Join our zoo community

Ark Lady sends greetings from California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arklady, 31 Mar 2009.

1. arklady

arklady New Member

Just a quick note to say hello. Imagine I'll reconnect with many of you that I've lost touch with over the years.

I've been at a variety of zoos (private and otherwise) and am an alumna from the ITC (Durrell Trust) and the EATM (America's Teaching Zoo at Moorpark).

My work has been as an animal behavior consultant and trainer of both wild and domestic animals. At the moment my career has shifted to that of a writer.

I am the author of two books and a contributing editor to another you might have seen--(Resources for Crisis Management for Zoos & Other Animal Facilities).

My behavior column appeared in the Journal of the American Association of Zoo Keepers (Animal Keepers Forum) from 1996-2006.

Since I currently live in the mountains I am doing more domestic animal consultations these days.

You can find me blogging at Ark Animals. If you have any conservation or behavior projects you want exposure for feel free to contact me. (My readers like about 1,000 words if you are interested and they should be geared toward the general public.)

If you are someone I have lost contact with--my apologies but I hope you will drop me a line!

Diana L Guerrero (aka Ark Lady)

2. Smeegs

Smeegs Member

That sounds like you have had quite the career so far!

How did you like Moorpark? I am going to the Zoo and Animal program at Santa Fe College in Florida right now and I was thinking just to get as much experience and knowledge before I try to apply to jobs I might end up going to Moorpark as well.

3. arklady

arklady New Member

:) Yes, I have enjoyed an interesting journey/

Thanks for the reply. Moorpark was the only accredited program (other than some private certifications) at the time. The difference is that it is more oriented to training and performing. There are options you can specialize in now but Santa Fe (as I understand it) is mainly zoo oriented.

I write an Unusual Animal Career series and plan to include some interviews with a variety of programs out there now.

The program then was tough under Bill Brisby. Today there is a lottery for admission--then it was experience and a tough interview with a panel of staff members.

Also, you used to get kicked out for a variety of small offenses which is not the case today. Since the field was so competitive it was considered a badge of honor if you made it through the "Harvard of Animal Trainers."

I'd say define the goals you want to achieve and then pick the program that best matches them.

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to Zoochat!

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Welcome to ZooChat!! We have a few other authors lurking in the shadows on this site.:)

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Blackduiker

Welcome to ZooChat Ark Lady. Big Bear Lake is always a lovely place to visit here in Southern California.

8. Smeegs

Smeegs Member

There are a lot of opportunities to get training experience at the teaching zoo, but I think I may go to moorpark to get that extra experience and knowledge. Also unfortunately I have not been able to participate in training as much as I would like here and want to be completely confident in my abilities.

9. foz

foz Well-Known Member

hello, welcome to zoochat

10. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

welcome to zoochat. I love you display pic.