Join our zoo community

Batu Secret Zoo Batu Secret Zoo news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by vogelcommando, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

During last days Batu Zoo and Surabaya Zoo did ,long prepared, transports of many animals.
    Batu received from Surabaya following animals:
    - 2 males and 6 females of Proboscis Monkeys
    - large pair of Komodo Dragons
    - pair of Babirusas.
    Komodos are visible in their exhibit in Reptile zone and it looks that they adapting fast to their new indoor home.
    Proboscis and Babirusas stay in offshow area.
    New exhibit for Proboscis will be officially open in early December.

Batu Zoo sent to Surabaya:
    - adult female of Rothschild Giraffe to breed with Surabaya's single male.
    - pair of Lions
    - pair of Racoons
    - pair of Ring tail lemurs
    - Puma male
    - group of Banded mongooses
    Some additional transports will take place soon, but I don't know what animals will be transported.

Kifaru Bwana and Salt Merchant like this.
  2. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

According to Batu Zoo's Curator it's Bronze Quoll .

Dassie rat and Salt Merchant like this.
  3. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

From the news I read, Batu also sent two male sitatungas and two pairs of mouflons.

According to the same news, they also received a pair of Javan warty pigs, an male Bawean deer, and four female wallabies.

Agus: Jangan Sampai Fungsi Rekreasi Mematikan Fungsi Konservasi

Antoine and Dassie rat like this.
  4. Salt Merchant

5. Salt Merchant

6. Salt Merchant

The proboscis monkeys has finally been exhibited after being quarantined for a while. The fish is still there and the false gharial will probably be there soon.

Batu Secret Zoo claimed to have the largest collection of primate in Southeast Asia with 35 species. Mandai might have more but I don't know much about their collection.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXlVQnlBHBg/?utm_medium=copy_link

7. Salt Merchant

Batu Secret Zoo received another transport from Europe, this time a pair of blesbok from Košice Zoo and a pair of female Nile lechwe from Warsaw Zoo.

Batu already keep an male Nile lechwe, who is the only of its kind in Asia for years prior to the arrival of the females.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CX5rCnKvT9S/?utm_medium=copy_link

kiang and Jana like this.
  8. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Some updates from my last visit:
    - pair of Sun bears and family of 5 Oriental small clawed otters moved to exhibit in the back of hotel Pohon. This exhibit received some renovation (wooden platforms for bears). For many years this exhibit was occupied by Lions but after transfers to Surabaya and Jogjakarta there was need to find new inhabitants. For Sun Bears it's a big improvement - their life space is few times bigger now.
    - small cage for Ocelot was replaced by attractive aquarium. Ocelot was moved to new breeding center for cats.
    - glass fronted exhibit that was inhabited by pair of young Mona monkeys is under intensive renovation.
    The new species that will live there are Emperor Tamarins and White Faced Saki monkey and later Sloth. Primates will arrive very soon from Germany and Singapore. It's another EEP species that Batu Zoo will start to keep. I think it will be first time when Saki and Emperor Tamarins will be imported to Indonesia.
    - beginning of the year brought some new babies : 2 rock Hyraxes, some song birds in breeding center, blackbuck, axis deer, pygmy marmoset.
    - 4 Bengal Tigers left zoo to find new home in Philippines, Avilon Zoo.
    - young giraffe female and Brazilian tapir female were moved from Maharani Zoo to Batu in late December. New animals are in their exhibits.
    With this move, Batu finally create a pair of Brazilian tapirs and male Fernando is no longer lonely.
    Batu Secret Zoo is non stop with changes and development. I have heard that some renovations are planned for upcoming months- bison and sun bear exhibit will received new look and better condition for animals. Golden takins will have finally their own exhibit.
    And Fossas will back again to Batu after longer brake.

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What number of visitors gets this zoo per year? I can´t find anything online, I know that Java island has high population but this zoo is rather small so i have absolutly no idea what to expect.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  10. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Before Covid pandemic, Batu Zoo was very popular destination in East Java and welcomed 1,5 million visitors each year on avarage. Last two years of restrictions affected visitors attendance significantly. Unfortunately I don't know how many visitors visited Batu last year. I guess way below million.

Jana and Salt Merchant like this.
  11. Salt Merchant

Wait, they have ocelot? I didn't know about that! Where is the exhibit located and what lives there during your visit?

Honestly, I can say that Batu Secret Zoo is the only Indonesian zoo that I have a faith on. They balanced the "conservation and entertainment" aspect most Indonesian zoos and aquariums (Kind of) attemped. Their recent additions is great and not something you would expect, while some other Indonesian zoos and aquariums add animals based on the probability of them appearing on a Indonesian animal celebrities YouTube videos.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2022
  12. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

Yes, single male Ocelot lived many years in exhibit that is visible only from restaurant in Pohon hotel (same as old pair of Javan leopards).
    Replacing this small exhibit with open aquarium was very good decision.
    Ocelot might back to new South American exhibit complex close to Giant Otter if zoo will find money to build it.

13. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Any photos of the aquarium? Or fishes that live there?

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How many Javan leopard do they have now? The old pair post reproductie?

15. Kifaru Bwana

Pair of babirusa from where? Also how many anoa do they have and from where?

16. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

I have only video that is hard to upload to gallery here. Fish species are coming ones - Pacu, Pangasius, Redtail catfish, asiatic arowana and pig nose turtle.

17. Salt Merchant

Judging from Fajar's description, I'm guessing this one? Screenshot_2022-01-22-08-35-27-32.png

Fajar likes this.
  18. Fajar

Fajar Well-Known Member

As I wrote in my post, additional pair of Babirusas arrived from Surabaya zoo to increase genetic diversity in Batu Zoo's small group. There is 3,3 Babirusa now in Batu.
    Batu had only pair of Mountain anoas - confiscated animals from Sulawesi. I heard that female was pregnant when she died. Zoo keepers said it was related to firework event in close proximity to zoo.
    Male should be keep off show.
    From zoo's curator I have heard that Batu wants import more Mountain Anoas from Sulawesi if confiscated animals will be available.

19. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Pregnant when died? Well crap.. (thanks a lot fireworks)

That aquarium looks pretty awesome tho, but stil I'm surprised that this used to be an ocelot exhibit, yet I didn't see it during my visit to Batu Secret Zoo back in 2014 (I think I didn't get to see what's inside Pohon Inn)

20. Kifaru Bwana

Right, I applaud the increase in babirusa numbers. Did they breed yet at Batu and all northern babirusa?

The Mountain anoa female dies from firecrackers sounds their enclosure is lacking somehow in space as well as secure tranquility.

I hope they can make mends and it would be great if they invest in lowland anoa too?