Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Australia Zoo news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 30 Nov 2012.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I haven’t seen it, I think it’s on Animal Planet, which is paid TV in Australia.

2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

"Cricky! It's the Irwins!" on Animal Planet. Cast includes Bindi's boyfriend.

TinoPup, Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve seen a few episodes of show. It’s airing in the United States on Animal Planet and Discovery Channel and as of this writing is now six episodes in its Series. My opinion of the show is this: eh. It contains a lot on what the typical zoo television show should contain(pregnancy, deaths, transfers, animal facts, animal maintenance etc), however a lot of it is really focused on the Irwin’s themselves, which is something that I find annoying little time is spent on the actual keepers who work there. Also while we’re mentioning Steve on the thread, a lot of what is shown is also just memories and flashbacks from his time at the zoo, and how his kids want to be just like him and “expand” the zoo for the future(a couple of animals shown in the series are ones that were shown in his old shows like Croc Diaries too).

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which one is her boyfriend? I've only watched through episode 4, but I have the next 3 recorded. From the show, I like Terri, but she says a lot of things that I'm not sure if it's for the tv or if she really doesn't know, which would be embarrassing (like covering an animal's eyes to calm it down, which was brought up multiple times in episode 4 with the sea turtles). The Steve clips tend to be odd ones and don't seem to flow well, IMO. I like Robert, he seems to genuinely like the animals, but Bindi comes across as very fake and forced. A lot of the show has focused on native wildlife, which is why I was surprised to hear they don't have several major species, or many species at all really (but apparently a metric ton of koalas?!)

AmbikaFan, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Her boyfriend is a guy called Chandler who also works at the zoo. ;)

6. Jambo

7. WhistlingKite24

I was eagerly waiting for this news! Certainly a step in the right direction.
    The female calf has been named ‘Carrie’ and her mother is Inyeti (from TWPZ and was born in 2005). I believe this is Inyeti’s second calf at the zoo (the first being ‘Mango’ - a female born in 2013).
    This must be Australia Zoo’s fifth white rhino calf.:)

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
    Zoofan15, Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

I have just looked over my notes and it is indeed Australia Zoo’s fifth rhino calf;
    Savannah (12/4/2011)- female
    Mango (7/11/2013) - female
    Winston (4/5/2013) - male
    Humprey (11/10/2015) - male
    Carrie (4/12/2018) - female

Caballe (1994) is mother to Savannah, Winston and Humprey.
    Inyeti (2005) is mother to Mango and Carrie.

9. Jambo

Great notes! :D

Its great that Inyeti has breed again. Cabelle gave birth to all her calves with 2 year gaps. It has been 3 years since her last birth so i’m guessing she should be delivering a fourth soon.

10. WhistlingKite24

Thank you I like to keep up to date with zoo births (especially in my area).
    I agree I think Caballe should be delivering soon. I’m glad Australia Zoo maintains good breeding records with their rhino.

11. Jambo

Indeed they have had a great breeding record with their rhino’s recently. But it’s not only the rhino; they have had a great breeding record with their giraffe too recently.

12. WhistlingKite24

The giraffes have had an excellent breeding record. I have begun unravelling the giraffe births- currently sitting around nine (can’t believe all their offspring is from only three females!)

13. Jambo

The females do breed quite often. It’s great for the breeding program. :)

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  14. WhistlingKite24

I’m also glad that they have recieved an additional female, ‘Kebibi’ from the National Zoo in March to continue their successful breeding results.

Zoofan15 and Jambo like this.
  15. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cabelle must be the most successful breeding female White rhinoceros in Australasia. If she gives birth to her fourth calf at Australia Zoo, then that will be her eighth calf:

Cabelle (1995):

Birth at Hamilton Zoo:

1) Inkosi (2002) M
    2) Mtoto (2004) M
    3) Unnamed (2005) M
    4) Imani (2007) F

After transfer to Australia Zoo:

5) Savannah (2011) F
    6) Winston (2013) M
    7) Humphrey (2015) M

Last edited: 19 Dec 2018
    Hipporex, Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

Wow I didn’t know she had four calfs at Hamilton.
    Any idea who Savannah’s father is? Caballe came to Australia Zoo already pregnant.

17. Zoofan15

Savannah's father is Kruger (1989), Savannah is his third calf.

Cabelle's first four calves were sired by Zambezi (1991).

Jambo, Zorro and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Hamilton Zoo has actually done really well with breeding White rhino (the most successful facility in NZ). They started with 1.2, all wild born. One of the females, Cabelle (1995), produced four calves with the bull, Zambezi (1991); while the other female, Moesha (1994) never fell pregnant.
    There were two theories why: 1) Zambezi was a small male and Moesha did not consider him impressive enough to sire her calves or 2) Moesha's reproductive cycle was supressed by the presence of another female (Cabelle). Either way, the arrival of a new bull (Zambezi was swapped with Kruger at Auckland Zoo), resulted in Moesha and another female imported 2004, Kito (2000), falling pregnant. They gave birth in 2009 and 2010 respectively. Moesha went on to have one more calf in 2012 and Kito has since given birth to a stillborn calf in 2013 and a male calf in 2016.

19. WhistlingKite24

Thanks for the information @Zoofan15. A wealth of information as always.:)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

No problem @WhistlingKite24. There's still so much to learn about rhino reproduction, but one theory that's gathered support in recent years is that having at least one other bull present at a facility stimulates the breeding bull to mate with the cows (competition theory).

It's also noted that first generation cows (the offspring of founders) are less successful in reproducing than their wild born mothers. For example, several wild born females imported by the San Diego Zoo produced several calves each (one produced 15 offspring) in their life time, but many of their daughters have either never bred or only produced one or two calves. Some have theorised this has been influenced by the nutrition of the mothers during pregnancy being different to what it would be in the wild; while others believe it is the oesterous suppression theory. Either way, I'm watching the success of the females in our region with interest. Tamu (born 2002 at Perth Zoo) is a first generation female and has been the most successful breeding female at Orana Park (producing three offspring to date, including her first at the age of 7 years). Neither of Cabelle's daughters, Imani (2007) and Savannah (2011) have bred yet. In contrast, Cabelle had produced her first calf by Savannah's age and was expecting her fourth calf by Imani's age.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.