Join our zoo community

Are there any (good) New Zeland exhibits in europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by LARTIS, 20 Jun 2018.

1. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I recently came across the wonderful aviaries of Auckland Zoo for their native species

That let me wonder if there are any good New Zealand themed exhibits/exhibitions in europe

I am not talking especially about the awfull kea exhibits rather than other species

Beside the native Kiwi, pueko (represented by gallinule), ducks, parrots, weta, geckos, the zoos could show some of the introduced species to show how invasive species(rats, weasel, fox, rabbits, wallaby, hedgehog, singing birds and australian birds) became a thread to the island species

(if I missed another species kept at european facillities, feel welcome to add )

If some of you have seen the Kiwi exhibits at other institutions than Alphen an de rijn Avifauna you might describe it in here since I have not seen them any where else (except antwerpen ans walsrode, but those exhibits got closed down)

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Walsrode displays the species onshow, actually.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think he means the now closed down enclosure in the Hummingbird house.

But to answer the question: no, it is hard enough to find a half decent Australian section already.... The zoo that probably comes closest is Zlin-Lesna which has two aviaries with Kea + Australian magpie and a second with Kiwi + Red- and Yellow-crowned kakariki.

Mathijs and pipaluk like this.
  4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Until the birds sadly died, the Arundel Wildfowl Trust had a wonderful exhibit for Blue Ducks - it was the highlight of many a list there!

Mathijs and pipaluk like this.