Join our zoo community

Batu Secret Zoo Batu Secret Zoo news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by vogelcommando, 16 Mar 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Some Batu Secret Zoo's news that I recently found on Facebook, some of the news dates back to 2019
    Batu Secret Zoo

July 2019
    * 10 mossy frog (Theloderma corticale) arrived from Tierpark Berlin, some of the eggs from this species has hatched at the zoo.
    * The flamingo pond is changed into a new exhibit called Lemur Kingdom, birds at the flamingo pond, such as the American flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber), greater flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus), and several anatidae are moved to Eco Green Park.
    * A male Sumatran elephant (Elephas maximus sumatranus) is born

December 2019
    * Lemur Kingdom is open to the public, the lemurs in the exhibit are: Common brown lemur (Eulemur fulvus), collared brown lemur (Eulemur collaris),ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta), black lemur (Eulemur macaco), red ruffed lemur (Varecia rubra), and black-and-white ruffed lemur (Varecia variegata).
    * A pair of grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis), Apolon dan Diana, moved to a new exhibit covering an area of 1300 m2, the exhibit also has an underwater view, the original exhibit was deemed inadequate.

January 2020
    * A new animal hospital is under construction, which include: Laboratorium, operating room, quarantine cages, meeting room, and other.
    * A sitatunga (Tragelaphus spekii) is born on January 4.
    * A lion-tailed macaque (Macaca silenus) is born, this species is keep behind the screen.
    * Several scimitar oryx (Oryx dammah) are born: four oryx (Two male and two female) on December of 2019, a female on January 11, and another one on January 17. In total, there is 22 scimitar oryx born at Batu Secret Zoo.
    * A year old male blue wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus) and a seven months old female blesbok (Damaliscus pygargus phillipsi) arrived from Košice Zoo.

February 2020
    * A male common impala (Aepyceros melampus melampus), named Jackie, is born at the zoo on February 5. The mother refused to breastfeed her baby, so the vet gave Jackie bottled cow milk. In total, there is 9 common impala born at Batu Secret Zoo.
    * A male giant otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), named Chico, arrived from River Safari (I already create a thread about him here: Batu Secret Zoo's new animal [Batu Secret Zoo])

Zorro, JurassicMax, Fargusno and 3 others like this.
  3. Salt Merchant

Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and Dassie rat like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is it known how many clouded leopard remain at Kinantan in Bukittinggi?

Salt Merchant likes this.
  5. Salt Merchant

They have five of them in 2016, with one died a year later. Two of them is sent to Batu Secret Zoo, so I guess there would be two remain in the Bukit Kinantan Zoo if they didn't acquired a new specimen.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Salt Merchant

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Liberec Zoo has sent 2 Golden Chinese takins to Batu Secret Zoo. Today morning they are scheduled to touch Jakarta airport via Qatar Airways cargo. I hope they get used to the hot weather (we had new snow yesterday).

Last edited: 18 Mar 2021
    JurassicMax and Salt Merchant like this.
  8. Salt Merchant

Great news, I hope they will live a long time in their new home.

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know if the Batu zoo will get also female takins from China or Japan? Because Liberec sends only two young males (1 and 2 years olds, still in dull brown colour).

And I am still a little worried about their aclimatisation and heat shock. Takins are in full winter coat and will take time till they will shed it.

Liberec is a mountain town with a small ski areal within its limits, for better idea of their climate I link an old unrelated vid.

10. Salt Merchant

Not yet, but they often gave more information of the animals they acquire when they arrive. Like when Bertus (Indian rhinoceros) and Chico arrived, they said that they will acquire a mate for them in the future, I think they would say the same for their golden takins. They don't specificaly say what zoo they will acquire the mate from, so I'm not sure if its China or Japan

Kifaru Bwana and Jana like this.
  11. Salt Merchant

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wish they would stick to Malayan tapir and create space to breed the good number of currently not represented wild founders (of which a good number exist).

13. Salt Merchant

Two zebra species, Chapman's and Grant's, is born at Batu Secret Zoo. Gimbul, the newborn male Grant's zebra, is the second of its species to be born at the zoo. While a unnamed newborn male Chapman's zebra is the fourth of its species to be born at the zoo.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CM8ha4aD8tL/?igshid=tpuohnmpk3oo

JurassicMax likes this.
  14. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

The same flight also contained 3 female Nyalas (* 2019) from Zoo Jihlava, so how many nyalas does Batu Secret Zoo currently have?

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Jihlava (24/03/2021) Login • Instagram

15. Salt Merchant

Three, nyala is a new addition to the zoo as they haven't kept them in the past.

Zorro and JurassicMax like this.
  16. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, do you know if they have plans to get a male nyala?

17. Salt Merchant

I think so. Batu Secret Zoo often acquired one species, sometimes a pair or more than that but with same gender. Like with the Indian rhinoceros (Male) and giant otter (Also male). They learn how to keep that species first, and when they think that they learn enough, they would acquire a mate for that individual.

Zorro and JurassicMax like this.
  18. Salt Merchant

Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and JurassicMax like this.
  19. Salt Merchant

20. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member