Join our zoo community

As shorebird populations drastically decline in the French Caribbean, hunting traditions persist

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by UngulateNerd92, 4 Dec 2021.

1. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

'Shorebirds are declining at an unprecedented rate'

Some traditions die hard, even when times and circumstances change. On some Caribbean islands, shorebird hunting, which dates back to the colonial era, is one of these long-standing customs, particularly in the French Caribbean islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe. The practice also takes place—albeit to a lesser extent—on the English-speaking island of Barbados, in the eastern Caribbean, while on the South American mainland, shorebird hunting is most prevalent in French Guiana and Suriname.

As shorebird populations drastically decline in the French Caribbean, hunting traditions persist · Global Voices

Bengal Tiger and Antoine like this.
  2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am not surprised with these maters as hunting still a common activities even in France mainland and it's hard to forbid it even on endangered species. The solution is often coming from european directives and court decisions.
    In french caribean the situation is more difficult as the people didn't trust in authorities (due to historical problems) and don't have a lot of money. So I am not sure the shorebirds will be helped before a long time.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  3. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I add that the lack of confidence in the authorities in the French Caribbean is a very broad problem, present in every sector of political life (as the most recent news have shown it) and absolutely not restricted to bird conservation.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  4. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That was the sens of my previous comment but maybe was not clear enough ;)

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  5. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Something really needs to be done. Y’know, if you think about it they are hunting their traditions to extinction.