Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Auckland Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 5 Jan 2020.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rukiya is his grandmother. Though she's likely to be post reproductive by the time he's tall enough to breed. He's also related to Kabili (the youngest female) through his grandfather, Zabulu (Kabili's father)

2. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

Anyone know what happened to the waterbucks?

3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From the Auckland Zoo Map, it appears Ring Tailed Lemur are now in the former netted Sumatran Tiger enclosure: Zoo Map | Auckland Zoo

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They moved there in September 2019, after being off display for a while. There’s 0.5 Ring-tailed lemur (Bekily, Toliara, Esira, Evatra and Manakara). They will be exported to Australia soon.

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  5. Zoofan15

Female giraffes can (and have) bred well into their 20’s. While researching Auckland Zoo’s imports from Honolulu Zoo, I came across a female who gave birth at 29. They are able to put the females on contraception however (like they have done with Zahara at Wellington); so I’m predicting they will do so with Rukiya.

There’s a high chance Kabili is a freemartin (sterile), so that may not be an issue. I’ve written about this in more detail here (Post #112): giraffes in New Zealand

The giraffe I’m most excited to see breeding again is Kiraka. In giraffes, twins run strongly through some matrilineal lines. Kiraka previously gave birth to twins; and her own mother gave birth to two sets of twins!

Tafin, Zorro and Jambo like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you able to say where they are going?

7. Zoofan15

I don’t know sorry, the above info was just posted on Facebook in September 2019. It just said they were leaving for Australia in early 2020.

Ring-tailed lemur will be returning to Auckland Zoo in a few years time, their priority obviously being the South East Asian precinct. This will give them time to assess the success of walk through lemur exhibits, which seem to be on the rise within the region.

I believe there’s also discussion (with discussion being the operative word) about phasing out Black and white ruffed lemur in favour of Red ruffed lemur; so a decision either way would likely have been made by the time they’re ready to bring back Ring-tailed lemur.

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  8. Zorro

I have also heard this about phasing out the Black and white lemur and replace them with Reds this is pretty dumb what is there to gain?, IF someone wants Reds why not bring them in as well as keeping the B/W Lemurs, Its getting back to this "whim" effect of someone within the ZAA again

Tafin likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

I’d imagine it’s due to the Black-and-white ruffed lemur being one of two species in the genus Varecia, along with the Red ruffed lemur. If they co-habited, inbreeding would occur.

The shift seems to be to these walk through lemur exhibits, so they can have RT and BAWR; or RT and RR; but not all RT, BAWR and RR.

Tafin likes this.
  10. Zorro

Why co habited them if they are wanted why not keep them seperate?

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Once South East Asia is completed, the plan is to remodel the Zoos entry precinct (which is planned to include a walk-through Lemur exhibit). I guess Ring Tailed Lemurs are almost a certainty to be included, but it’s up to Auckland whether they want to import another Lemur species to go alongside them (BAWR or RR).

Kifaru Bwana, Zorro and StoppableSan like this.
  12. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they want a lemur walk-through, why go into RRL and not into one of the Eulemur species, which would work fine mixed with RTL and BWRL??? Lack of thinking...

13. Zoofan15

Sad news from Facebook regarding Auckland Zoo’s Brolga:

“We need to update you on an unfortunate turn of events.

At the end of last week our brolga mum was found dead, and despite supportive care by our staff, the chick was unable to pull through.

As you can imagine this is a difficult time for our bird team who are grappling with this sudden news.

We are waiting on test results to be able to confirm the cause of death and will update you all as soon as results are received.”

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

And so now the only female left in New Zealand is the one at Hamilton Zoo.

15. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

How many do Hamilton Zoo have?

16. Chlidonias

Hamilton have a male and a female; Brooklands has a male; Auckland now only has a male.

So three males and one female in the country, total.

And in case you're wondering, no the Hamilton birds have never bred.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  17. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Do you know how they're all related (if at all)?

18. Chlidonias

There was only one breeding pair - the pair at Auckland, of which the female has just died. All others in NZ zoos were bred from that pair (so they are all brothers and sisters).

Jambo, Tafin and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  19. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Very sad now this could be one of the species abandoning New Zealand collections in some years.

20. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Oh so the Hamilton pair are siblings. The Auckland pair must have been very old as they were clearly breeding well before 2014 to have produced the other bird at Auckland and the Brooklands male.

I'm not sure but I think birds can be brought from Australia (just not imported from outside the region)?