Join our zoo community

Australian (and NZ) Great Ape News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marmolady, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are these chimpanzees coming from overseas? Do you know what troop size/capacity they're aiming for?

Sounds like a great development for Sydney/Australia, with the potential/goal of supporting many of Australasia breeding programmes.

Tafin likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

I guess the interesting thing about chimpanzee is, if you're a male - the family you have (siblings, mother etc.) is what you have. If you're a female - your family can expand by producing offspring (ideally males). Since paternity is usually an unknown, father son alliances are rare within a community. The alliance between Boyd/Gombe is more likely an affiliation from being from the same troop, similar to the relationship between Shikamoo and Furahi etc.

Tafin likes this.
  3. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the chimpanzees are coming from overseas, and the new zoo has apparently also found sources for bringing in gorillas and orangutans as well. I'm extremely curious about their ape plans- I'm not sure how many chimps are being over, but I would guess they'd be aiming for a group of around fifteen, as seems to be the round about goal for holders in the region.

I definitely think that Boyd and Gombe's partnership is little to do with their status as father and son, more that they had many years of affiliation prior to being introduced to Tsotsi and Sandali.

Tafin likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm taking everything coming out of the Sydney Zoo with a grain of salt. When they have species X or Y or Z on site then I will believe it. Until then it is just plans and talk.

5. marmolady

Yes, definitely very early stages. It will be exciting, however, to see how the new zoo develops.

6. Zoofan15

Sounds like a decent sized group. It'll be interesting to see if they follow the European convention of holding a particular sub species, or go for holding hybrids like the other zoos in Australasia. I'm assuming this is the more likely scenario, and I'm sure there will be plenty of hybrids in Europe etc. they'd be keen to offload. If they aim to hold a group of 15, it'd be nice if they could import 3-4 females, and 1-2 males and then let them breed to make it up to the desired number. Similar to the intentions of Monarto Zoo.

It sounds like Boyd and Gombe have a similar relatioship to Lubutu and Samaki at Taronga Zoo. Samaki often supports Lubutu in conflicts, unless it's against his family.

Of course, another possibility is to source chimpanzee from Taronga Zoo for the new Sydney Zoo. Once the introductions of the three new females are completed, they will have an idea of what is or isn't working as a group. Whether it's the export of conflict causing males, or the export of females not desired for breeding eg. Lani and Sembe or Koko/Kamili.

Tafin likes this.
  7. marmolady

In celebration of World Orangutan Day, and to raise funds for the care of orangutans at Adelaide Zoo, a downloadable single has been released featuring the musical talents of Kluet: Give me a Klue - Zoos SA

Seems a fun, quirky idea for raising money!

8. marmolady

Is anyone aware of who the fathers are of the three youngest chimpanzees at Wellington Zoo? It was announced that Sam fathered Beni, but I can't find any information for Malika, Bakari and Kitwe.

Perhaps we should add full lists to this thread of all individuals in the region (and do the same for gorillas and orangutans), including their parentage and origin. I'll put in the info for the great apes at Zoos SA zoos here to start, as those are the ones I know best.

ADELAIDE ZOO
    Sumatran orangutans

Male:
    Kluet- born 18/07/1995 at Jersey Zoo, Sire: Gambar, Dam: Gina

Female:
    Puspa- born 01/01/1975 at Perth Zoo, Sire: Atjeh, Dam: Puan
    Karta- born 22/07/1982 at San Diego Zoo, Sire: Otis, Dam: Jane

MONARTO ZOO
    Chimpanzees

Male:
    Boyd- born 29/10/1978 at Wellington Zoo, Sire: Tom, Dam: Bebe
    Tsotsi- born 25/06/1989 at Adelaide Zoo, Sire: Peter, Dam: Fimi
    Gombe- born 04/02/1993 at Wellington Zoo, Sire: Boyd, Dam: Jody
    Sandali- born 26/02/1996 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Snowy, Dam: Sacha
    Enzi- born 19/10/2015 at Monarto Zoo, Sire: Sandali, Dam: Zombi

Female:
    Zombi- born 15/03/1993 at Burgers Zoo, Sire: Ayo, Dam: Zola
    Galatea- born 24/02/1999 at Burgers Zoo, Sire: Fons, Dam: Gaby
    Zuri- born 21/08/2012 at Monarto Zoo, Sire: Sandali, Dam: Zombi

Tafin likes this.
  9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It certainly does. Well done to the innovative staff :)

10. Zoofan15

Sam is confirmed as the father of Beni (2007) and Malika (2010). He is also assumed to be the father of Bakari (2012) and Kitwe (2014), but this has not been confirmed yet.

