Join our zoo community

Aspiring Zookeeper

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Izzy Anderson, 15 May 2017.

1. Izzy Anderson

Izzy Anderson New Member

hi everyone! My name is Izzy and I'm 19 years old from Pewaukee, Wisconsin! I just finished my sophomore year in college and am working toward an Animal Behavior degree at Carroll University!! I've always wanted to work with animals and want to become a part of the zoo community:) any advice is greatly appreciated! My local zoo is the Milwaukee county zoo, and yes, it's not the greatest in terms of pachyderms, and needs a lot of updating/renovations, but they're in the becoming! The zoo is currently building a BRAND NEW enclosure for our elephants Ruth and Brittany, along with better rhino and hippo habitats! I'm super excited to see where these renovations end up! Oh and a new otter building/enclosure is in the works too!! I discovered this website tonight and am pumped that I did:)

Arizona Docent and Grant like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi Izzy! I also just finished my sophomore year of college for Biology/Zoology. As an aspiring zookeeper also I do as much as I can at my local zoo Miller Park. It's extremely small, but I have gathered 10 years now of experience there and I appreciate that a lot. I am also doing an internship at a zoo, and am doing a shadowing experience in Cincinnati Zoo's Night Hunters exhibit later this summer. What I have found helps is talking to keepers that you see, I have done that at Brookfield, St. Louis, and Cincinnati. When you ask them what experience they have had and how they got the job, it really kind of builds a connection and I have gathered lots of e-mails and advice from that!!

Izzy Anderson likes this.
  3. Izzy Anderson

Izzy Anderson New Member

Wow grant! 10 years experience in a zoo is INCREDIBLE!!! I've been struggling with zoo experience, as the Milwaukee zoo doesn't offer any internships:/ I've interned for two terms of about 3 months each at a wildlife rehab center and have been at the local humane society for about 1 1/2 years! When I eventually graduate school hopefully I can move somewhere where I'll be able to gain better experience!!!

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ahh darn thats unfortunate, Miller Park offered a lot of volunteer opportunities (in part because they are so small and staff is limited) so thats how, but my friend who is also a zoology major is volunteering at a rehab center and loves it!! I never have but think it would be great

5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to the forum @Izzy Anderson. I look forward to hearing more about your journey to working with exotic animals. What species are you most interested in?

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also from the Netherlands, welcome to ZooChat and please keep us informed about the latest news from Milaukee :).

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome and best wishes on your career. Getting a degree is essential these days so you are on the right path there. Experience is also essential, so if you can do summer internships away from home that is great. A lot of zoological facilities offer internship programs; hopefully you can afford to do one over the summers (which will require paying for your own housing and food).