Join our zoo community

Australian (and NZ) Great Ape News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marmolady, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exactly for the reasons that there are literally hundreds of chimpanzees of known origins languishing in sanctuaries is why zoos should step in and be the evidence-based solution for properly managing ex situ chimp populations to subspecies level.

The current policy in Australasia breeding from known hybrids is as far removed from that as possible, is in my view untenable and cannot be supported from a serious scientific perspective. Hence, it should not continue the way it does in light of all the evidence and for the good purposes of sound animal collection management and husbandry.

I also feel that the ex situ conservation breeding community should come together with the in situ science community. No point in bickering between zoo and wildlife biologists. The latter only fuels the antis and animal welfare zealots (who do not have any vision beyond individual chimps and seriously lack a wider perspective on ever decreasing wild populations and the questions at hand: how do we effectively conserve individual chimp populations in the wild, ensure the integrity of these and their genetics and assist in moving chimp management in situ and ex situ to an all global level.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Melbourne Zoo's Orangutans

In 1990, Melbourne Zoo bred the last hybrid orangutan in the region - a female named Gabby. Her sire was a purebred Sumatran male named Santan; her mother was a hybrid named Kiani, one half of Melbourne Zoo's famous orangutan twins (formerly named Bono and Suma). I'm guessing Kiani's fame was a contributing reason to why she was allowed to breed (once), before the region adopted a ban on the production of hybrid orangutans.

I was curious to see what other orangutans the zoo around the time Gabby was born and dug up some interesting finds:

Melbourne Zoo had a purebred Bornean female named Girlie. She was born in the wild in 1960; and lived at Melbourne Zoo from 1961 until her death in 1991. It's baffling why she was never sent to Auckland Zoo to breed with their Bornean colony (founded 1983-1984); or Singapore Zoo, as the Bornean female at Perth Zoo was. I note she never bred at Melbourne Zoo, so perhaps she was infertile and an export would have been pointless?

Maimunah, a purebred Sumatran female, arrived from Zurich Zoo as a six year old in 1992; and didn't breed for 11 years - eventually producing offspring in 2003 and 2010. The same year she arrived; Melbourne Zoo imported a 10 year old male Sumatran orangutan from Jersey Zoo and bizarrely, he returned after three months. He was a relative of Maimunah (maternal uncle); so perhaps he was imported, not knowing that. Either way, his full brother (Kluet), was later sent to Taronga Zoo in 2003.

With two aging hybrids; and a male Sumatran orangutan, it will be interesting to see what direction Melbourne Zoo head in over the next few decades

Zorro, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This was Mokko Mokko. He was found to have undeveloped/absent testicles I think- possibly the result of a pre-birth Xray- anyway that's the reason he was returned and Jersey then sent him to Monde Sauvage Park in Belgium where the SB lists him as still being alive. He didn't develop his secondary male characteristics like normal males.

I may have seen 'Girlie' on my first Melbourne visit. I certainly remember Santan, Maimunah and the young twins. At that time Santan had a very short bare coat from living in those concrete grottoes.

So the two hybrids still at Melbourne are the mother/daughter Kiani and Gabby?

Last edited: 16 Dec 2020
    marmolady, Jambo, Tafin and 1 other person like this.
  4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Yes I’m curious myself. Since the sumatran pair and infant left for Sydney, one of the exhibits has remained empty with only very minor works being made from what I can see (welding etc). The young male sumatran (who is starting to look mature) is actually living with the hybrid females and the siamangs have not moved back to this area as I suspected they might.

I think its entirely possible that some or all of Melbournes orangs are just on loan to Sydney. Or that some major shuffling is planned. I find it very unlikely recent movement at Melbourne suggests a loss of interest in breeding the apes, instead I think its more likely about making room for the next generation.

Tafin likes this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume an unrelated Sumatran female will join him at some point.

6. Zoofan15

Thank you for that insight @Pertinax. I was concerned to read Indra (1980) at Auckland Zoo had undergone an X-ray while pregnant with her son, Isim, in 1994. Curiously, he and his mate at the Los Angeles Zoo have failed to produce any offspring in the three years the female has been off contraception; though since Isim developed the second sexual characteristics of a male orangutan, there’s no reason to suspect the same effects occurred. His mate had been on contraception for over a decade, so the delays likely lie with her.
    I don’t believe the orangutans are on loan to Sydney Zoo as Zoos Victoria would have mentioned it as a loan. The female is 34 years old; hasn’t bred in a decade; and comes from a well represented line, so I’d be surprised if they bred her again. The daughter of the breeding pair would require the import/transfer of an unrelated male if she was to breed.

I agree Melbourne Zoo will continue to hold orangutans long term. They fit multiple criteria including being critically endangered, ambassadors for a conservation campaign (palm oil) and are engaging to visitors. I had wondered if they’d follow Auckland Zoo’s lead and switch to Borneans; but since Auckland already has 1.1 Borneans and Melbourne doesn’t - it makes more sense to stick with Sumatrans.

Tafin likes this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The chimp baby boom continues for the region. Samantha the chimpanzee at Rockhampton Zoo is pregnant! Fingers crossed the baby (due April 2021) survives this time around.

Tafin, marmolady, Jambo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Awesome news! Sanda's infant (at Hamilton Zoo) and this infant will hopefully be the ninth and tenth surviving infants born in the region since 2016.

