Join our zoo community

Australian zoo mammal histories

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 21 Sep 2014.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Notes above.

2. tetrapod

Definitely no females imported. Massive keeper disappointment that they were never able to import females before the males died.

3. tetrapod

Bloody well hope so!!! Impressive cat spp. Crazy that the region seems to only show interest in servals.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really enjoyed seeing the two female caracals at Wellington Zoo recently. Not sure if I just caught them at a good time but they were highly active, almost climbing the walls. It'll be good if Darling Downs Zoo acquire the species (and any other zoo in the region) as I believe the lack of support for the species in the region is the reason Wellington Zoo have not imported a male (currently no facility in the region to relocate offspring etc.)

5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It appears to be part of the ZAA planning to down size the number of species to one or two taxon when one looks at the amount of wild cats species that were in the country to a few years ago is quite interesting, Its the start and stop again action of some of our major zoos that depends on what the pin up species at the time not just in cats or monkeys but across the board, a case in point would be the Bongo lots on interest in this species for a while but now interest is gone to the Nyala!

6. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since when were there two species of ocelot?

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what do you mean?

8. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When were ocelots split into two species?

9. Chlidonias

are you talking about ocelot being listed twice in the list on the document? They are just down twice under different generic names (the older Felis and the more recent Leopardus) - they are the same species. Puma is also listed twice on there under two different genera.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

I just came across the Policy on Exhibiting Primates in NSW, dated 2000.
    https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/121569/primate-policy-welfare.pdf

Down near the bottom in Appendix One (page 57) is a list of the primates held in NSW. Most of them are all good but there are a few I have queries over, if anyone here can help (e.g. @tetrapod or @Hix).

On the list there are Chacma and Guinea Baboons, and Entellus Langurs. I was pretty sure the Entellus never got anywhere near the 2000s - or even 1990s - and similarly for the baboons (and during discussions on this thread Chacma and Olive Baboons came up but not Guinea). Thoughts on these three species and their dates?

Patas Monkeys are on the list too, although they didn't quite get to 2000 [but the policy would have been compiled over the previous couple of years], and also a few other "extinct" species which were definitely still in NSW in 2000 so they're fine (e.g. Stump-tailed Macaque and Red-handed Tamarin).

Last edited: 24 Mar 2018
  11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Western Plains had Entellus Langurs on one of the islands, and I'm sure they also had Patas after that at some point when they moved up from Taronga.

As for the Baboons, I imagine there may have been some in research labs either somewhere in Australia or new Zealand, and even though research animals aren't on display, it would be prudent for a document like this to include species they might end up in a display facility if they are no longer needed for research. Alternatively, a zoo may have had an interest in obtaining one of those species at some time, and the document authors were aware of this and included the species. The author, Matthew Crane, worked at Taronga many, many years ago and has a lot of contacts in the industry.

:p

Hix

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. tetrapod

Chacmas - Melbourne had them late 70s - maybe early 80s. They had a range of spp in that old baboon row, so it's possible that there were Guineas. While I was a bit young at this stage to really be aware of what was there, I seem to recall Chacmas, Olives, Hamadryas + Geladas. The first three were decent breeding groups so it's possible that some might end up in labs. Could they have been exported to NZ?
    Entellus - Dubbo had them at least until the early or mid 80s, then replaced by Patas. Adelaide had them late 80s (possibly from Dubbo?). Certainly gone by mid 90s.
    A number of macaque spp were held privately into early 00s inc Stump-tails.

Chlidonias likes this.
  13. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I may have missed it whilst reading, but there doesn't appear to be any mention of the striped hyenas that were at Perth zoo back in the 70s. I have no physical evidence of this in the way of photos, etc. but remember them well as they were kept in the old bear dens.

14. Chlidonias

Posts #54 and 57, page 3.

15. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"FunkyGibbon said:
    Does anyone know if the persian leopard was on display at Melbourne before it's death? I visited the zoo in December 2012 but don't remember seeing it.
    the leopard was in one of the Big Cat cages (the area where the snow leopards etc were). I'm fairly sure she was in there right up to her death, but I wouldn't guarantee it. The cage remained empty for quite a while afterwards. "

I don't have documentation to back it up, but I remember hearing/reading that there was originally 2 females at Melbourne, sisters, but 1 was sent to Singapore when they could no longer be kept together. The remaining female only had one eye, but got into the news a few times when silly school kids climbed the safety barrier and poked fingers thru the wire. I remember there was another incident with another dumb visitor too. She lived in the end enclosure of the big cat row. This enclosure had snow leopards in it until recently.

steveroberts and Jambo like this.