Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo "Bears of the World" random discussion

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Nov 2017.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

In this case it is Edinburgh staff, but there has been issues with information being posted on here and having impacts on animal movements. So if there is leaks then yes why not try and find them. Its not about having a laugh at zoochat members.

2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

How does an unidentified keeper at Edinburgh intentionally giving out dubious information about Chester (which is what was suggested) help to find a 'leak'?

Also interested to know how chat posted on a chat forum has actually impacted animal movements?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2017
    Fallax likes this.
  3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It helps Edinburgh Zoo find out who is leaking information in their keeping staff. Easy enough tell keeper A, panda leaving for Chester. Tell keeper B pandas are going back to China. Well keeper A is the leak and you take action.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting this is a test by Chester zoo management, who to be fair have gone out of their way to engage with this forum.

Brum and Maguari like this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've split off the "Bears of the World" theme from the news thread.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

The murky world of zoo-based espionage :D
    I find it all a bit far fetched but you never know... management at Edinburgh keeping close tabs on the Zoochat Chester thread just in case their plan comes to fruition.

6. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did keeper A and keeper B fallout and stop talking to each other?

Brum and Zia like this.
  7. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A lot of zoos will keep a very keen eye on this forum which is exactly why some people should learn to think before posting!

zoogiraffe and ShonenJake13 like this.
  8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Well I would assume they would hope it was posted on the Edinburgh thread as it is Edinburgh news firstly.

UK zoos are well aware of zoochat, from management to unpaid volunteers.

9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The pandas are only partly to blame, senior management is primarily the reason why the collection has gone West.

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know of at least three imports into UK zoos which have been stopped or rearranged because of things posted on Zoochat. I assume there are many more.

zoogiraffe and ShonenJake13 like this.
  11. Chlidonias

Really?

Quotes from @zoogiraffe (Chester Zoo - Chester Zoo 2017 #1):
    "Doesn't matter who told him what,because I am willing to bet if it was zoo staff they were having a laugh,by telling a pack of lies to see just how long it was before it was posted on here!"
    "It happens at more than just Chester,I know that it has happened at another place that this user has visited as the staff told me they did as they knew anything they said would end of on here!"

Called out by @FunkyGibbon and myself on that thread as how absolutely idiotic this is.

Zia likes this.
  12. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can you tell us what these were and why?

Zia likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

In some cases - potentially including this occasion - the fact the information may or may not be eventually posted on Zoochat isn't as relevant as the fact it is posted somewhere; I know one occasion where a leak was plugged due to keepers deliberately letting a particularly juicy (but false) bit of information slip to a regular visitor whose trustworthiness had come into question. After the information was posted to social media, the staff of the collection in question were then told to stop telling anything off-record to that individual.

I would be more specific, but the user in question is still a member of this forum.

As noted elsewhere, it wouldn't be the specific thread they would be keeping an eye on, but the forum in general.

I don't think it would be wise to name specific names or locations when it comes to the most notable example - which many of the more long-standing members might actually recall - but in general terms:

Collection A was to receive Species X from Collection B; however Collection B had not yet been officially notified by the studbook that this was going to happen. A Zoochatter with links to the latter collection heard a rumour about this and created a sockpuppet account for the sole purpose of leaking the information in order to cause trouble. Trouble did ensue and as a result this particular move did not happen. However, Collection A *was* able to obtain Species X several years later.

bongorob likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

That's not plugging a leak, that's putting a bit of gum over the hole and hoping the water stops running into the basin.

Zia likes this.
  15. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Am sure Zoogiraffe is right but maybe I should have said I do not believe it is about having a laugh at Zoochat members.

I am not trusting by nature, too many people in the world will pull your pants down. I will do something similar to see if I can trust someone, but it not fake news or its insignificant to not cause trouble.

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

You have just proved why its pointless saying anything to you as you always get the wrong end of the stick.If you re-read what I said I just said that Senior management were laughing at what was said here!!

That and when ever I comment you just want an argument!!!!

17. Chlidonias

To be fair zoogiraffe, in that particular string of posts I had mentioned keepers lying, Zia was responding directly to my comment about keepers lying, and your response to Zia was lacking in punctuation and hence could easily have been misconstrued as you saying management as opposed to keepers were lying (in the context of the preceding posts).

Zia and Indlovu like this.
  18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Exactly so. Not to say that is the case, but, as I say, it's exactly the sort of thing you would use if you were attempting that - a big, attention grabbing story that can have details tweaked to tell different people.

In any case, I'd generally rather be cautious and only post things officially released or that are visible by any visitor to the zoo to avoid causing problems. We are (normally) on the zoos' side, after all!

19. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That reminds me very much of Tyrion in Game of Thrones season two, if anyone gets the reference you get brownie points off me!

20. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

@zoogiraffe if you are going to post comments that are out of context of the conversation (and lacking in punctuation) then misunderstandings will happen. Nonetheless - it looks like that is in fact what you were suggesting previously.