Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo Aye-Ayes in San Fran and Denver

Discussion in 'United States' started by ericnielsenpdx, 4 Jul 2008.

1. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share some news - in addition to the baby aye-aye just born to parents at the San Francisco Zoo ( sent this spring on loan from Duke University ), come the addition of a pair of aye-ayes to the Denver Zoo. I was there last weekend, and saw that there was construction in the nocturnal area of the Primate Panorama's Emerald Forest Building. I asked a keeper what they were adding and she said they had a pair of aye-ayes in quarantine ( also on loan from Duke ) and that as soon as the animals were acclimated to the exhibit and to the public, they would make a public announcement and reopen the exhibit area.
    I think this is really exciting. Denver has an amazing primate collection already that is very well displayed, many in mixed species exhibits.
    Also , the morning we were there at the Denver Zoo, a snow leopard had given birth in her exhibit and we saw the newborn when it was just a couple minutes old. Apparently the red pandas became parents that morning, but the parents and offspring had been pulled off exhibit already.

2. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Great news!

3. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Really Good news. I've seen the first Pair of Aye-Aye's at the San Francisco Zoo in 2002, I think, they have sent them back to Duke a few years ago, so I din't knew they got now a new pair of them.

I think, the female came pregant to San Francisco ? Is Duke still breeding Aye-Aye's ?

I've met the male Aye-Aye at the Berlin Zoo last week. I know the keeper , so he took me with him into the exhbit, and " Mario", the Aye-Aye, jumpend on my shoulder and looked into my eyes. He loved it to be touched, it was so wonderful, to see an Aey-Aye that close.

The Zoo hopes to get a female for him, but it's not easy. Frankfurt has a Pair, but the female is to young to breed and she is handraised, maybe it will be difficult to keep her together with the male.

4. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Really Good news. I've seen the first Pair of Aye-Aye's at the San Francisco Zoo in 2002, I think, they have sent them back to Duke a few years ago, so I din't knew they got now a new pair of them.

I think, the female came pregant to San Francisco ? Is Duke still breeding Aye-Aye's ?

I've met the male Aye-Aye at the Berlin Zoo last week. I know the keeper , so he took me with him into the exhbit, and " Mario", the Aye-Aye, jumpend on my shoulder and looked into my eyes. He loved it to be touched, it was so wonderful, to see an Aey-Aye that close.

The Zoo hopes to get a female for him, but it's not easy. Frankfurt has a Pair, but the female is to young to breed and she is handraised, maybe it will be difficult to keep her together with the male.