Join our zoo community

AZA Safe

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by MKE Zoo guy, 13 Nov 2018.

1. MKE Zoo guy

MKE Zoo guy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can anyone explain to me what's the difference between the overall mission of the AZA and conservation and this new program that they are promoting called AZA Safe. I get that they have selected 10 species to focus on but isn't the overall mission/vision of the AZA on conservation the same just not specifically focused on 10 species?

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SAFE (Saving Animals From Extinction) has actually been around for several years now. It's similar to their overall mission of conservation, but is essentially an extra boost, with a collaborative effort to focus on a certain few species across the country (in addition to animals zoos already work on). The financial amount invested is much higher than the average program for a species and their is a much bigger effort to directly work on conservation rather than the more passive approach usually given. For example, with the African Penguin, they have constructed thousands of artificial nests because the last of nesting areas is a big problem for the species. They've also come up with better protocols for oil spills, educated those in their native areas on caring for them, etc.
    Many of the SAFE species (I think there's about 20 total now?) have info available at most zoos, even those that don't keep the species. For example, I've been seeing a lot of displays about the vaquita recently, even though no one keeps them in captivity.

Wisp O' Mist and MKE Zoo guy like this.
  3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I do not mean this cynically: it is also a means of bringing the conservation role of zoos to the public's attention. It identifies a particular zoo as a participant in a larger effort with sister zoos to conserve a specific species. Even a small zoo can participate in conservation in ways that they previously could not.

TinoPup likes this.