Join our zoo community

Audubon Zoo Audubon Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 14 Oct 2008.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone heard About an opening date for the zoos new elephant exhibit? I know the barn is complete but I haven't seen/heard anything as far as yard completion

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The rhino arrival is a good thing. I at least applaud it.

Perhaps the AZA program is finally warming to the fact that transferring non-breeding females (LCS has a number of younger females none of which seem to breed) out of their zoos by birth is better than allowing them to become reproductively senescent before long. In the wild female white rhino leave their natal groups on becoming mature, whilst females staying on in zoos will prevent them from breeding (as their mothers' surpress their hormonal functions and cycling).

I highly doubt though the current male Saba will breed with any given female white rhinos at all. Further female Yvonne is in her 24th year now ..., and allthough having given birth in 2003 (the calf Satchmo did not survive beyond 3+ years at Rochester).

It would be best for Audubon Zoo - New Orleans to try and introduce another male and for all good purposes a second competitor male.

5. Quakerhead

Quakerhead Active Member

The latest reports have the new elephant exhibit opening in early 2015. The old exhibit is currently being converted into a new Sumatran orangutan exhibit. No news on what is going into the old orang exhibit when the new one opens (also in early 2015).

6. Quakerhead

Quakerhead Active Member

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm expecting that it'll open in January given that the zoo is set to end tours of the new barn on the 20th of December. If any members are in the area, do stop in. Tickets are going for $65 for member and $75 for non-members.

10. ctfctf7

Video tour of the new elephant exhibit. Its a nice improvement to the previous exhibit but certainly nothing overwhelming or expansive so sustain a large herd or breed elephants by any means. Not sure why they invested in this project.

11. Quakerhead

Quakerhead Active Member

I'm surprised that he didn't mention the "Water Fight" feature at the bathing pool. The elephants are going to have some sort of device in which they can spray water on the children playing in a nearby wading pool while the children will be able to spray the elephants as well.
    Also, the latest that I've heard about the grand opening is that it's going to be in early 2016. They still have to build a new boardwalk and a viewing platform for the public.

12. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

Only an acre for a new exhibit?

13. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How do you know that they want to breed elephants or house a large herd?

14. ctfctf7

I don't, but why would you want to build an exhibit that you wouldn't be able to do just that if zoo's such as in Oregon and OKC did just that. The space is clearly not big enought for a multigenerational herd. Maybe 4 elephants max but they curdently only have 2 older females. It's also hard to get elephants and if they ever DO receive elephants they as well will likely be elderly. It's really sad to see that elephants could be a thing of the past for most zoos. In the end only the top notch facilities will still have elephants while I think most Smaller facilities will phase out because there just simply aren't enought elephants out there.

15. Quakerhead

Quakerhead Active Member

It's only about an acre because that's all of the available land that they had to work with. In order to get that acre, they had to demolish several other exhibits (lions, amur leopards, camels and other various hoofed stock and birds). The leopards were moved to a larger exhibit while the hoofed stock/camels were transferred to other zoos. There are plans for a new lion exhibit when the new Africa area is built down the road.

16. ctfctf7

With just that amount of space available though you'd figure the zoo would invest in using it for just the endangered leopards which sounds like and appropriate size of a breeding facility for the cats versus and small 1 acre elephant exhibit. Oregon like mentioned earlier likewise relocated multiple species and demolished exhibits such as the wolves, elk, and the favorite elephant museum. Doing so though provided more than an acre in space. I'm sure you could fit their I entire exhibit into Oregon's new elephant hall space.

17. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why build a giant exhibit to breed elephants when the option to acquire breeding herd of elephants won't happen for probably a few decades? I not sure if I can fully understand your reasoning for why Audubon should have built a larger exhibit. I suppose it may be because I don't go through life doing things because someone else as done them, and I'm not suggesting you do either. At least Audubon is committing resources to house elephants.

Their new exhibit will be valuable to the AZA elephant population because it will be necessary for some zoos to hold non-breeding animals. Breeding inevitably creates individuals that won't or shouldn't breed in captivity. It is absurd to think that every zoo must breed all the animals it has in their collection.

The greatest challenge to maintaining black rhinoceros, river hippopotamus, and tigers in US zoos has been the lack of space available to house surplus individuals. Without zoos like Audubon, the US elephant population could eventually be challenged in this way. Oregon Zoo has demonstrated that breeding elephants is not difficult if you provide the resources and opportunities needed. But they eventually stopped breeding elephants when it became difficult to house all of the elephants they created.

With all that said it is disheartening to see another zoo build a new exhibit without the capacity to breed in mind - this is the reason why American zoos have found themselves in their current situation. But it doesn't make sense to go all in when there may not be enough elephants to go around within the next ten years. The exhibit Audubon has created could easily house Indian Rhinoceros if the elephant shortage continues.

18. ctfctf7

I'm not saying the zoo should have built a larger exhibit for breeding I'm just reasoning that if the zoo wanted to make a commitment to housing elephants that I would suspect the size to be larger than 1 acre. I do agree that there should be facilities that house non breeding individuals too. Look at Dallas and San Diego for example. Both relatively new exhibits that are for elderly individuals in a large exhibits. Audubon won't be able to house more than 3 to 4 elephants max in the new space which is a disappointment considering that this is their "commitment". I do think the space is much better but sadly just not enough for the elephants.

19. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I don't see an issue with the size of the yard and new barn. Brand new all-around shows commitment on Audubon's part. They have good weather all year, new enrichment tree, a pool to "elephant" across. The pool also allows them to interact with guests through acrylic while still maintaining a barrier on the elephants side in the pool. It fits into their Asian Complex and is a nice feature. There's still another phase with elevated walkway and another exhibit for species tbd. Other Zoos have yards similar in size and house 3-4 Cows with no issue. I don't see the big deal. If you feel so strong about the size, then maybe you can give one to two million dollars out of your own pocket to meet your expectations and wants?

20. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member