The dominant male, Marty, had a vasectomy in 2007, as did Boyd and Gombe, which was followed by their export in 2009. This has greatly helped Sam's cause, as his only competition for paternity was the adolescent males, Temba (1994) and Alexis (1998). Following the recent deaths of Sam and Temba, Alexis is the only adult male in the troop able to breed, though the adolscent Beni would now be of reproductive age and capable of fathering offspring.

Tafin likes this.
  11. marmolady

Thanks for that! I'll hope that Alexis fathered one of the younger two; it would be very sad for Bessie's family to end with Cara and Alexis. The untimely deaths of Chiki, Chimbuka and Chima were so unfortunate.

Tafin likes this.
  12. Zoofan15

No worries. I think it's great idea btw to have a list of all the great apes in one place. You've probably seen my threads in the Taronga Zoo Chimpanzee Troop thread, which lists all the maternal lines of the Taronga chimps, but I have a list of the sires too for all the chimpanzee (Lisa, Shiba etc.) if you're wanting to write up the Taronga chimps anytime soon on this thread.

I completely agree regarding Bessie's line. It's something I often think about. Chiki's death was a huge blow, considering she was only 31 and would have gone on to have more offspring to continue her line, which would have compensated for Chimbuka's death 10 years later.

Cara turned 35 this year and is realistically fast approaching the end of her reporductive lifespan. I believe Lisa (at 35 years in 2014), will be the oldest mother to rear an infant to adulthood successfully if Liwali survives. I think the previous record was 33/34 years. Either way infant survival to mother's in their late 30s/40s if historically unheard of in Australsia. I really can't understand why Cara hasn't been recommended for breeding, considering her and Alexis are the end of their line. Samantha and Sally both have multiple relatives in Australasia.

Chiki does have a sister, Belle (1975), in the USA. I believe she has at least one surviving daughter, Maybelle (1989).

Tafin likes this.
  13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Slightly irrelevant, but does anyone know the cost to build the Taronga gorilla enclosure? Id appreciate the info, thanks! :):):)

14. Zoofan15

Taronga Zoo:

Common Chimpanzee
    Pan troglodytes

Males:

Lubutu: born 05/06/1993 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Snowy, Dam: Lisa
    Shabani: born 14/09/1994 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Monte, Dam: Shiba
    Samaki: born 27/11/2001 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Shiba
    Furahi: born 28/02/2003 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Kuma
    Shikamoo: born 25/07/2003 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Sacha
    Sule: born 04/04/2008 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Sacha
    Fumo: born 16/10/2013 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Shikamoo, Dam: Kuma
    Sudi: born 09/08/2014 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Shikamoo, Dam: Shiba
    Liwali: born 22/09/2014 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Samaki, Dam: Lisa

Females:

Spitter: born 01/06/1960 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Sailor, Dam: Biddy
    Koko: born 01/01/1972 in the wild, Sire: Wild born, Dam: Wild born
    Lisa: born 23/08/1979 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Jojo, Dam: Lulu
    Sacha: born 11/06/1980 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Jojo, Dam: Spitter
    Shiba: born 22/05/1981 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Jojo, Dam: Suzie
    Shona: born 09/10/1987 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Danny, Dam: Sutu
    Ceres: born 19/09/1990 at Givskud Zoo, Sire: Toto, Dam: Jenny
    Kuma: born 06/12/1991 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Snowy, Dam: Ficha
    Hannah: born 28/11/1993 at Belfast Zoo, Sire: Andy, Dam: Annie
    Kamili: born 02/09/1995 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Snowy, Dam: Koko
    Naomi: born 25/01/2001 at Givskud Zoo, Sire: Toto, Dam: Jenny
    Lani: born 26/05/2002 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Lisa
    Sembe: born 27/02/2008 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Lubutu, Dam: Shiba

Hybrid Orangutan
    Pongo pygmaeus x Pongo abelii

Males:

Jantan: born 11/07/1987 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Perang, Dam: Judy II

Females:

Willow: born 09/05/1985 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Perang, Dam: Wendy

