Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Babirusa and Anoa

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I've been reading the international zoo yearbook, and I've found that Chester's Babirusa were brought into the collection in 1997. They were kept with the anoa. Why aren't the 2 species still kept together?

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

hornedbill, didn't you already have a "babirusa" thread? did you really need to start another "babirusa & anoa" thread, just to mention that chester once kept the two together?

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They were seperated owing to intra-specific aggression. The zoo is phasing out the anoa. It is difficult to export anoa to the continent, and apparently everyone who wants anoa in Britain already has them. They are not going to breed from the current pair again. They seem destined to live out their lives on their tranquil island, unseen by most visitors. I am an anoa adopter. I think they're quite nice.

4. Writhedhornbill

I've fed them and I also agree they are nice. But there are 2 groups on the zoo masterplan. Maybe they're hoping for Mountain anoas.....

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

if here in Australia we were allowed to have just two more types of exotic animal/antelopey thingy's id love anoa and okapi.

6. Writhedhornbill

Anoa are sweet things, but their horns are leathal.