Join our zoo community

Mořský svět Aquarium Morský svet

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Kakapo, 29 Oct 2013.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I was uploading photos into the gallery when I saw that the aquarium Morský svet, in Holesovice, Praga, has not a section in the gallery. Please admins, could you create a folder for this interesting small aquarium?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Zooboy28!

4. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had the pleasure of visiting this unusual aquarium today, managed to squeeze in an hour before it closed. I was a little worried about turning up at 1650 because Trip Advisor reviews had mentioned that people were turned away at 1700, despite it costing at 1800, but I encountered no issues. It's certainly over priced however; I'm pretty much unconcerned by the price of zoos and aquaria when I'm on holiday as the costs of getting there and hotels vastly outweigh the costs of entrance, but this small aquarium costs more to enter (cash only!) than Prague Zoo...

Still, despite the poor reviews by the public this isn't a bad aquarium. An odd freshwater tank greets you upon entering, filled with pacu, pangasius, alligator gars and shovelnose catfish (pure species and what looked like red tailed hybrids), along with a couple of freshwater rays, motoro and something I couldn't identify. Signage here isn't great...

Following the exhibits clockwise leads from freshwater to marine, sort of, with a strange mixture of the common and mundane to some real rarities. Pike cichlids, leopoldi freshwater rays, striped dats and a nile puffer rub shoulders with Cardinal tetras, parrot cichlids, gibbiceps plecs and giant danios. An unusual aquarium in the middle of the marine section holding Exodon paradoxus rounds out the freshwater collection.

Most of the aquarium is marine however, with some species being really over represented compared to the space available. I counted 6 baby black triggerfish in one tank, I just don't know where they can be displayed when they grow up considering there are another 2 larger individuals elsewhere. Panther groupers are also everywhere, being in 6 different tanks usually with multiple individuals.

Again though there are some nice species on display. A juvenile giant moray Gymnothorax javanicus, is probably the highlight, and will presumably be moved to a larger tank as it grows. Alas the dragon moray seen in pics online was nowhere to be seen. Another highlight was a very active little round stingray (Urobatis halleri) along with some short tailed nurse sharks. The tanks were usually fairly bland, but generally ok for the inhabitants as it stands, though the displays with live corals were ok. It is the only place I've seen with Aiptasia pest anemones signed which is a bit odd.

Overall it's not a terrible small aquarium, certainly it lacks the large, well themed tanks of larger aquaria, but as a short visit it works out ok. I certainly wouldn't rush back however...