Join our zoo community

Artis Royal Zoo Artis News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by JurassicMax, 31 Dec 2021.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Today Artis revealed what will happen with the former Camel enclosure, it will house the Scimitar-horned oryxes (Oryx dammah). This isn't a complete surprise given that their former enclosure will be replaced by the new lion enclosure.

Currently two species still reside in the camel enclosure, 2 Ankole Longhorns and 2 domestic donkeys. The Ankole longhorns will move to the savanna enclosure next week, while the donkeys will be send to Apenheul.

After these animals have left the camel enclosure, it will be renovated to fit the needs of the scimitar-horned oryxes. Not only will the outside enclosure be modified, also a new visitors
    pavilion will be built next to the enclosure. This enclosure has been designed by Thijs de Zeeuw, who has already designed multiple enclosures in Artis like the Asian elephant enclosure, Japanese crane/snowy owl aviary and false gharial enclosure. See his website for the full list of enclosures that he has designed, landscape architecture - Thijs de Zeeuw

Altogether this plan to exhibit a species that is extinct in the wild on such a prominant place in the zoo, seems like a good way of Artis to show the importance of zoos in conserving species.
    I do hope that the new visitor pavilion will not be another restaurant or food court, but a education facility.

Source:
    Website of Artis (22/02/2022) In het wild uitgestorven algazel krijgt nieuwe plek

2. JurassicMax

During a recent visit to Artis I noticed 2 new species:
    - I saw 4 Puna ibises (Plegadis ridgwayi) in the coastal part of the birdhouse. They have finally arrived, their signage has been in place since July 2021...
    - In the Metzelaarskas/Tropical greenhouse I saw 4 Red junglefowls (Gallus gallus).

Sadly the enclosure of the Speckled cape tortoises (Chersobius signatus) next to the Aldabra giant tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea gigantea) enclosure was completely empty...

Keith, Choco115, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  3. JurassicMax

Recently a male Socorro dove (Zenaida graysoni) arrived to accompany the already present female. They can be found in the butterfly greenhouse.

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (16/03/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CbKNGwMKlfY/

Haliaeetus likes this.
  4. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are there plans for the Kerbert terras ?

5. JurassicMax

I haven't heard of any official plans yet.
    They did start to work on the Camel enclosure, the two species have let the enclosure and all trees have been cut down.
    At first I thought that the donkeys had left the zoo, but they can actually be found in the old petting zoo area.
    The Ankole longhorns have moved to the savanna enclosure, but for now they only have access to the giraffe enclosure.

6. JurassicMax

During my visit today, I noticed the following changes:

Kleine zoogdierenhuis / Small mammal house:
    - The Gray mouse lemurs (Microcebus murinus) can be found in their old enclosure again, next to the fennec foxes.
    - Recently the last Pygmy marmoset (Cebuella pygmaea) passed away, Artis no longer keeps this species now.
    - Two weeks ago a White-faced saki (Pithecia pithecia) was born! Artis now has 2.1.1 White-faced sakis!

Apenhuis / Monkey house:
    - The Brazilian tanagers (Ramphocelus bresilia) now have access to the entire walkthrough area, but can mostly be found near their aviary.

Vogelhuis / Bird house:
    - I noticed a new species in the former Wreathed hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus) aviary, namely a Sumatran laughingthrush (Garrulax bicolor)! According to ZTL a male arrived from Zoo Praha!

Fazanterie / Pheasantry:
    - Another new species can be found in the pheasantry, namely a pair of Common hoopoes (Upupa epops).

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (23/03/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CbcQ5X2IzQx/

Last edited: 23 Mar 2022
    Antoine, Choco115 and StoppableSan like this.
  7. JurassicMax

Sadly the male Linnaeus' two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus) who was kept in the Kleine Zoogdierenhuis/Small mammalhouse was euthanised last week. His enclosure has been merged with the adjacent Cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) enclosure. Artis now only has two-toed sloth left, a female who can be found in the Apenhuis/Forest house.

Soon a new species will be visible in the Fazanterie/Pheasantry, namely Java sparrows (Lonchura oryzivora).

Sources:
    Information signs I saw at their enclosures.

Choco115 likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought the he is actually a she and she was rather old in her 30's++, a considerable age

9. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Artis recently received two pairs of Baer's pochard (Aythya baeri) from Harteman Wildfowl. They are currently in quarantine for a number of health checks. After the quarantine one of the pairs will move to AquaZoo Leeuwarden.