Western Lowland Gorilla
    Gorilla gorilla gorilla

Males:

Kibali: born 25/03/2001 at La Valle De Singes, Sire: Yaounde, Dam: Moseka
    Mjukuu: born 30/10/2014 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Kibali, Dam: Mbeli
    Fabumi: born 13/05/2015 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Kibali, Dam: Frala

Females:

Frala: born 20/06/1981 at Apenheul Primate Park, Sire: Bongo, Dam: Mintha
    Johari: born 26/04/2000 at Melbourne Zoo, Sire: Motaba, Dam: Julia
    Mbeli: born 05/02/2003 at Taronga Zoo, Sire: Kibabu, Dam: Mouila

Tafin likes this.
  15. marmolady

Adelaide Zoo has announced that Sumatran orangutan, Karta, is expecting an infant in January 2017. This was an unplanned pregnancy. After all the difficulties she's had in the past, I desperately hope this finally works out for her.

From the zoo's website:
    Adelaide Zoo’s critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan is expecting a baby in mid-January 2017.

This news is cause for cautious excitement at Adelaide Zoo given this pregnancy follows the loss of a stillborn infant in November 2014.

Senior Primate Keeper Jodie Ellen said the primate team were pleased 34-year-old Karta had the opportunity to become a mum again, but were realistic about the challenges faced in the past.

“Hopes are high that our beloved Karta will have a successful pregnancy, it’s something we believe she greatly deserves,” Jodie said.

“This wasn’t a planned pregnancy, but nature intervened and we’ve proceeded with the pregnancy because Sumatran Orangutans are critically endangered in the wild and it is important we breed this species before they disappear from the planet forever.”

Since 1995, Karta has lost six infants and for many years, it was not known why each infant passed away shortly after birth.

Similar to humans, complications at birth or within a few days after birth are not unusual for great apes, however, unlike human births, there is less opportunity for medical intervention.

“In 2011, we discovered Karta’s anatomy might be the reason she has difficulties breastfeeding. In fact, Karta’s sister at Denver Zoo experiences the same problems, with keepers having to supplement feed her infant in order for it to survive,” Jodie said.

“We’ll be doing everything in our power to support our Karta; we have been training her for years and we have a supplementary feeding program in place so that we can help her feed the infant when it is born.

“We have a group of dedicated staff that will form the primary care team and will be on site 24 hours a day once the baby arrives.

“We are checking remotely overnight using a new top-of-the-line camera system which will give us much greater visibility before the birth, during and afterwards.

“We now feel positive that we are on the right track and understand why Karta has had so much trouble in the past and we are hopeful that, this time around, we can help Karta have the baby she so much deserves.”

With less than 7,000 Sumatran and Bornean orangutans estimated to be left in the wild, figures suggest this critically endangered species could become extinct in their native Sumatra and Borneo within the next ten years as the population continues to decline by as many as 1,000 a year.

As a conservation charity, Zoos SA is doing its bit to help save orangutans in the wild. Through our partnership with Wildlife Asia, we support habitat protection and rescue efforts for this iconic species.

Karta was born at San Diego Zoo on 22 July 1982 and arrived at Adelaide Zoo in November 1992.

Critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan expecting in the new year - Adelaide Zoo

Tafin and zooboy28 like this.
  16. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Wow! Fingers crossed for Karta (and Kluet) and all zoo staff. Hope everything goes well!

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So do I but with her history I have severe misgivings of it being successful. A very difficult situation for them- if its a livebirth I would almost be tempted to remove it from her but in this day and age that's very unlikely to be an option.

Tafin likes this.
  18. Pertinax

No idea but you are aware it was originally built for Pandas?

19. marmolady

The current thinking is that she has not been mismothering infants, at least in recent attempts. I believe it was in 2010 she had an infant whom she was observed to tend to and feed very well, and showed strong maternal instincts, it was just that the baby received very little milk due to the anatomy of Karta's nipples. She has been trained for years to accept the keepers feeding a baby; if it is a live infant, they might just have a chance. Karta has grieved heavily for infants lost in the past, to remove one as anything other than a last resort would be extremely cruel in my opinion.

20. Pertinax

I do agree with that sentiment too- its a very difficult situation. Hopefully her training may pay off if supplementary feeding is necessary. Sometimes feeding problems like that resolve over time if the baby can stay with her. But for Karta even having a live baby seems a problem.