Join our zoo community

Five Sisters Zoo Park Bears for Five Sisters

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 8 Sep 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Five Sisters is hoping to rehome a pair of Brown Bears who were rescued from a travelling circus in Germany. The bears are currently being held in France whilst the park tries to raise the £80,000 needed to buuld them an enclosure for them.
    Zoo vows to give bears necessities - Scotsman.com News

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

This is interesting and very ambitious for a collection that was , not so long ago, on the verge of possible closure? It is a nice little collection but bears may be beyond its scope as it only caters for a few small mammals at present. I wish them well in their efforts though.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

This would certainly be a very big step for the place but knowing the owner and some of his staff,I don't doubt that they will make it work,also I have seen the area of land they are planning on using for the enclosure,it will look very good and should also give the Bears plenty of chance to hide if they so wish!!

5. johnstoni.

johnstoni. Well-Known Member

Well, a campaign of this nature worked extremely well for Yorkshire Wildlife Park, perhaps if this is successful it will develop into a model followed by many other collections wishing to expand, ethically, into larger species and raise their profile. I am in no way suggesting this is why they are doing it, only that it I feel it is worthwhile in more ways that one, and should be emulated by others.

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This really would cement my observation/theory that the bears to zoos ratio increases as the region considered gets further north in the UK. i.e. south of Whipsnade, next to none, Edinburgh upwards, you're tripping over them.

7. Nisha

8. Nisha

9. kiang

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

11. Nisha

12. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

As I understand it the bears were not rescued from a travelling circus in Germany as this country has regulations for the accommodation of circuses bears and they would not be allowed to be continually housed in a lorry measuring just 10m square. I have tried to find out more details and it appears these were animals of a retired circus trainer who gave them up when he became too ill to care for them. Although it good news they are hopefully going to be re-homed in a purpose built exhibit.

13. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

That's as I understand the situation, the bear's owner/trainer now retired was unable to care for them any longer,he must have been fond of them though as he didn't just simply dispose of them when he retired, he continued to look after them until it became difficult for him to do so, good wishes to the bears in their new home, hope it all goes well.

14. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

An update from the newsletter reports that Five Sisters have reached £60,000 and need another £20,000 for completion. The bears journey will begin on the 28th March and they should arrive on the 30th if all goes well.

15. kiang

16. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Do any members have news of how the ex circus bears are settling into their new home?

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Zoo grins as circus bears prove a hit - Top stories - Scotsman.com

18. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There really ought to be a law against people making unsubstantiated claims about "misery" and "mistreated" in order to raise money and to boost their own egos.