Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Tygo, 4 Jan 2016.

1. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to the zoo yesterday to see the new exhibit and I was very impressed. In short, it is a really good area and was a great addition to the zoo. I'm not sure exactly where the new brolga exhibit is going to be and where viewing will be from; but that exhibit is due to be completed next year. The brolga are temporarily on display along from the alligators. I will write a short walkthrough/full review of the area soon, and hopefully post it in its own topic. :)

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't notice the brolgas were at a different location on the map. So you have a photo of them in that enclosure? Are there still meerkats along from there, or is that exhibit now empty?

3. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

Actually, the brolgas are located beside the alligator exhibit now. Also on the map, even though it's not clear on the map, there is a path that leads into the new aviary and loops back out the same way.

4. ZooNZ

Excited to see the new Strangely Beautiful Australia. Going to the zoo this week, should be interesting to see. Also, they opened the new exhibit on their 94th Birthday! Happy Birthday Auckland Zoo!

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  5. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately no sorry, I didn't get a photo of the temporary brolga enclosure. And I tried to get a few photos of the exhibits in the Australian area but as it was school holidays, the weekend, and opening day of a new area, (the zoo was really busy) the photos aren't very good and I kind of just wanted to enjoy the new exhibits instead of just trying to get people out of the way to take photos. But tomorrow I will write a some what detailed walkthrough and review of the area and maybe attach a couple good photos I got. :)

6. ZooNZ

Went to the zoo yesterday and found out that the South East Asia exhibit will be called 'Wild Indonesia'. Also will post some photos of the information and photos and review on Strangely Beautiful Australia tomorrow :)

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any idea which species will go under this banner?
    Any new species or just the existing mix / collection?

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wild Indonesia will include Sumatran orangutans (new species) and Sumatran tiger (existing species).

9. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Other species that will be included are siamangs and otters.Though I don't know why they will be including otters, since they aren't from Indonesia.It is set to start construction late next year and open mid-year 2018.Anyone know what will happen to their Bornean's .

BennettL

Last edited: 29 Dec 2016
  10. Kifaru Bwana

The Borneans were supposedly on the list for AZA/US zoos.
    Will check up tonite.

11. BennettL

So they will be exported to USA right?This happened back in 2008 and 2015 with Gangsa,Isim and Madju from memory.Do you know we're the Sumatrans can be imported from?

BennettL

12. Kifaru Bwana

I can confirm what you already wrote re. Madju (now at Busch Gardens) and both Isim and Gangsa (now at LA Zoo).

Beyond that, it seems the 3 others are staying on.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2016
  13. BennettL

Can Sumatran orangs be imported from the UK.Currently UK are focussing on mainly Sumatrans but have some Bornean's still in the country.If not they can still be imported from Australian zoos.They can get melbournes Menyaru to be the male and a few females from Perth too.

BennettL

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They can import Sumatran Orangutans from anywhere potentially... just depends which program (EEP, SSP etc) and collections have enough surplus individuals at the time to form a new group

15. BennettL

Thanks Nisha.So this means they'll have a lot to chose from.

BennettL

16. ZooNZ

I'm going to break my zoo trip into four parts:
    1) Information on 'Wild Indonesia'
    2) Hippo Enclosure
    3) Brolga Enclosure
    4) Strangely Beautiful Australia

NOTE: The photos I've taken a not the best, sorry about that

Wild Indonesia
    While looking at the temporary brolga enclosure, I saw the Wild Indonesia posters covering the glass window in the empty orangutan enclosure that will become a takahe enclosure for the summer.

The poster does say that building will begin late 2017. It also gives a few hints on how the enclosures will be, like the tiger enclosure will have a underwater viewing area like in past zoo plans.

While I was at the lace monitor encounter, someone did ask if there were going to be any new species to Wild Indonesia, like Komodo dragons. The keeper replied with something on the lines of "We have planned what we will have in the new exhibit, but we can't tell you yet."

It is for certain that there will be orangutans (probably Sumatran as the Bornean ones are being exported), Sumatran tigers, Asian small clawed otters (BennettL, Asian small clawed otters can be found in South east asia, so I think that's why they are adding it to the exhibit) and siamang gibbons.

Other parts will be posted throughout the day. Sorry if I don't post the Strangely Beautiful Australia part today because I've got a dinner party to prepare :)

17. ZooNZ

zooboy28 likes this.
  18. BennettL

So otters are found through south east Asia .
    Here are a few details about the new wild Indonesia:

-The saimangs and orangutans will live on islands close together.So the saimangs will be just across the water from the orangs.Keepers are doing this to immerse them together.

-tigers have NZ's first underwater viewing of them too

BennettL

19. BennettL

Hippo's (not sure if common or Pygmy) will be imported again for second Africa construction starting in 2019.

BennettL

20. ZooNZ

Yeah I know that the plans did say they were going to have the orangutans and siamangs on islands, let's hope that still goes through