Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo ARAZPA AWARDS

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 24 Mar 2007.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

tahts the thing they dont need to be large (unless they are for tapir swimming) i just want to see more fish, its not hard to heat an 8 X 2 X 3 foot tank, and thats alot of water, fluval heaters are amazing, large gouramis can handle cold weather, even mollies can. Interesting about the archers glyn i am looking into keeping them at the moment, but because of there brackish water habitat its hard to mix, but i will look at mertons water monitors if they can handle the salt, i need an excuse to get a bigger tank!

most tropical fish can survive at temps as low at 22C, african cichlids are very hardy handling most temps.

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

I definitely agree, that zoos generally don't do very much with fish, but do we really want to go to the zoo to see and 8' x 2' x 2' tank ful of basical tropical fish that you can buy in any old fish shop? I have one of those in my lounge, full of PNG and Queensland rainbowfish, as do thousands of other people.

Would you also be happy going to the zoo and seeing a bunch of multi-colored budgies, some zebra finches, and 27 different color morphs of lovebirds and ringnecks? I know I certainly wouldn't, and as Patrick says, I'd be pissed off to know that zoos were adding to global warming by heating a bunch of pools to display pretty standard tropical fish.

I'm all for fish being integrated into zoo exhibits, but not at the expense of seeing bog-standard species, with lots of energy being used to keep them warm.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I agree there zoo pro, i have a few rainbow fish in my comunity tank, but your average joe doesnt even know what a rainbow fish is, or a taginyakan cichlid, or an archer, there are plenty of cold water fish that could be added, Bitterlings, Medakas, White Clouds, Zebra Danios, Rosy Barbs, Silver Perch, Tandanus Catfish even paradise fish.
    I am just sick of goldfish

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

as a teenager it was all oscars and big chichlids, then in my early 20's i used to be a rainbow fish addict. i had all the pretty ones (still love em). now, for some reason i have developed an appreciation for danios and whiteclouds. its amazing how much more colourful they are when you keep them in a heavily vegetated tank...

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yeah danios are something, when we order in the assorted danios we get atleast 15 totally different fish

we are only just getting into rainbow fish. but archers are next on my list or african cichlids

6. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Ben. Archers are a bit dicey to keep - I've lost a number over the past couple of years. I have a pair now that I've had for about 8 months, and they've grown incredibly well, mostly on a diet of frozen brine shrimp.

But alas, I'm digressing from the topic - ARAZPA awards ;) Was there actually any discussion about the awards? lol

7. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

musinapongo

if i spelt her name right....???is the rhino who the team of reproductive experts harvested eggs from. who is the male rhino that was involved in the artificial semen collection procedure???
    two red panda cubs born january 8th to new american female imported last august debuted wednesday.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I saw the panda cubs when I was at Taronga a month ago. They had been brought out to be weighed etc. Very cute, just like those pictures.