Join our zoo community

Asian Elephants in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Hyak_II, 11 Apr 2018.

1. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Millie died on November 13, 1996 at the age of 25, and Chikki died in Estepona in 2016.

2. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

Thank you for relaying that sad news.
    Part of me has now died.

3. Elephantelephant

Tamara died in Pistoia at age 48. Savanna remained alone, I would suggest relocating elsewhere. You can't even look at their terrible device.:(:mad:

4. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

Are these the Cricket elephants with different names then??

5. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Member 5+ year member

I'm surry, but, why?
    Do you know that about five years ago they opened a new elephant enclosure in a newly acquired field for the zoo's expansion? The former and dreadful elephant pen is now part of the giraffe enclosure.
    This is the new enclosure and by looking at the map you can clearly see that it's quaite a big enclosure :)

Attached Files:

Elephantelephant likes this.
  6. Elephantelephant

Oh yes. I've already noticed that they have a new luxury paddock. Now I would probably recommend bringing some elephant cows from Fasano as a Savanna company.

7. Elephantelephant

Probably not. Savanna and Tamara have lived here for 45 years. Where they come from is not known.

8. Elephantelephant

Now I have written a list of cows that are suitable for breeding and have not yet had any calves and are over 15 years old or have no calf for more than five years:
    Yu Yu Yin: she might still have another calf at the age of 40, the last calf in 2005, Planckendael
    Pang Pha: 32 years old, her last daughter Anchali was born in 2012, Berlin
    Maejaruad: 30 years old, the only calf she had in 2003 was probably not repeated because of her very low herd status, Köln
    Trinh: probably cannot get pregnant due to abortion in 2009, Leipzig
    Panang: 29 years old, the last calf in 2011, observed mating with Gajendra, Munich
    Temi: 17 years old, the last calf in 2011, Munich
    Mangala: 26 years old, no calf yet, probably too old for the firstborn, Munich
    Kaveri: 35 years old, the last calf in 2009, probably due to abortion, Le Pal
    Nina: 25 years old, the last calf Tom in 2014, mating with Upali observed in summer 2019, Le Pal
    Alix: 36 years old, the last calf in 2006, at present the possibility of breeding with Gandhi, La Palmyre
    Malicia: 35 years old, the last calf in 2006, at present the possibility of breeding with Gandhi, La Palmyre
    Noor Jahan: 23 years old, the last calf Esha in 2014, currently searching for a suitable male, Blackpool
    Tara: 20 years old, the only calf in 2012 with AI, currently searching for a suitable male, Blackpool
    Kaylee: 37 years old, the last calf in 2009, the problem of getting pregnant?, Whipsnade
    Chandrika: 27 years old, the only calf in 2011?, Raja doesn't want to mate naturally, Woburn
    Damini: 25 years old, the last calf in 2014, Raja doesn't want to mate naturally, Woburn
    Yu Zin: 40 years old, the last calf in 2002, Raja doesn't want to mate naturally, Woburn
    Ma Palai: she still didn't have a calf at the age of 21, Mierlo- Dierenrijk
    Trong Nhi: the only calf in 2013, 16 years old, Rotterdam
    Sanoi: she still didn't have a calf at the age of 22, Kolmarden
    Sandry: 19 years old, the last calf in 2013, Rapperswill
    Chandra: 17 years old, she still had no calf, Zürich
    Indi: 33 years old, the last calf Omysha was born in 2014, observed mating with Thai, Zürich
    Delhi: 36 years old, the only calf was born in 2004 after AI, probably will be transported to another zoo, so perhaps there will be the possibility of breeding, Usti nad Labem
    Tendi: 20 years old, she had no calf yet, the elephants in Ukraine are not doing well, Kharkiv

Pregnant cows:
    Shu Thu Zar- sommer 2020, Köln
    Janita- April 2020, Prague
    Tamara- Aprl 2020, Prague
    Rani- Spring 2020, Leipzig

Does anyone know any other pregnancies?

9. Elephantelephant

News:
    Saba (51) from Kolmarden moves to Burgers Zoo to old cow Pinky.
    Kyan from Amersfoort moves to Nikolaev Zoo in summer 2019.

10. Elephantelephant

Is Sanoi pregnant? I saw the video of elephants in Kolmarden, and it seemed to me that it was much wider than the other elephants. Does Kolmarden Announce Pregnancy? And if so when?

11. Elephantelephant

Farina's calf was named Luna.;)

12. Elephantelephant

13. Elephantelephant

Sensational Report from Kolmarden Zoo!!!!!!!:) After asking about breeding elephants, I got the answer that the elephant cow Bua is pregnant !!!!! Now I find out when the calf is born, so wait. When I know it, I'll inform you right away.;)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. Elephantelephant

The calf is expected in April next year.:)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

EAZA has issued a statement that all EAZA zoo should manage their elephants using protected contact, starting 2030. This should mean that badly outdated practices like in Hamburg and Pairi Daiza will be a thing of the past within a decade..

The full statement can be downloaded here:
    EAZA DOCUMENTS » EAZA

Elephantelephant likes this.
  16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The EAZA statement clearly says that the reason is easy exchange of breeding elephants between zoos without retraining them to other type of contact, and "this statement therefore does not condemn the use of free contact management".

17. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So zoos like Pairi Daiza who aren't a member of EAZA could still hold their elephants hands-on?

18. Elephantelephant

Probably yes.

19. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pairi Daiza is a member of the EAZA and the EEP. So the new rules apply to them too. The question is what will happen if they dont change to PC. They are free to leave the EEP/EAZA (or might be expelled if they dont follow the new policy). However, all the breeding elephants are on loan from other zoos and this might result in their relocation.

That is all far in the future though. A lot can happen in 11 years. Having that many elephants in free contact is an accident waiting to happen and a dead or badly injured keeper might change the mind of the management.

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe I was unclear, but I never said that statement did, I just wanted to point out that this is (for me) a positive (side-)effect. You can also not expect EAZA to condemn something many of its members are still doing or have been doing for a very long time. However I can't help but think that this is an elegant way in which such outdated practices can be removed from EAZA zoos, without causing a huge stir and I would personally be surprised if that is not one of the hinterlying motivations for this statement.

Elephantelephant and FunkyGibbon like this.