Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes Permanent, I would be more than surprised if they did not want to breed them, lol

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m sorry, I worded it wrong. I meant, are they planning to bred them in the future, following the acquisition of a male.

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And we all thought the National Zoo had the best kept secret in the country this year with their Sri Lankan leopard import!

According to this site, the four females came from Taman Safari:

4 Gajah Dipinjamkan ke Australia,untuk Program Breeding

This was the facility that Australia Zoo successfully imported the first Sumatran tigers out of Indonesia in decades, back in 2007 (a notable achievement). They’ve clearly maintained the connections they formed!

The article makes reference to the elephants being sent as part of a breeding programme, and I doubt this is a throw away comment as the job advertisement made reference to this. Hopefully the import of a bull isn’t too far away.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Article Translation:

Four elephants from PT. Taman Safari Prigen - Pandaan, Pasuruan, East Java, named Megawati, Raflesia, Widya, and Christina were sent to Australia for a loan program.

"Before being sent to Australia, the elephants have been quarantined since November 2018 at the Animal Quarantine Installation (IKH) of PT. TSI," Musyaffak Fauzi, Head of Surabaya Quarantine said in a written statement received in Surabaya, Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
    He explained, during the quarantine period, the quarantine parties of the two countries of Indonesia and Australia conducted joint observations and examinations.
    "The examination was carried out to determine the presence of parasites both ectoparasites and endoparasites, tuberculosis, surra, and haemorrhagic septicemia," he said.

According to him, breeding loans or borrowing protected animals from a country are now common.
    "Borrowed means that for a certain period of time the animal is borrowed until it can reproduce in the borrowing country. The reproductive children will be handed over to their home country," he said.
    According to him, the loan was in accordance with the Regulation of the Minister of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia Number: p.83 / menhut-ii / 2014 concerning Borrowing of Protected Wildlife Overseas Types for Breeding Loans.
    "In accordance with the quarantine period of approximately 1 (one) year, the four elephants are healthy and safe to be passed so that health certificates can be issued and elephants can be flown to Australia through Juanda International Airport - Sidoarjo," he said.
    During the trip to Australia the elephants were accompanied by 2 keepers from Taman Safari Indonesia and the Australian Zoo Veterinarian and the operational manager of Australia Zoo.

5. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Terrible name choices in keeping with Australia Zoo policy! :rolleyes:

Tafin and Jambo like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Well this is incredible news, looks like I’ll be paying another visit to Australia Zoo sooner rather later! They received the elephants just in time for their 50th anniversary!
    Sumatran elephants are an interesting choice and will complement the zoo nicely (considering the Sumatran tigers are directly opposite the elephant enclosure).
    Video below for those interested:

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Rhinos follow soon logically

8. Zoofan15

They already have rhinos, unless you’re referring to Sumatran rhinos which will never happen.

Jambo likes this.
  9. RafikiKnowsTheWay

RafikiKnowsTheWay Member

It's so great to see them finally revealed & I'm in agreeance regarding the choice of names too toothlessjaws! lol

10. Zoofan15

Considering this is Australia Zoo, those names are the best we could hope for.

Also bear in mind names sound differently to other cultures. Megawati may sound like a very cheap lightbulb, but it actually means ‘cloud goddess’ and was the name of a former Indonesian president.

StoppableSan, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  11. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

How come Australia Zoo has imported four elephants with relative ease, and Auckland Zoo can't even import one? Is Indonesia that much easier to deal with?

If so, maybe Auckland should go this route since they are planning to do AI (I.e. having different sub species of Asian Elephant isn't an issue).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. RafikiKnowsTheWay

RafikiKnowsTheWay Member

I’m purely speculating here in response to a previous comment about the future breeding plans and the requirement for a sumatran bull. After rumours of both Melbourne & Taronga deciding to retain their excess bulls instead of parting with them to Sydney Zoo, SZ may now be looking to join forces with AZ and house a Sumatran bull?? The head of Ungulates at SZ has previously worked with/under the directors of the Africa/Elephant program at AZ so there’s definitely history there... there are also rumours SZ plans to import a lone female from Europe (obviously, unconfirmed) so don’t see how or why that’s even a viable option...

In regards to Auckland not being able to import, I have no idea. Maybe funding?

Time will tell...

13. toothlessjaws

Makes sense. The animals are loaned, not owned by Australia Zoo.
    If correct this would indicate that they will not be part of the Australasian breeding program and that a sumatran bull (or semen) is expected to be imported.

Thats good in a way since, being Sumatran elephants it would be a shame to hybridise them with the purebred mainland subspecies housed at Perth, Melbourne and Taronga.

14. toothlessjaws

If you look at Aucklands actions regarding elephants over the last 15 or so years it does nothing but indicate to me they have no real desire to play a role in the elephant breeding program. They have exactly what they wanted. 2 free-contact females.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are the B. Indonesia names for the elephants no harm in that!

Have not yet read any references to eventual import of male Sumatran nor the ages of those imported BTW in Indonesian papers.

16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps the elephants will be highlighted episode in a possibly season 3 of “Crikey! It’s the Irwin’s.”

In other news, during the 50th anniversary the family plans on a new master plan after finishing the 10 year left behind by the late Steve Irwin.

17. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Elephant Enthusiast and Jambo like this.
  18. toothlessjaws

I'm very interested to work out what the plan here is. The Indonesian press article implied the animals were on loan and that offspring would remain Indonesia's. But unlike pandas its pretty unethical to split up elephant herds and seperate females, especially daughters and mothers.

And why wouldn't you import a young male now? have they no bull facilities built? why not? they've had years and years to do so. IAI with imported sumatran semen? I wanna know what the plan here is... (but I doubt the Irwins will answer).

For everything I dislike about their approach, I'll give Australia Zoo this: I haven't even been there but I bet its overwhelming the best elephant exhibit in the country. The Irwins might short on taste but never on providing their animals space. And elephants need space....

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think the elephant enclosure is the same one they previously kept elephants in. After the last elephant left the enclosure has been used by a camel company, and their camels moved out shortly before the elephants arrived in the country.

Jambo likes this.
  20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For everything I dislike about their approach, I'll give Australia Zoo this: I haven't even been there but I bet its overwhelming the best elephant exhibit in the country. The Irwins might short on taste but never on providing their animals space. And elephants need space....[/QUOTE]

You can use Google maps to see the off exhibit barn and 2 yards including the massive bush area they have just east of the off exhibit white rhino yards you can see for yourself how large it is ( the footage in the video a few posts above was taken in the middle of this bush paddock). Also one can see the new elephant barn has 3 doors, also 3 small dams just south of the yards! Then there is the old on show area which housed the former elephants!

StoppableSan, Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.