Join our zoo community

Are These in Captivity?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 5 Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Checking, as many new nocturnal houses opened as old ones closed in the last two decades.

Actually, innovations in the zoo world usually come from smaller, new zoos and outside the industry. It is only natural that most innovative zoos in Central Europe and Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and some of the former DDR (mostly Leipzig and Magdeburg). In Britain you have Hamerton, RSSC and a generation ago Gerald Durrell, John Aspinall and Marwell. I will not name all these old city zoos in Europe which look like museums of old buildings with poorly fitted just-adequate exhibits. In this way, the most innovative zoos in a short future will be in Asia, and Europe will soon start to copy Asian innovations and import Asian species. Things like huge aviaries from Jurong or oceanaria from Japan.

Pacarana likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd have trouble calling many zoos you name innovative, Magdeburg excepted, only if you mean innovative by creating space for the largest number of rarities. Most don't exactly do new stuff, but they are building new enclosures at higher pace than in W-Europe, but they also have more catching up to do. Zoos that I think have been most innovative in recent years are clearly from inside the industry like Burgers' Zoo, Doué and Nürnberg (one could also include Pairi Daiza which were innovative especially 10 years ago, they were indeed more outsiders).

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I didn´t call Czech zoos innovative. I just mentioned that some people with old-fashioned love for collecting weird species are in power at a few of them. When they retire, who knows what future brings us.

Asia is no doubt the future of zoo world. Their mass of people is getting weathy and their zoos will develop at lightning speed because no other part of the world will have resources equaling theirs. Zoochat is way too US/AUS/Europe-centric.

Azubaa likes this.
  4. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jurong Birdpark was already impressive a decade ago and by far the best bird park I ever visited (maybe Walsrode has a better/larger collection, but doesn't come close to the avaries at Jurong), so I guess the new bird park will be even more amazing.

5. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Why are woodpeckers rare in captivity? I'm not complaining because I've seen several awesome species, especially in Japanese zoos, but in general most zoos don't have any, whether local or exotic.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They had very specific breeding and I think feeding needs which are difficult to recreate in captivity.

~Thylo

7. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed, but not for a while. I look forward to many new zoo developments on the continent, just as much as I look forward to certain zoos there closing, or at least drastically improving.
    I think Zoochat is like this because that’s where the majority of members reside, and in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, much of the larger mammalian species that are big draws in zoos, are still in the wild.

Anyways, I’d like to know if there are any Beira Antelope in captivity. I’ve heard maybe at a collection in the emirates, but not sure where.
    Also, why are gerenuk barely kept in Europe? I assume it’s down to a few factors like sensitivity to climate, but I’m not as familiar with the species as most other antelopes.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More info can be found in this thread :

Woodpeckers in zoos

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  9. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

I might have said this before but I did see a Pileated Woodpecker at the National Zoo's aviary/bird house. As I recall the aviary was too small for a bird of its size, and it didn't look in great shape.

10. RatioTile

Are there any Myanmar arowanas on display in the US? According to Zootierliste the only European place with this species is a Polish Aquarium.

11. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Are there any Oahu deceptor bush crickets on display? (I know they're in captivity just want to know if they're on display anywhere).

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There used to be a group of Beira in Qatar, but they are sadly gone now.

TinoPup likes this.
  13. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Are there portuguese man of wars in captivity?

ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  14. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Has the Humboldt Squid ever been kept? Seems unlikely as most squid species fare badly and the Humboldt's size and feeding behaviour would make it even harder than other species.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  15. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone ever seen Blackfin Barracuda in captivity? Zootierliste doesn't even list it and I can't find any records of it in captivity.

16. RatioTile

There doesn't appear to be that particular species of barracuda in captivity, though JAZA Database lists 5 other barracuda species, including great, in Japanese aquariums.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  17. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

JAZA? Is that a Japanese database?

18. RatioTile

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

JAZA is the Japanese Association of Zoos and Aquaria; the link @RatioTile posted is their database.

20. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I did see a great barracuda at the Osaka Aquarium.

Attached Files:

TinoPup likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.