Join our zoo community

Army Ants!!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Chlidonias, 4 Sep 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

reading recently that Blackpool Zoo in the UK had attempted on a former occasion(s) to keep army ants had me pondering whether they could be kept successfully in captivity given their lifestyle. So I did some googling and found the interesting recent article below.

Any further information on any aspects of keeping army ants is most welcome.

California Wild Winter 2005 - Feature

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw that ant exhibit. It was pretty cool. The California Academy of Sciences was located in a temporary facility for a few years while they tore down the old building in Golden Gate Park and rebuilt it. They had a temporary aquarium with a big coral reef tank and the African penguins. They had a series of temporary exhibits: ants, California ecosystems, and a dinosaur exhibit from the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

The ant exhibit featured the army ants, honey pot ants, and I think leaf-cutter ants. The army ant exhibit was a big open air terrarium that had a sandy substrate as I recall and lots of logs and plants in it. For the army ants mostly I remember that you could see large numbers of them moving through the plants and across the sandy dirt. The honeypot ants were really cool as you could see the whole society at work, including the workers with the distended abdomens adapted for storing honey.

Brian Fischer, the guy who wrote the article you quoted, would be the person to contact for specific information about the exhibit. He is a really nice guy by all accounts, and a world expert on the ants of Madagascar. You should be able to find his contact info on the Cal Academy of Sciences website (calacademy.org) or find a general contact e-mail where you can send him a query that will be routed to him.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That was an interesting and entertaining read!

:p

Hix

4. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

Unfortunately when I saw the exhibit the army ants had been wiped out by the beetle larvae. One aspect of the exhibit that was especially awesome were the ant hole casts - metal or wax that had been poured into various species of ant burrows and the resulting casts showed the varied and complex nests.