Join our zoo community

Attica Zoo Dolphins Confiscated

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by John Dineley, 24 Mar 2011.

1. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Anyone have any information about this? Found the original story of the WDCS web site so I tend to take their reporting of news related to dolphins in captive care as rather subjective.

The animals were captive bred and came from Lithuanian Sea Museum which I understand loaned the dolphins whilst they renovate their dolphinarium at the museum.

2. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

Just watched the video and although I don't speak any Greek, it looks plausible that the dolphins were confiscated because of improper paper work. The pool does not look too bad, but the papers should certainly have been okay. It is good that the Greek authorities intervened, in case there really was something "fishy".

3. John Dineley

Thanks for that. Will ask around to see what I can find out. Funny that the animals actually are owned by Lithuanian Sea Museum and can not return there as they are expanding and rebuilding their dolphin facility.

4. John Dineley

I have some more information. Apparently Attica did have all the correct paperwork but the Greek government changed the rules after the animals arrived; something the WDCS didn't mention but why would they as they are into propaganda not actually facts in all matters to do with cetaceans in captivity. Basically this is this down to politics and the Greek government have now to pay for the up-keep of the animals.

I am just waiting for the animal-rights groups like the WDCS to come up with 'a plan' to release these animals back to the wild - unfortunately these animals were all born in captivity in Lithuanian so that will be a problem.

5. peacock

peacock Well-Known Member

John,

can i ask a question?

how do you feel about the longevity discrepancies between wild and captive orcas?

6. John Dineley

Interesting question albeit a little off thread as Attica have bottlenose dolphins not orca and there clear differences regarding the available data on survivorship for these two species and what it actually means.

Nonetheless, there has been some actual research that been published; I mean in peer review journals not just long lists of deaths from various groups which tend to presented without historical context.

My colleague published a paper on this which can be found HERE. He up-dated it 2000 to included more contemporary data.

And some years ago when Klinowska did the Review of Dolphinaria in 1986 she look at the issue HERE

You will note that the calculations presented may seem complicated but this is because just having long lists of animals and then doing basic average assessments of deaths isn't going to give you useful information as their is no context as regards husbandry of the animals etc.

Basically there needs to be more independent research.

7. peacock

peacock Well-Known Member

Yes, I am aware that it was somewhat off topic and involved a different species at that. Its just that you appear to be rather content with the current situation regarding captive cetaceans and I am keen for more information. Personally, as I mentioned in another thread, I have no problem with the keeping of cetaceans in captivity per se, however I am yet to see any animals in a situation I felt ethically comfortable with.

Thanks for the reports. I will try and make some sense of them.