Join our zoo community

Australian zoo mammal histories

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 21 Sep 2014.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Unfortunately, as I'm on CI for the next few years, most of my materials (guidebooks, annula reports, slides etc.) are all in storage, and I only have my memory to go on. And as I was in and out of Taronga on average once a fortnight between 1976 and 1996, dates when things came and went are pretty much a blur. So I don't hink I'll be too much help.

Patas Monkeys - I have photos of them at Taronga in 1983, 1984 and 1987, and then in Dubbo in 1990.

Jaguarundi at Taronga was there in 1979, along with a pair of servals and a pair of caracals (the male was named Claudius) and three puma (Cheyenne, Shawnee and Sioux). The wooden enclosures they were in were knocked down to build the Snow Leopard enclosure.

I've got photos of American Black bear at Taronga in 1975, 1977 and 1983. In 1975 & 1977 the bears were in the old pits at the bottom of the zoo. The young animals imported in the early 80's were named Jethro and Jed, and neither were black - one was cinnamon, and I've forgotten the other colour. They spent most of their time in Bear Canyon at the bottom of the zoo (but they may have been in the bear grottos before the Kodiak trio arrived).

Raccoon Dog were at Taronga, from memory, in the old cages next to the condors and Orangs in late 70's early 80's. Bobcat also lived in one of those cages, and at one time Red Fox.

Taronga had Red Pandas as early as 1975, I'm sure they were styani, and I know they bred, probably in 1977 or 1978, unsuccessfully.

The armadillo at Melbourne was a Hairy Armadillo, I don't think the species had been separated into Larger and Screaming at that stage.

:p

Hix

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

thanks for all that Hix. My only visit to an Australian zoo in the pre-2000 period was Melbourne in the early 90s and I don't think I remember anything that isn't still in the country.

I thought you were just on Christmas Island for a holiday!

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Notes above.

5. tetrapod

6. tetrapod

Notes above. My initial visit to Taronga was 1986 so I can remember with some certainty about seeing some species for the first time.

7. Chlidonias

thanks for the extra info. I'll drop Perth from the holders of hanuman and patas.

Do you know of any other Australian zoos which had black lemurs, because the NZ ones definitely came from somewhere in Australia?

8. tetrapod

Cool find. I would guess that would be about right. It was built after the great ape and nocturnal house on either side, but must be around the same time as the brickwork is the same! I don't think all the species came in the same time but I think that the tamarins, lemurs, capuchins, colobus and langurs definitely arrived early on. The serval was also an original resident.

9. Chlidonias

I've got the dates for all the styani in Australasia. I can post those when I get home tonight, just for interest's sake.

10. tetrapod

No worries, glad to help. Like I said I'm pretty sure that Perth never had both species, certainly not as recently as the 80s.

No, I think the black lemur record is a misprint unless you have seen the animals in the flesh (or photos)! I don't know of any other lemur species in Aust other than B+W ruffed, ringtail and the white-fronts. A real shame as other lemur spp would do well.

11. Chlidonias

oh also, while I'm here - the Siberian tiger at Mogo, the last one in the country. I think it came from Adelaide initially? Does anyone know when that died? I haven't been able to find out anything.

12. tetrapod

Correct it did come from Adelaide and died before 2000-1. Sorry cannot be any more accurate than that.

13. tetrapod

Just had a look on the old NZ mammal thread and you had the Talapoins leave in 1985, which would tie in with Perth opening up the Lesser Primates a year later.

You also have black lemurs arriving at Pouakai at same time as white-fronts. Perth exported the lemurs along with 4 white-handed gibbons (2 dark and 2 pale) at the same time. Maybe the black lemurs are confused with black(ish) gibbons?

14. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Nah, they were both browny coloured, but the publicity called them cinnamon and something else, like russett.

Nup, working here for the next three to five years.

Taronga had Red-fronted Brown Lemurs for a short time, 1.2 I think.

:p

Hix

15. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

The best I can say here is early 90s at the latest; it was certainly gone by the time I started visiting in around 1996-7.

16. Chlidonias

for the Black Lemurs being imported to/present in NZ, all the official documents I have seen list "Black Lemur Lemur macao" - but none list White-fronted (or Brown) Lemurs. I think what may have happened was that the White-fronteds were imported from Perth as Lemur macao rather than fulvus or albifrons, and hence I ended up with both species as being imported to Pouakai in 1995. I'll remove Black Lemur from my NZ list.

On that topic, I also have notes for imports from Australia to NZ of two pairs of Agile Gibbons in 1984 and one pair of Concolor Gibbons in 1991 - anyone know anything about these species at all?

17. Chlidonias

thanks to both of you.

18. tetrapod

On the lemur front I think that would be the correct move.

Perth was in the late 80s king of gibbons with individuals of each of the (then) named species. So they did have Agile gibbons, but whether they were sent to NZ, I don't know. Pretty sure they didn't had two pairs though. All I know is that a number of lar gibbons were exported to NZ from Perth.

And so far as Concolors, this was the name given to all the White-cheeks (which were considered a subspecies). Perth had not bred theirs yet in 91, but the export may have been from Melbourne as they were the other Australian collection with White-cheeks at the time. Is it possible that gibbons were imported into Australia (probably Melb/Syd), quarantined and then sent onwards to NZ?

19. tetrapod

Yes, that makes sense about the bears. Only saw them once.

And I also forgot that Adelaide previously had the Mongoose lemurs too!

20. Chlidonias

well that cleared that up the concolor mystery for me then, because 1991 was when Wellington got their pair of white-cheeked gibbons! The female Eeyore came from Perth (born there in 1981) and the male Vilson from Melbourne (born there in 1987).

The Perth pair Phillip and Racquel, incidentally, had babies in 1981 (Eeyore, as mentioned), 1984 (still-born), 1985 (Ricky), and 1992 (Robyn, now at Wellington). Racquel died in 1994.