Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a video from Crikey! it's the Irwins, in an episode that contains information of the crocodile and alligator areas being renovated for the Zoo's 50th anniversary.

Tafin, Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Two random bits of news.
    -Whilst this doesn't relate directly to the zoo I think this is a noteworthy achievement. The Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital has welcomed its 90 000th patient - a young platypus called Ollie who will be released back into the wild soon. The hospital first opened in 2004 and is open 24 hours, seven days a week.
    Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital treats 90,000th patient - Australasian Leisure Management
    -Australia Zoo is now offering elephant encounters for their visitors. The encounter costs $139 per person.
    Things To Do On The Sunshine Coast

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
    Chlidonias likes this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can well understand that Australia zoo wanting to do the Elephant encounters it would of cost them a massive amount of money to import the four into the country. I would of thought AZ would of had Platypus in its collection with the large amount of overseas tourists visiting the place!

Tafin likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia Zoo’s Wildlife Hospital has received a $1 million donation from Seth MacFarlane.

The donation will enable them to build an intensive care ward for Koala, which will be named after him.

There’s an artist’s conception of the new building here: Seth MacFarlane donates $1 million to Irwin’s Australia Zoo

5. WhistlingKite24

Australia Zoo’s Wildlife Hospital has also announced the construction of new flying fox rehabilitation wards. This will allow the hospital to house hundreds of flying foxes.
    Security Check
    From the Facebook post:
    Thanks to the support of Wildlife Warriors around the world, work is well underway on our new flying fox rehabilitation wards! In September of last year, flying fox admissions increased by 750% due to severe drought conditions, then the devastating bushfires saw hundreds of the bats orphaned and being brought to the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital for treatment. These new facilities will allow us to house hundreds of flying foxes here at the hospital!

6. WhistlingKite24

Before I actually mention any updates from today’s visit, I recently contacted the zoo in regards to their Andean Condor, Chief. He is unfortunately no longer at the zoo. The email I received is below:

Yes Chief is very much alive and well – he has moved to a facility interstate to assist with a breeding program into the future and to be near other condor. We hope to have the species back here one day.

A few notes and observation from my visit to Australia Zoo today:

-The newly-renovated Crocodile Environmental Park is progressing well and there was a lot of construction work during my visit. Three of the enclosures have now been opened to the public; two for their large saltwater crocodiles (Weipa and Mossman) and one for freshwater crocodiles. These crocodile enclosures are now fenced with a rather attractive raised boardwalk. Also, the majority of the mature eucalyptus and pandanus trees were retained which was good to see. These crocodile enclosures used to have a standard double-barrier chain link fence. The freshwater turtle enclosure and additional crocodilian exhibits were still under-construction and are currently fenced off from the public. I’m looking forward to see how the other enclosures turn out; they are off to a good start.

-I don’t have any updates on the Sumatran elephants. All I can say is that the elephant enclosure looks exactly the same as previous visits and will be a spacious exhibit for the elephants. Nearby, there were two Sumatran tigers on display. They were separated into two enclosures (usually the entire on-display area is opened up as one large enclosure).

-I managed to see two Black-footed Rock Wallabies in the Roo Heaven walkthrough enclosure. If anyone ever visits the zoo and wants to see the rock wallabies, I recommend you head to their enclosure early in the morning as they are fed around nine and come down from the top of the large rock mound briefly.

-The wetlands area of the zoo was looking particularly lush after all the recent rain. All four brolgas were trumpeting on my visit. What a sound! :) On the topic of birds, the wild birdlife was abundant in certain areas of the zoo. Highlights included a male Golden Whistler on the lemur island and a Red-backed Fairy Wren found near the rhinos!

For more photos of the animals and their enclosures see here:
    Australia Zoo - ZooChat

Jambo, TinoPup, Zoofan15 and 7 others like this.
  7. Zoofan15

I’m actually pleased that someone has seen sense and he’s going to be paired with one of the females from Taronga Zoo - Leslie (2004) or Konira (2011). As the only reproductive age male in the region, he’s too important not to have in a breeding pair (even if this means further inbreeding).

The term ‘be near other condor’ implies he’s been sent to a facility with more than one condor; so this suggests he’s been sent to either Taronga Zoo (who hold 0.2 reproductive aged birds) or Feathered Friends (who hold 1.1 retired aged birds). My money is on Feathered Friends, as Taronga doesn’t seem interested in breeding this species anymore (let’s not forget how they exported Zuleta to the USA). If this is the case, Feathered Friends will soon be receiving (if they haven’t already) one of his two sisters from Taronga Zoo.

Whatever facility he’s at now, I hope first and foremost that he breeds; and secondly, that they change his name back to Inti. The name of the ancient Incan sun god is way better than Chief. Australia Zoo excel in many areas, but naming animals is clearly not one of them.

StoppableSan, Jambo, Tafin and 3 others like this.
  8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

What you say is entirely plausible, but based on what the information you have provided wouldn't it be possible to draw the opposite conclusion? If Taronga had 0.3 "reproductive aged" females could it not be possible that they decided there is no harm is exporting one for breeding purposes overseas, which is good for conservation, while still leaving them one female plus a backup female/bird for the bird show? could it not be that Taronga only moved on its older pair in favour of forming a younger pair to recommence breeding? Perhaps Chief was just on loan to Australia Zoo. Perhaps Taronga called him back?

