in question left the zoo, it could have been 40+ years ago. It is only the last 14 years that I have known any of the keepers. I had a few years of not visiting as I was under the impression the place had gone down hill. I regret that very much now, but I can't turn the clock back (if I could I'd be there in 1968 again!!).

18. Jonesy85

Jonesy85 New Member

Hi if anyone has any old pic of the park can they pm me I would like to see them big fan of the park and like reading and looking at its history

19. Parrotsandrew

To add to my reply to your PM, have a look at Bubbles's new website too.