The previous infants were:

0.1 Chiku (2016) - Hamilton Zoo
    0.1 Cebele (2017) - Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Capri (2018) - Rockhampton Zoo
    0.1 Hope (2019) - Monarto Zoo
    0.1 Safiri (2019) - Taronga Zoo
    0.1 Zola (2019) - Monarto Zoo
    1.0 Gandali (2020) - Rockhampton Zoo
    0.1 Niambi (2020) Taronga Zoo

Statistically speaking, the chances of an infant surviving to mothers aged over 35 (Samantha turned 37 last month) are low; however the survival rate of second or subsequent infants is higher than first born infants, so hopefully luck will be on Samantha's side this time. Especially considering Samantha is the only surviving member of her family line.

Tafin and marmolady like this.
  9. toothlessjaws

You'd think so. Covid might have a lot to do with why this hasn't yet happened.

Jambo and marmolady like this.
  10. toothlessjaws

True, but it's not at all unusual for the state zoos to loan animals to private zoos indefinitely. The lar gibbons at Halls Gap for example, were still listed on Melbourne's animal census as a loan for decades after they left the zoo (not sure if they're still alive). I do think its very likely that the orangs still (and always will) belong to Melbourne, since Sydney is a private zoo and retaining ownership on paper resolves any sticky situations if care becomes compromised at a private facility. But the point I was trying to make was just that I wouldn't be surprised if we see some movement.

If I was running Melbourne, I'd already be considering what species might inhabit the former elephant exhibits when they leave for Werribee. And more room for orang-utans would be very, very high on the list of contenders. And that would likely require some renovations to the western enclosure to link it with the neighbouring elephant paddock. And that would require moving out half of the orangs for a while so they can accommodate that work. And perhaps Sydney looking for orangs for display was a convenient opportunity to house them until thats finished. After which one, two or more might return to Melbourne and Sydney are taking in some other animals.

This is just total hypothesising on my part of course. But you never know. We often just surprised here!

Tafin, Jambo, Zoofan15 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Zoofan15

I'd love to see Melbourne follow in the direction of Auckland Zoo and create an aerial trail for the orangutans and gibbons. This would allow them to hold a larger group and strengthen their commitment to this species. The use of high ropes would be an excellent way to maximise use of what is already a limited footprint within a city zoo.

toothlessjaws, Tafin and marmolady like this.
  12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is interesting that Sydney Zoo was given three Orangutans; one of which could contribute to the regional breeding program in the future. I think it is likely that they are on some sort of loan, because of the space issues Melbourne are currently experiencing. The renovation of the Netted enclosure has been going on for about a year now, and it appears they are attempting to add some more vegetation to the enclosure; something that the enclosure needs. The Island opposite the current Orangutan exhibits (which was recently cleared), could be an option for a third Orangutan enclosure, but if they do have plans to use the current Elephant Area for them when the Elephants depart, they wouldn’t need to do this.

An Elephant Keeper told me that management has already decided what will ‘replace’ the Elephants, but he did not know exactly what. The whole Elephant trail could be renovated to be a so-called ‘Primates of Asia’ trail featuring Orangutan, Saimang and White Cheeked Gibbon. That’s just my thoughts anyway.

13. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Needs more langurs and macaques... Would be nice if MZ could return to the days when they had an impressive primate collection.

Tafin and Zorro like this.
  14. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree but with the resent trend of phasing out and down sizing the range of species held unlikely!

tetrapod likes this.
  15. Zoofan15

Tafin, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  16. toothlessjaws

I think regardless of if Melbourne loaned its orangs or not to Sydney Zoo, it would be fair to expect that Sydney Zoo have joined the regional breeding program, as I'm sure they have for all their animals. The younger female, in time, will undoubtably be paired up in Australia or overseas.

Zorro likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

Yes, it's my understanding that Sydney Zoo have received the majority of their animals on 'loan' re. they're still part of the breeding programme; versus 'donation' where an animal is given with no expectation of it being recalled.

The African lion brothers are another example of a loan; as is the male Sumatran tiger - though given his age (17 years) and representation (five offspring), he has no longer has any practical application to the breeding programme.

As I understand it, the chimpanzees were classed as a donation as they didn't come from an accredited zoo under the umbrella of any breeding programme. Whether they'll be maintained as Sydney Zoo's own collection; or become amalgamated with the regional population under the established breeding programme for this species remains to be seen. With a decent sized troop, Sydney Zoo would have little incentive to enter into chimpanzee exchanges for the foreseeable.

Jambo and Zorro like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A Chimpanzee has been born to female Sanda at Hamilton Zoo! Mother and infant are happy and healthy. The article also reveals that the chimpanzees have been introduced into their new outdoor enclosure.

Full article: Hamilton Zoo welcomes baby chimp

marmolady, Jambo, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A couple of points of clarification.

1. Breeding programs, When a species is in a managed ZAA program, as is the case with both species of orangutan, they are considered to belong to the program, not the zoo. Thus they can be moved between zoos to meet the needs of the program, This is done with some sensitivity, ie animals that are important to a zoo are not moved against the zoo's wishes. This works to the extent that in the few cases I am aware of where a ZAA member zoo has closed down program animals have been moved to other zoos in the program while other animals have been sold as assets of the zoo. A list of ZAA managed programs can be found here:

Species Programs

2. More generally, animals that are moved between most zoos, and certainly all ZAA zoos, are done under "free exchange", that is no money changes hands, nor is there an expectation of directly receiving animals in return. Costs of the move however are born by the receiving zoo.

3. Macaques. Because of concerns about health risks to staff, Government zoos have phased out all macaque species and it seems very unlikely they will go back into them.

Hope that helps.

Jambo likes this.
  20. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its fairly remarkable just how favorable the gender ratio is, with so many females!