Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo baboons

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 21 Dec 2009.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

can anyone up that way tell me about the baboons at Auckland Zoo? They just had one male chacma (P.ursinus) in 2008 but ISIS now lists them as also having 3.1 hamadryas baboons (P.hamadryas) -- and also, confusingly, 0.1 P.h.hamadryas as a separate listing.

How long have they had the hamadryas baboons for? And has the chacma been intergrated with them or is he still on his own?

(Wellington is listed as having 0.4 P.hamadryas and 7.5 P.h.hamadryas.....am I misunderstanding how the ISIS listings work, or what??!)

Last edited: 11 Sep 2022
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That bit just means there are 7.5 that they're confident they can identify to the subspecies level and 0.4 they're not so sure about! (though, to be honest, I'm not sure if there are any valid subspecies of P. hamadryas other than the type)

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Auckland received 2:0 baboon's (Not sure what sub-species) from Adelaide Zoo in July. Before that they had 0:2 of the same sub species from Wellington. They came to hopefully start a breeding group.

4. Chlidonias

that's what I figured. What confuses me is that all their baboons are housed together in one troop which are constantly breeding, which sort of screws up any distinctions they may be making as to separate subspecific status

their breeding group has started: there is one baby at the zoo at the moment.

5. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

Tony the Chacma is still at Auckland Zoo, and has not been integrated with the others - (he is considerably bigger and quite a scary dude!)

I believe (but I am not certain) that he is a loan animal, so that may be why he doesn't appear on ISIS holdings. Perhaps a keeper can confirm this info?

6. Chlidonias

he is from Franklin Zoo, and he is listed on ISIS

7. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

Tony lives seperate from the others. They alternate who is inside/outside. The Hamadyras troop is made up of 2 males, 2 females and a new baby boy who must be a few months old now.

8. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

Sorry - misread your original post re:chacmas

9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would guess that the confusion of Papio taxonomy relates to when all Papio baboons were classed as subspecies of P. hamadryas. Current thinking lists Yellows, Chacmas, Olives, Guineas and Hamadryas sensu strico as seperate species. There still remains some confusion on full species vs subspecies of a few odd populations ie Kinda baboons. I have never seen any suggestion that the Arabian population is not the same as the North African.

The only other concern is where captive populations consist of hybrids commonly between Olives and Hamadryas, but then they should be classed as Papio spp.

10. daveb

daveb Well-Known Member

The Hamadryas troop at Auckland are 2.2.1:
    Afar (M?)
    Wasaro (M?)
    Ayisha (F01)
    Kito (F01)
    Yafeu (M09) father is Afar and mother is Ayisha

Kito and Wasaro have been observed mating so there could be more infants soon.

There is also Tony (M99) the Chacma on loan from Franklin.

Hope this helps.

Tafin likes this.
  11. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Tony is on loan? I didnt know that. Is there any particular reason why?

12. daveb

daveb Well-Known Member

Space at Franklin I think. Remember having a conversation with the director there a while back but can't really recall the details. Sorry old age!

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He was on his own at Franklin Zoo after his father died and since Auckland still had some of there original troop left it was decided to try and intergrete him with them. The loan was agreed so if he couldn't live with them then he would be returned to Franklin.

14. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Oh, He doesnt live with the hamadryas troop so does that mean he will be leaving some time soon?

15. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Daveb to ur post above Uphau was born to a unknowin male from wellington zoo as Ayesha was already pregnint befor she arrived at Auckland

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So the Auckland Zoo Hamadryas baboon troop are:

Males:

Afar (Unknown)
    Wasaro (Unknown)
    Yafeu (July 2009)
    Sekani (April 2011)
    Badi (December 2012)

Females:

Ayisha (September 2001)
    Kito (May 2002)
    Naeemah (July 2011)

Does anyone know when Afar and Wasaro were born and if there have been any births, deaths or exports since 2012?

Tafin likes this.
  17. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Afar and Wasaro were born at Adeilade to Gen (now at Perth zoo) and Gina (deceased).Though the year of their births is unknown they were born between 2004,2007.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

Thanks for that. I've also been unsuccessfully trying to research the history of Auckland Zoo's Chacma baboons. Let me know if you have any info on them.

All I have so far is the names of seven of them the zoo were curating in 2002: Nicholas, Nero, Maple, Matthew, Marcus, Cleo and Claudette. I'm guessing the first letters of their names indicate relations (N, M and C)? If you or anyone else have any info on these animals, it would be much appreciated.

Tafin likes this.
  19. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Tony was another male that spent some time at Auckland.All deacesed by 2006 though.Tony was the last Chacma baboon and was exported early 2009 to Franklin.I'll see if can find any info about it too.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

All the Auckland baboons were deceased by 2006? They must have been quite old when they were transferred to the current enclosure in the late 1990s. It'd be interesting to learn more about their parentage and siblings so any info on the Auckland Chacma baboons would be appreciated.

I remember Tony, he originated from a circus didn't he? Or am I thinking of Foxy at Zion Wildlife Gardens?

Tafin likes this.