Source

Kifaru Bwana, JurassicMax and Antoine like this.
  10. JurassicMax

Kifaru Bwana and Haliaeetus like this.
  11. JurassicMax

The young has started to explore the aviary and the zoo has revealed its gender, it's a male!

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (08/04/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CcF3x7Oo3Nf/

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. JurassicMax

Last Friday two 13 meter tall Jubaea chilensis "Chilean wine palms" were planted/placed in the former camel enclosure, according to the zoo's instagram they are the tallest of their species in the Netherlands.

Other news, the last two Coypu (Myocastor coypus) passed away, according to information signs their former enclosure will now house Red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans). I have already seen 3 turtles in the enclosure.

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (30/04/20220 https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc75YL-oFQL/

Haliaeetus and KevinB like this.
  14. hamoomoo

hamoomoo Active Member

Hi all,

I am considering visiting Artis in August and just wondered how much construction etc is still going on. Are the lions still on show while their new enclosure is being built? Would it be better to wait another year or so while they make changes in the zoo then visit, to see it at its best?
    Just wondering what the general consensus is for a new visitor to Artis :)

TIA

15. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, the lions are still on show. At this moment the only constructions going on are the new scimitar-horned oryx exhibit being build (where the camels used to live next to the entrance) and the aquarium being renovated, but that won’t be finished in the next two years. So I wouldn’t wait for another year, as both the aquarium and the new lion enclosure shouldn’t be finished by then either, and you can still see the lions in their old exhibit now

16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You are better of visiting Apenheul, Burgers Zoo or Diergaarde Blijdorp currently. All are within 1.5 hours by public transport from Amsterdam.

hamoomoo and Sneeuwpanter like this.
  17. JurassicMax

There are actually two more constructions/renovations that are going on at the moment.
    The enclosure of the Lowland anoas (Bubalus depressicornis) is getting renovated, but the animals are still visible in the former Malayan tapir enclosure.
    The Volharding, white building in the middle of the zoo, is getting renovated therefore the Tasmanian red-necked wallaby (Notamacropus rufogriseus fruticus) walkthrough enclosure is closed. The wallabies are still visible in the enclosure near the chimpanzees.

I would say it is, you could combine it with a visit to Micropia and the Grootte Museum. If you are the most interested in fish, I would say that you come back in a few years.

StoppableSan, hamoomoo and Choco115 like this.
  18. JurassicMax

According to a recent Instagram post, 4 male blue-throated macaws hatched this year.

During a recent visit a saw Java sparrows (Lonchura oryzivora) in an aviary in the pheasantry and in a separate aviary in the tropical part of the birdhouse.
    I also (finally) saw the pair of Baer's pochard (Aythya baeri) which can also be found in the tropical part of the birdhouse.
    Furthermore I also saw one of the Greater hill mynas (Gracula religiosa intermedia), I persume a male, in an aviary in the pheasantry. The other two, breeding pair, can still be seen in the birdhouse.

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (25/05/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd-eVzBKAjo/

Keith, Choco115 and Antoine like this.
  19. JurassicMax

During a recent visit a noticed a few changes.

- The Pig-nosed turtle (Carettochelys insculpta) has been moved from the tropical greenhouse to the former manatee tank (in the Gorilla house).
    - I spotted a male Red junglefowl (Gallus gallus) in the tropical greenhouse, Artis now has 1,4 red junglefowl.

- According to an information sign in the kleine zoogdierenhuis/ Small mammalhouse a new species will be put on display (soon), namely European Garden dormouse (Eliomys quercinus). I persume that it takes a while before we can see them since their enclosure needs to be refurbished first.

AWP, Keith and Choco115 like this.
  20. JurassicMax

Two days ago a male California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) was born.

According to a sign at the fennec fox enclosure in the small mammal house, the female Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda) was recently euthanised. She was the last Fennec fox in Artis.

Furthermore the Southern three-banded armadillos (Tolypeutes matacus) have moved to a different enclosure in the small mammal house, next to the former gundi enclosure. Their old enclosure together with the 2 other (now empty) enclosures will be housing European Garden dormice (Eliomys quercinus). According to a recent Instagram post, Artis received 2 dormice from GaiaZoo.

Source:
    Instagram of Artis (08/06/2022) Login • Instagram
    Instagram of Artis (11/06/2022) Login • Instagram

Max Blundell, MennoPebesma and Keith like this.