Join our zoo community

Zoo Braunschweig "Arche Noah" Arche Noah Zoo - Braunschweig

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 21 Oct 2019.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This almost unknown Zoo has some special news : 4 Eastern spotted skunks arrived !

German Zoo World and twilighter like this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jungle Man likes this.
  3. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

4. JurassicMax

Last year the zoo received 1,2 Virginia opossums (Didelphis virginiana) which can now finally be seen in their outside enclosure which they share with Eastern spotted skunks (Spilogale putorius) and North American porcupines (Erethizon dorsatum).

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Braunschweig (21/01/2022) Login • Instagram

5. JurassicMax

6. RonBurrgundy

RonBurrgundy Well-Known Member Premium Member

According to ZTL the zoo added Bushbabys (Galago senegalensis) to it's collection in february.

They also added Virgina Opossums (Didelphis virginiana), which share their enclosure with spotted skunks and ursons.

JurassicMax and PossumRoach like this.
  7. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This has already been mentioned in a post made last year:

JurassicMax and RonBurrgundy like this.
  8. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Recently visited the park, and I must say that it's probably the nicest "smaller zoo" that I have visited! Nice enclosures for the most part, and nicely themed areas.

A hot tip, as I know many people visit the park to see the spotted skunks - they seem to feed them between 14-15 depending on the weather, and that is probably the best time to see the spotted skunks! A zookeeper told me that they otherwise are mostly active after 16.

The bushbabies were more or less always visible during our visit, but a zookeeper told us that they are most active around 14:30. They are housed in the African house (future lion house).

9. RonBurrgundy

RonBurrgundy Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for the tip I visited the zoo now 3 or 4 times and never saw the skunks. Next time I will go later in the day.

Daniel Sörensen likes this.
  10. Paul Kalisch

Paul Kalisch Active Member

Regarding my last weekend's first visit at this Zoo, I must point out how much I've enjoyed this facility and my time there. My rather low expectations of a small privately owned Zoo were exceeded by the fairly modern, species appropriate and nicely arranged enclosures, inhabiting an interesting and diverse collection of animals, you would rather expect to see in a big city zoo, than in a smaller facility such as Braunschweig's "Arche Noah" Zoo.
    Besides the big cats, who are represented by Siberian tigers and cheetahs, a lot of several callitrichidae species are being kept, aswell as several exotic birds and overall a good amount of exotic animals, who can be seen in lush enclosures, such as the Asian small-clawed otter. In regard of the exotic birds I must emphasize the Asian forest house, which is a small annex to the stable for Bactrian camels, which is being called home by several Asian bird species like the Bali starlings, Palawan peacock-pheasants, crested partridges and fruit doves. Said animal house is very pleasantly set up, for the animals just as much as for the visitors, which invites one sit and dwell in a warm enviorement while watching the birds.
    Yet another animal house was the true highlight of my visit, despite it being not finished and missing it's highlight. The future lion house has already been standing for several years and is inhabited by an even more diverse and interesting set of animals. An aviary beside the house, with a visible indoor enclosure, is home to grey parrots, masked lovebirds, ground squirrels, Kenya guineafowl and Bush hyraxes. As if the inhabitants themselves were not interesting enough, the aviary is also a walkthrough-aviary with the possibility to feed the the animals, making this experience one of my visit's highlights.
    On the other side of the house is an enclosure for dwarf mongoose and tortoises, aswell as a terrarium for king pythons. The Senegal galagos not even mentioned, the house is already without the lions a real higlight, which will only gain appeal with a spacious lion indoor and outdoor enclosure, including a tunnel through the planned outdoor enclosure, which i was able to spot peeking through a fence onto the construction site.
    Overall I am really delighted by such an interesting and modern facility. The enclosure design, aswell as the inhabitants of said enclsoures are really compelling through and through, with several highlights, especially the Asian and African animal houses. The development of the Zoo is just as promising and i am really looking forward to another visit when the new lion exhibit is finished, but already now this Zoo is most definetly worth a visit.
    After all it doesnt really fell like a "Small Zoo", but more like a real Zoo in smaller.

Cobi and matzek like this.