Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo 2007

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nigel, 26 May 2007.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chlidonias,

Is the takahe population now growing thanks to captive-rearing at Mt. Bruce and/or Te Anau? What about the mammal predation and eradication: what is the status here?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

in 1948 when the breeding population in Fiordland was originally discovered there were between 250 and 300 birds (probably at the lower end of that figure). There was a major decline in the 60s and 70s due to deer destroying the habitat and stoats etc killing chicks. In 1982 there were around 150 birds (with fluctuations either side). In 1995 total population was about 200 birds (about 130 in the wild at the original site, and the rest on islands and a few in captivity). Today there are about 240.

In other words, the population goes up and down all the time but is now only about the same as what it was back in 1948 (but higher than just ten years ago). It could be thought of as a SAFER population though in that there are quite a lot on offshore islands (I don't know exact numbers).

As for introduced mammals, the islands they are on are all entirely free of them. In Fiordland trapping and poisoning is constant to keep mammal numbers to a bare minimum as much as possible.

3. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i remember reading somewhere that an auckland zoo female orangutan died from cancer? any details on this?

4. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I've just added a lot of photo's from Auckland Zoo... Taken in Oct 2007, if anyone is interested...

5. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

i was wacthing the zoo and noticed the amount of lions cubs born : how many were there in total and where are they now

6. NZ Jeremy

I believe there was 11 all up that went to various zoo's...

The Lionesses there now are on contraceptives...

There is currently 2.3, the dominant male is Lazarus...

7. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

this is old news that passed under the radar-auckland zoo produced its first zebra foal in fifteen years. the sire died recently so he lives on in the genes of this foal. in total 4 zebras now live at Auckland with the two previous offspring of the mare in Australian zoos.
    all together Australasian zoos seemed to have produced a handful of zebras in 2007.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Flamingos

I wonder what is the actual stand in the flamingo colony in Aucland - has the breeding been confirmed? Any eggs or even chicks? Thanks for your reply!

Last edited: 11 Feb 2008
  9. NZ Jeremy

Hey Jana,

When I went a week or two ago I noticed they had stopped their nesting behaviour and as I don't think there has been an announcement of eggs (viable ones at least) I think this year has been a rehearsal for a year to come (as pointed out by Chlidonias)...

10. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi NZ Jeremy
    I am not glad to hear that but I believe the next season to be far more successful.

11. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Visit to Auckland Zoo Feb 2008

I visited the zoo today .
    The animal health/conservation centre is up and running , and some staff were doing a procedure on a lizard ( possibly a blue tongue ? ) but as they are behind glass I couldnt ask them .
    The otters and red pandas have new enclosures -- next to the tiger exhibit
    Next week it should be confirmed if the female tiger is pregnant . She have recently mated with the male .
    A new NZ section is starting to be built where the aquiriam is , but this is not due to open for a few years yet .
    This will mean that the zoo poo operations will relocate , and the kiwi , kea , whio and tuatara will move location .
    One of the elephant keepers showed me the angkus that they use . The sharp point that is on most angkus' has been removed from the ones at this zoo .
    There is a large amount of education on conservation , ecology , global warming , plastics , deforrestation , recycling .... you name it . This zoo is more than just displaying and breeding animals .
    One of the signs near the bonnet macaques mentioned that the zoo has been directed not to breed any more of these species , but to start towards more endangered macaque species . Unfortunately they didnt specify what these would be !!

12. NZ Jeremy

That has been up for a few years now, I've never thought to ask... Duh...

Did you happen to ask what will happen to the old Kiwi and Tuatara House and the Kea exhibit after Te Wao Nui opens..?

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Te Wao Nui

This is still in the early stages -- as I am interested in zoochitecture and zoo design I am very interested to know more about the whole thing .....
    I dont think anyone yet knows the answer to your question as I tried to ask similar , and got vague responses at best .....

14. NZ Jeremy

I've been very nosy around the fences at the rear of the zoo (nothing inappropriate mind you) but other visitors give me a look that says, "Why is that guy as interested as whats behind the construction fence as the animals"... LOL

Snorkels the elderly Hippo's exhibit is also going (the entrance is supposed to be by the Orangs and Sea Lions behind Snorkels exhibit there), not sure whats gonna happen to the frog house, the walk through native aviary has been closed for about 5 - 6 months now and the aquarium since late December...

Great weather for it today..!

15. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Would you Kiwi guys know whats happening with Auckland zoos Asian elephants in regards to if they are joining the breeding program with Australia or have they given it a miss?, the younger cow maybe still able to be bred?

16. NZ Jeremy

They tried AI with the younger cow, Burma - unsuccessful and have said they won't be trying again as she showed "discomfort" with the procedure...

I read that on this site somewhere in another thread...

17. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Aucklands elephants

and that was the same response that I got last week when I visited the zoo

Apparently the female that they were going to get from Thailand was quite stroppy , where the current two are very placid in comparison .

18. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

Are the lions at Auckland going to be bred again, or are the lionesses well represented now? Sees a bit of a waste importing 2 males to just breed once?

19. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

last i read burma was considered infertile. all a case of too little too late i'm afraid. i'm pretty sure auckland have their hopes pinned on getting elephants bred from australian zoos further down the track.

20. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo will probably want Aussie bred elephants; Australia Zoo will want some and probably other places will want some, too.

Wow - Taronga will have to become a regular "puppy mill" of elephants! :D