9. Zoofan15

Resting the fate of a breeding programme on two females is risky. Breeding this species is not always straightforward, especially with those that have been handraised (like Kondira). If one female died; and the other was unable to produce chicks for whatever reason, that'd be it for this species. If one female died; and the other was able to breed, the options for breeding are more limited (sibling to sibling or son to mother) versus pairing a male offspring with their aunt.

I think it's common sense to keep all the individuals we have, irregardless if we have a need for them right here and now. Nobody knows what the future holds.

That's possible, though the pairing of Inti/Chief with either female was possible years ago (Andean condors have attained maturity by age six). The older pair (Bruce and Connie) were retired to Feathered Friends several years ago; so there was more than enough time for this move to have been arranged.

10. WhistlingKite24

Australia Zoo has announced that they have welcomed the births of five Ring-tailed Lemurs. I believe they were all born last year but the zoo is only just announcing their arrival now. They have been named Lilo, Clementine, Angelo, Lulu and Deb. In true Australia Zoo fashion they have really outdone themselves with the names. :rolleyes:
    Australia Zoo

Jambo, Zoofan15, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  11. Zorro

Good for them nice to hear. I would of hoped they would have tried to breed the Black and white Ruffed lemurs they have perhaps importing some females if possible!

Zoofan15 likes this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

On a previous visit, I managed to ask a keeper what the long-term plan was with their ruffed lemurs. They hope to breed them if the opportunity arises but it’s currently not a priority.

Zorro likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

An open letter to Bindi and Chandler (aka Mr Bindi):

Congratulations on your recent wedding. We wish you both many happy years together.

On behalf of the ZooChat community, we’d like to give you a wedding gift that’s worth it’s weight in gold...when this COVID-19 saga is over, we will descend on your zoo and give every animal within it a decent name. The following species have been identified as priorities: elephants, rhinos, giraffes, tigers, cheetahs, lemurs and otter.

We’ve had a whip around and raised enough inspiration to cover all the mammals. If there’s time, we’ll get to the reptiles and birds; but as you know, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Please advise the staff to receive this gift with gratitude and aplomb. It is abundantly clear that 100% of their focus is on caring for the animals and running the zoo; as clearly none of it has been wasted on naming those that dwell within it.

14. Zorro

They did have a pair before which as far as I can tell never bred I believe the male was imported from France. I just hope they dont leave it to long before they do!

15. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know which species of rattlesnake is held at Australia zoo?

16. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

According to their website, Eastern diamondback.

Goura likes this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

Australia Zoo has briefly announced that one of their Giraffes is pregnant and is due in late June. The unborn calf has already been given a name...wait for it.... Tallbert. :rolleyes:
    Australia Zoo

18. Zoofan15

Haha I remember guessing it from this article: Bindi Irwin slams paparazzi for ruining her her 'dream' wedding to Chandler Powell | Daily Mail Online

You know you belong on ZooChat when the first thing you notice in a wedding photo is that the giraffe in the background is heavily pregnant.

I think the giraffe calf should be named Candle for two reasons:

1) Chandler means ‘candlemaker’ and they’re supposed to be making this lad feel part of the family (Bindi ain’t even taking his name)

2) Their choices of names are starting to get on my wick (#bad#candle#pun)

Jambo, Tafin, Riley and 3 others like this.
  19. Zorro

Hats off to Australia zoos Giraffe breeding program they have done so well with them!

Last edited: 7 Jun 2020
  20. WhistlingKite24

If the birth goes to plan then it should be Australia Zoo's eleventh successful Giraffe calf. They have all been sired by one male Forrest (2007). @Zoofan15 also brought to my attention that one of their females, Rosie most likely had either a stillbirth or non surviving calf in 2015. The pregnancy was announced but no birth was ever mentioned afterwards:
    Australia Zoo's Rosie the giraffe to become mother again

Skye- F: born October 2013 at Australia Zoo (Forrest x Rosie)
    Tulip- F: born July 2014 at Australia Zoo; moved to Darling Downs Zoo in December 2016 (Forrest x Sally)
    Lily- F: born August 2014 at Australia Zoo; moved to Darling Downs Zoo in December 2016 (Forrest x Penny)
    Ellie- F: born May 2016 at Australia Zoo (Forrest x Sally)
    Gigi- F: born November 2016 at Australia Zoo (Forrest x Penny)
    Scarlett- F: born March 2017 at Australia Zoo; moved to Monarto in 2018 (Forrest x Rosie)
    Sunny- M: born December 2017 at Australia Zoo; moved to Wellington Zoo in May 2019 (Forrest x Sally)
    Sophie- F: born August 2018 at Australia Zoo (Forrest x Rosie)
    Billy- M: born September 2018 at Australia Zoo; moved to Auckland Zoo in February 2020 (Forrest x Penny)
    Noodle- M: born July 2019 at Australia Zoo (Forrest x Sally)
    Tallbert - due late June 2020 (Forrest x ?)

qthemusic, Jambo, Tafin and 3 others like this.