Join our zoo community

Applying for ARAZPA membership

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tetrapod, 3 Sep 2009.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can somebody explain what the new process is for collections entering ARAZPA? How has it been made easier?

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"......easier"??? LOL

It has been made harder - much harder!

3. tetrapod

Sorry must have misread the comment above.

I must admit to being a bit bemused by ARAZPA's policy to admitting new collections into the fold, certainly when compared to the UK's BIAZA. Having even been involved in a small way to allowing a new collection to join BIAZA, I found the process was relatively easy and just required the obvious checks to show the collection is following the regulations and the sign-off of two 'respected' members (of which I was one, at the time). Okay I make it sound a lot easier then it probably is, but there is certainly none of this nonsense of having to wait years for inspections. Is there some fundamental flaw in the membership process or are they just playing hardball? I appreciate that ARAZPA doesn't want to add roadside menageries to their books but struggling collections with good promise should be positively encouraged.

4. Steve Robinson

Your account of BIAZA entry mirrors the way that ARAZPA entry used to work.

Unfortunately for our zoo, that processed changed just as we applied to join. And it has kept changing! We initially applied to join ARAZPA several years ago and we are still no closer to having our application formally considered. During that period our application has had to be re-done three or four times. It is a mammoth application process and we are having to wait now until at least November before our latest effort will even be assessed to see if it will be formally considered. At the current rate of progress our accreditation inspection will be some years after that.

There is no indication that zoos endeavouring to achieve and maintain a high standard of operation are being encouraged to join.

While I have no problem with the Association linking entry with accreditation in an effort to secure a high standard of membership, I do think that they are under resourced to process applications in a timely manner.

Perhaps Zoopro can shed some light on the ever changing entry policy?

5. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I'll try.... As far as I know, ARAZPA's accreditation process has changed twice since it's inception, some two and a half years ago. Once when a formal accreditation committee was instated in an effort to assist the under-resourced office staff, and again last year, when a new form of membership (Probationary) was initiated to make it easy and faster for institutions to go through the initial accreditation phase, and then become involved in all regionally managed breeding programs, without waiting for the on-site inspection. To me, this would appear to be advantagous, rather than detrimental, to any institution wishing to join ARAZPA.

On-site inspections are carried out by trained and qualified accreditation officers, who operate as volunteers, outside of their normal work committments. Unfortunately, the association is not in a position to employ full-time accreditation officers to undertake site reviews. Coordinating paperwork, officer's schedules and availability, the requirements of the institutions being accredited and the approval process for 90+ institutions is a lengthy process, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I am aware of some institutions who have partially completed the required accreditation paperwork (which is thorough, and therefore, by necessity, lengthy), or who do not meet with the regionally-endorsed standards and guidelines for accreditation (http://www.arazpa.org.au/ArticleDocuments/34/ARAZPA General Standards .pdf.aspx) and in these cases, ARAZPA's accreditation staff work with the institutions to assist in the processes ahead of the site visit. As would be expected of any association that has some form of accreditation process in order to participate, you would expect (and hope) that all institutions that pass approval, or accreditation, meet the standards required by the association and its members. (I am not saying or in any way inferring that this is the case with the comments Steve has made, by the way).

The association has been under-resourced for some time, and efforts are underway to try to resolve this. Additional information about the accreditation process is available on the association's web site: Accreditation Overview

6. Steve Robinson

Thanks ZooPro.

That sums up the accreditation history. The accreditation committee was certainly the way to go but the probationary membership appears to not be widely understood as there is no formal application process to become a probationary member and this status is awarded only at the discretion of the Board.

However, my comments were about the application process and that has certainly become more difficult in recent years - not, as tetrapod commented, easier.

Our initial application was along the BIAZA lines, with 2 referees from among the membership required as well as a questionnaire about your institution.

This then became a lot tougher with a very comprehensive application form to be completed - although the need for referees was scrapped.

Then application was linked to accreditation - new forms and a lot more detail required.

We have jumped through the hoops as required - three different applications so far!

We recently sent away our latest application with a huge sigh of relief in the belief that we had finally achieved all that was required from us and we could look forward to some progress.

Imagine our reaction on being informed that "...... the whole Accreditation Program is going through a review to determine the intent and relevance of the current Accreditation Program in relation to changes in Standards and government regulations". These changes are largely still in draft form so heaven only knows how long this will take. In any event we have been told not to expect any consideration of our application until at least November.

We firmly believe that any organisation is only as strong as it's weakest member so we have no argument with your assertion that all member institutions must meet the standards required by the Association and it's members.

I must also say the ARAZPA staff have been unfailingly courteous and patient in their efforts to ease our way through the application process[es]. Their work load is truly immense but their sense of humour has yet to desert them.

However, I stand by my response to tetrapod that membership of ARAZPA is much harder to achieve than it was some years back and that new institutions are not being encouraged to join.

7. tetrapod

Thanks Steve and ZooPro for filling us in. I do find your last comment Steve a bit disappointing about the lack of encouragement to join. There has been a history of poorly run parks with low standards that are not linked to any professional association. Australasia is by no means the worst offender with this problem. I hope the application situation improves with time.