Join our zoo community

Apparently someone in the private sector is keeping Marine Iguanas

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by jusko88, 7 Nov 2013.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The Paradise Parrot is extinct. However, I've heard there are some aviculturalists hybridising Psephotus parrots to produce something similar looking to P.pulcherrimus, and calling them Paradise Parrots.

:p

Hix

2. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

I fear that, realistically, poaching of Galapagos specialities might be anticipated. The archipelago's human population has gone from under 3500 in 1972 to over 26,000 last year. Ecuador is a poor country and the same pressures that wildlife faces all over the developing world will only intensify.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As I understand it locals are very aware of the value and unique nature of the Galapagos Islands and most if not all Galapagians / Ecuadorians will participate in illegal poaching / capture / collection of rare Galapagos wildlife. It is as far as I am ware the reptile trade and indeed a criminal / nutcase element within the herptile keeping fraternity that is even prone to be / get involved in this despicable trade / illegal dealings.

For what it is worth: the last incident was a maverick Dutchman who illegally captured Galapagos land iguanas Conolophus spp. and stashed them into his luggage (and was thankfully apprehended before leaving the Galapagos islands).

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm affraid that as long as the price for such rare / special animals is so high and the punisment so low, the illigall trade can't be stopped ! :(

5. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On another thought, could this be in their native range? I know a few fishkeepers who catch fish from their local waters, and one very good octopus breeder who does the same.
    Not saying it would be legal, but it would be much more feasible.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nope, as far as I can remember it was US of A.